Good observation/backup camera than the Furrion to get a 5"+ screen

I'm new to the forum and about to pick up our new RW413 and I'm looking to get a wireless observation/backup camera that comes with a 5"+ screen which Furrion doesn't have. Anyone have luck with other brands?

jimtoo

Hi Mcrookedrw5er,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Be sure and join our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.
Jim M

ww8q

My DW got me a 9901 Digital-F for Christmas. It has a 7 inch LCD screen. I have to wait for warmer weather before I can try it out.

jbeletti

Mcrookedrw5er - welcome to the forum! I also want to reiterate Jimtoo's comment about the club. If you plan to travel with your RV and think an RV rally with other Heartlanders sounds like fun, consider joining the club. It's fast and free to join (link)!

dave10a

I'm new to the forum and about to pick up our new RW413 and I'm looking to get a wireless observation/backup camera that comes with a 5"+ screen which Furrion doesn't have. Anyone have luck with other brands?

I'm using the Voyager which is more expensive, but not necessary better as far has broad cast range is concerned. I chose it because it uses Digital type modulation and allows it to configure several wire and non wired camera's. I believe Digital type cameras adhere to the same FCC regulations and therefore would function the same. So it depends on the feature you want or don't want. Some manufacturers claim different range for reception. However, some are more realistic in their claim than others while they all follow the same FCC rules. If one mfg claims 100 ft reception and another claims 60ft the difference is that one claim is without obstruction like walls and the other is not. I think they call it marketing jargon.

Mcrookedrw5er - welcome to the forum! I also want to reiterate Jimtoo's comment about the club. If you plan to travel with your RV and think an RV rally with other Heartlanders sounds like fun, consider joining the club. It's fast and free to join (link)!

Jim, Thanks for the welcome and I have already joined the club. My family does like to travel so the rallies sound fun. We try to go at least every other month and hope to have a Canadian trip this year too.
Mike

Yes, one of my top picks is the Voyager and I research as much as possible but it helps with comments from real people that have used the product because of padding the ratings. I'm also looking at the 4UCam. The base for my picks is 5+" screen and uninterrupted viewing while driving. I have a 24' TT now and going to a 44'5er will be a little different.

Lou_and_Bette

I have a Voyager wireless camera on the back of our BH so I can watch the Harley riding on the trailer I tow. Good reception without extended range antenna so I do have some short dropout periods but they are brief. I went with this setup on recommendation of Jim B and have never regretted it. Only change I would make to my system is I would get the 5” screen instead of the 7” one because my dash would be a little less cluttered.

jbeletti

I have a Voyager wireless camera on the back of our BH so I can watch the Harley riding on the trailer I tow. Good reception without extended range antenna so I do have some short dropout periods but they are brief. I went with this setup on recommendation of Jim B and have never regretted it. Only change I would make to my system is I would get the 5” screen instead of the 7” one because my dash would be a little less cluttered.

I've used several different wireless systems over the years and I had the most success with the Voyager system. That said, I have not used the Furrion system and hear good things about the higher powered model. I haven't used the Furrion because they don't offer a standalone receiver for the cab of the truck, only a monitor with the receiver built-in, like most mfrs offer. I like to use as few of additional screens in the cab as possible and on the last truck, used the Voyager standalone receiver in the cab, connected to a rearview mirror that had a monitor built into it. Worked great.

I've used several different wireless systems over the years and I had the most success with the Voyager system. That said, I have not used the Furrion system and hear good things about the higher powered model. I haven't used the Furrion because they don't offer a standalone receiver for the cab of the truck, only a monitor with the receiver built-in, like most mfrs offer. I like to use as few of additional screens in the cab as possible and on the last truck, used the Voyager standalone receiver in the cab, connected to a rearview mirror that had a monitor built into it. Worked great.

Thanks for for the info. I ordered the Voyager because of the 5” screen and the reviews. I’ll have to
figure out a way to mount it since the trailer is set up for the Furrion but I’m handy that way. ;)

jbeletti

Thanks for for the info. I ordered the Voyager because of the 5” screen and the reviews. I’ll have to figure out a way to mount it since the trailer is set up for the Furrion but I’m handy that way. ;)

Remove the 4 teeny-tiny screws that hold the black cover onto the Furrion camera prewire housing. Mount your Voyager camera to the cover. Route wiring into the housing through the cover and replace cover. Attach camera to bracket.

Some pics of what Kevin W and I did with my Voyager - link

Remove the 4 teeny-tiny screws that hold the black cover onto the Furrion camera prewire housing. Mount your Voyager camera to the cover. Route wiring into the housing through the cover and replace cover. Attach camera to bracket.

Some pics of what Kevin W and I did with my Voyager - link

That looks great! The only thing I see with mine is they prewired the mounting over the rear lights
so I’m worried about the glare.

Lou_and_Bette

Mine is mounted over my lights and I have never had a problem with glare even though I always have my running lights on. That being said, I haven’t ever run at night.