I'm in a tight spot....Any Ideas?

chasdvorak

So....I'm getting ready in a few weeks to set up at a resort in Mesa, AZ for most of Feb/Mar and I have a parking problem. The resort is booked and my spot is extremely tight since it has a tree and light post that I have to get in between while backing in. In the past, an RV dealership next door would park my coach with a fork lift for a small fee but they have stopped that service after several years. I have a short bed but I don't have a slider hitch so the problem is compounded to a degree and the street width is also limited.

One thought is to back in as far as possible, unhitch the coach and then drive around the block to re-hitch from the opposite direction. I'm hoping to get the coach straight enough to avoid the tree/light post, and then wiggle it in. The resort is a gated community and traffic is minimal so I'd have some time to negotiate this maneuver. The next door neighbor is also on an RV site so I may be able to have him move his car for some extra room. Has anyone ever tried this method?

I'm open to any suggestions and we really enjoy this resort so I'd hate to move elsewhere. I'd even be willing to leave $5 on the driver's seat if any Top Guns thought they could back it in without causing any damage (kidding..I paid much more in the past and appreciated the service). I thought I'd call around to see if any of the local RV dealers offered this type of service. Maybe even a Craigs List or TaskRabbit posting for help??? I posted some pictures of the site below. The 5th Wheel in the picture is a short 30' or so...I'm trying to park a 39' Big Horn. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_0025.jpgIMG_0026.jpgIMG_0024.jpg

jbeletti

Hey Chuck - I'm pretty good at back but not amazing. If the road is pretty wide, may not be impossible to do with a truck.

Wondering if you can find an RV transporter or a retired trucker around there to do it for you. Those guys are surgeons when it comes to this.

Or find Kevin Wolbeck to do it for you :)

brianlajoie

If you don't get any takers for parking it, I would have extra beers on hand and ask your neighbors to help guide / watch the light, tree and back of truck. Take it slow and easy and I think you should be ok.

Oregon_Camper

Can you back in either way?

I'd try to back in with the light pole on the inside of my turn, so I could keep an eye on it. The tree is pesky, but a large blanket draped over it, will keep it from scratching your RV.

I might even drive up on that sidewalk a bit, to give the truck as much room as possible to swing out into the road.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Have you considered backing in until trailer is nearly straight to the site or as best as you can for your site but truck may be somewhat nearing a jackknife 90 degree angle.
Unhitch and reposition truck and rehitch so that you can back the trailer on in.

esscobra

as above back in from pole side - you can run up into parking area then turn it in ad straighten out - I have a shortbed and a 3760- so 41' ad gotten ito some spots I didn't think it would fit- looking at the pics I think it can be done without damage- or easy way remove tree- fill with dirt- problem solved

donr827

There are some good videos on YouTube on how to back a trailer. The owner of the campground might know someone who has the necessary experience. Practice before you get there and charge for the entertainment for people watching.
Don

LBR

Sounds like if you had a slider hitch, you could then make better use of that short wheelbase/bed and jack knife it in with spotters helping you.

NYSUPstater

Place some boards down on opposite side of your site if there is a curb to act as ramp to jump the curb. Doubt you'll have any issue w/ bed clearance, but ALWAYS use "D" on trans. Like OP's said, go slow and easy. Only 1x did I have to ask another RVer to move their car, well cuz actually their was absolutely NO WAY I was going to get backed into our site. Road only 1.5 car widths wide. Once car was moved, whoalla.....in! You can do it w/o a slider hitch. Just take your time and use "D" when needed.

Another way to look at this. On my sister's farm, I was a brake grabber when backing the tractor up in order to get front end to "straighten up". As a young lad, figured that's what they are for. Went off to a Ag & Tech College and 1 course I took was something to do w/ tractors. Anyways, when I went to back up, I grabbed the brake pedals. Assistant Prof came over and swatted my foot off the brake pedal and went onto telling me why etc. 1st I was annoyed, but thought about what he said/suggested. Found out later, he was right. Never get yourself into such a predicament that requires you have to grab the brakes as I did. Simply reposition yourself. That was 30+ years ago and still works today. Had a slider hitch in my '03 SD that got used 2x in several years of ownership. Replaced it w/a non slider, 4-way swivel head and ONLY 1x did I come close to RV/cab window (diff coach/non cut/radius corners), which was my own fault. New truck, same hitch, no probs. Replaced that hitch w/ another beefier 4-way swivel head non slider along w/ a longer coach. Only tight spot was 1 I mentioned where had to have car moved and that was last year.

But always, always try to never get your self in such a bad predicament. If you do, just straighten up, take a deep breath, re-evaluate things and do again. As my ex B-I-L would always say "POC....Piece of Cake".

SNOKING

That is the problem with many Mesa parks. They are old and have narrow sites. We had a site for a week three years ago in Val Vista that our old 30' 5th wheel was hard to get in. And then I had to be carefully opening my truck door without it hitting the MH next door.

We have 40W X 50D sites here at Canyon Vistas in Gold Canyon. And we built our Park Model on a 50X50' lot, which there are only a handful of such lots.

You might want to drive out and take a look at it for next winter. Regulars have until Feb 15th to reserve their site for the following year, and then it opens to others.

Back to your problem. One of those powered 5th wheel dollies would work, if you could find someone with one. Or if you are near one of the many RV dealers, maybe you could talk them into running their forklift over. Have you questioned the park management about this? Or asked to be put on a cancellation list for a better lot? And yes back in for the lamppost side, as that is the drives side that you can see. If you have hands free cell phone in the truck, get a spotter with a phone to call the truck.

What park is this?

Chris

Last edited:

chasdvorak

Thanks for all the great advice and keep it coming please. We picked the site because of its’ location and it has a nice cement pad (stone under the coach).

Here is what I know to date:

-The Park is Mesa Regal
-World RV (next to the Park) used to provide fork lift parking and they did a great job last year but they stopped offering that service.
-Put in a request for a new site with Park management and I’m on a waiting list but slim chances.
-Sent emails to 5 area RV dealers with only one no-go response.
-I can back in from either side and/or drop the coach to reposition the truck
-The trees are on both sides of the street but people are great here and I should be able to get cars moved
-Park management doesn’t have 5th wheel mover or fork lift rig
-I’m open to another park if I can’t get in and I’m familiar with some of the ones mentioned - great places
-I wish I had the configuration when the Google pix below was taken cause then I’d have a drive thru.

In the picture below, the red arrow marks my site. The blue arrow marks what looks like a 40’ unit. I’m guessing that because it is at the back limit and near the tree in front. The street traffic shouldn’t be a problem but the trees are on both sides. The long shadow is from the street light. It looks wide in the satellite pix but I’m sure it will shrink when I try to back iit in.

Thanks for the suggestion,

40BCB0DC-98CB-48E7-B1C0-44C645F4AE76.jpg

PS - Where’s Kevin W when you need him??? Heck, Nelly could probably back it in muffins and all!!!

SNOKING

Our first year was 2008-2009 winter. We had a friend go look at Mesa Regal and Canyon Vistas for us. He reply a few days later that we would be much happier in Canyon Vistas as Mesa Regal was mostly park models, older, and with smaller sites.

The rest is history, we have been coming to Canyon Vistas for 10 years now.

With patience you should be able to get it into that site. Problem is 5th wheels will back into site that they can not pull out of, as the trailer falls into the corner.

Chris

NYSUPstater

Tho I don't drink, you may think I do after I suggest this one.

How about contacting the local Highway Dep't and ask them if they could back it in w/ their payloader? Not saying they will because of a liability issue if something happens, but if you tell them /put in writing you won't come after them if they damage your rig, then they just might back it in for you. Sweeten the pot as well and make them a bbq lunch/dinner. Or at the very least, have them swing by and offer suggestions as well. Can't hurt.