16" tires on aluminum rims on BH3400RE- ideas on replacement tires??

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
we have the mission tires and have the 16" tires and aluminum rims. gone 7,000 with no problems but are thinking of changing all of them because of all the mishigaush going around. any ideas for my 3400RE? got the pressure pros but wont install untill the new tires with steel stems. they are the 80lb psi. not sure what letter is associated but probably G. I am guessing. Waiting for the warranty work to be done to check them out. Any ideas for great replacement tires? Rather not take the chance even tho we made it 5000 miles in hot weather this summer for 32 days with no problems.

jnbhobe

I would look at the tire capasity, some are 3042lbs and some like firestone and dayton are 3415lbs A lot of people use michlin xps, I think their 3415 also on 265-75-R16 if your wheels will handle it,:) Jon:)

geeksrus

I replaced the ones that came with the unit with Michelin XPS LT235/85 R16 E rated at 3042 carry weight.

If I had 7,000lb axles, I would have gone with G rated Like the Goodyears. if you are going with G's, make sure the wheels can handle the air pressure.

EH!

Larryheadhunter

thanks u all, but i think i made a few mistakes here. We have dual 6,000 lb axles, and i believe they are E rated as the full capacity of each tire is 80lbs psi. I won't know till I get the rig back from warranty work. I have no clue what the carry weight is.

markandrenita

We have a 3400rl 2008 and just replaced our tires chinese e rated tires, on aluminum rims, with michlein xps ribs LT 235/85/ R16 e rated. 3042 pounds at 80 psi, same as the chinese tires. We finally have peace of mind driving down the road!

THe space between the tires is a little smaller and our bal chocks don't work aymore so we are going to order some rotochocks.

Larryheadhunter

ok i am sold on the michelin xps ribs LT 235/85/R16's, so where in socal can i buy them at a decent price? Interesting that i ordered the rotochocks based on the chinese mission tires with 2 3/8". Will they still work with these tires?

geeksrus

ok i am sold on the michelin xps ribs LT 235/85/R16's, so where in socal can i buy them at a decent price? Interesting that i ordered the rotochocks based on the chinese mission tires with 2 3/8". Will they still work with these tires?

When I did the change to the Michelin's my RotoChoks were too big. I contacted the RotoChok folks & order smaller wedges. This way I didn't have to pay for the whole thing. Took about 5 minutes to swap the wedges.

I would guess that you'll have to do the same thing.

EH!

Delaine and Lindy

We have 8,000 axles and are running the Goodyear G614's (110 lbs air) and have ran the G614's on the last 3 5th wheels and haven't and a problem. We did have a problem with the Tredit Aluminum wheels, Keystone took care of the cost. I went with Alcoa's Aluminum wheels they were a awesome upgrade. Ordered them from Southwest Wheel in Dallas Texas. I highly recomend Southwest wheel very good to deal with. I ran one set of G614's over 22,000 miles and they still had plenty of tread. I always make sure the pressure is 110 lbs and run the Pressure Pro system it will save you a lot of money. Good Luck with your choice. GBY...

azbound

I would check with Les Schwab. I got a quote from both Discount and Les Scwab here in Redding, Ca. and LS was a lot cheaper. Plus they had a Large truck & RV bay while Discount was going to do mine in the Parking lot. I also suggest you make sure they balance the tires. Discount told me it wasn't necessary on trailers, LS quotes mounted and balanced. Don't let anybody tell you trailers tires don't need to be balanced, try riding inside a vehicle that isn't balanced and you will see what the contents of your trailer will experience.

Good Luck and Good Hunting.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I would check with Les Schwab. I got a quote from both Discount and Les Scwab here in Redding, Ca. and LS was a lot cheaper. Plus they had a Large truck & RV bay while Discount was going to do mine in the Parking lot. I also suggest you make sure they balance the tires. Discount told me it wasn't necessary on trailers, LS quotes mounted and balanced. Don't let anybody tell you trailers tires don't need to be balanced, try riding inside a vehicle that isn't balanced and you will see what the contents of your trailer will experience.

Good Luck and Good Hunting.

I agree.. I always stipulate that the tires are to be balanced, and metal valve stems. Also I had my tires installed in TX. Don't think they have a LS there, and Discount Tire did change mine out in the parking lot. It doesn't bother me where they change the tires, just as long as they do a good job.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
When it comes to balancing, have them use the tape weights. They adhere to the inside of the rim instead of the ones that they fasten to the rim sides - they are out of view, so it leads to a nice looking installation.

Dougstdig

When talking about trailer tires, is there much difference between the LT (Light Truck) tires and ST (Special Trailer) tires? What's the difference?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Larry, your Bighorn Alloy wheels "should" be rated for G load rangs tires. Everyone that has them on the 14,000# GVRW trailers has found their wheels to be at the higher rating. This will allow you to choose either the Michelins "E" or the Goodyear G614's. I just put the Goodyears on this spring. Very pleased and I also got a good price at $225 ea. from a local Goodyear dealer. The wheel ratings are forged into one of the spokes on the backside of the wheel and can be seen withouot removing the wheel. Happy shopping!
As a side note, I was looking at a new 3670 this weekend (not to buy) and it had Freestars. They look exactly like G614's right down to where they say regroovable. I wonder! Is this a coincidence or could they be made by the same plant as the G614's that are being made in China? Interesting though.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
As a side note, I was looking at a new 3670 this weekend (not to buy) and it had Freestars. They look exactly like G614's right down to where they say regroovable. I wonder! Is this a coincidence or could they be made by the same plant as the G614's that are being made in China? Interesting though.

Ray, have I missed something? When did Goodyear start making G614s in China? Mine clearly state that they were made in the USA.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ray, have I missed something? When did Goodyear start making G614s in China? Mine clearly state that they were made in the USA.
Chuck, Mine are also made in USA. I've read a few posts here on our forum that have said some G614's were being made in China to USA Goodyear specs. I suppose I should do a search to find the post. I'll be back! OK I may have read post#7 in this thread //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=3229&highlight=goodyear+G614+china&page=4 that led me to think they were mad in China. I do remember reading something else saying they were mad in China but to USA specs but I may be wrong. You know those senior moments.

pslincs

Change the factory tires ASAP, we purchased our Cyclone 3950, got about 200 miles from the dealer, going 55-60 mind you, and blew a side wall on the junk "trailer" goodyears. Put the spare on and prayed we would not lose another. Ordered 6 new BF Goodrich Commercial tires. Next project this winter, 3 new axles, torsion ride and wider brakes, not the cheap 2" brakes. Save yourself problems, for $800, change your tires>>>>>

Dougstdig

OK. I had a chance to crawl under my rig to try and look at the wheel markings from the inside. There were no "E" or "G" rated codes that I could see. There was however a stamp that stated the wheel was good for 37++ lbs. This is the regular 7 spoke forged wheel. Is this an indicator that I have an E or G rated wheel?

jnbhobe

Dougstdig; The 37++ lbs on your wheel means it is maximum capacity is 3750 lbs witch means it will accept a G rated tire. Hope this helps, Jon:)