PDA

View Full Version : 16" tires on aluminum rims on BH3400RE- ideas on replacement tires??

Larryheadhunter
09-05-2008, 04:52 AM
we have the mission tires and have the 16" tires and aluminum rims. gone 7,000 with no problems but are thinking of changing all of them because of all the mishigaush going around. any ideas for my 3400RE? got the pressure pros but wont install untill the new tires with steel stems. they are the 80lb psi. not sure what letter is associated but probably G. I am guessing. Waiting for the warranty work to be done to check them out. Any ideas for great replacement tires? Rather not take the chance even tho we made it 5000 miles in hot weather this summer for 32 days with no problems.

jnbhobe
09-05-2008, 06:03 AM
I would look at the tire capasity, some are 3042lbs and some like firestone and dayton are 3415lbs A lot of people use michlin xps, I think their 3415 also on 265-75-R16 if your wheels will handle it,:) Jon:)

geeksrus
09-05-2008, 09:23 AM
I replaced the ones that came with the unit with Michelin XPS LT235/85 R16 E rated at 3042 carry weight.

If I had 7,000lb axles, I would have gone with G rated Like the Goodyears. if you are going with G's, make sure the wheels can handle the air pressure.

EH!

Larryheadhunter
09-05-2008, 06:33 PM
thanks u all, but i think i made a few mistakes here. We have dual 6,000 lb axles, and i believe they are E rated as the full capacity of each tire is 80lbs psi. I won't know till I get the rig back from warranty work. I have no clue what the carry weight is.

markandrenita
09-06-2008, 05:59 AM
We have a 3400rl 2008 and just replaced our tires chinese e rated tires, on aluminum rims, with michlein xps ribs LT 235/85/ R16 e rated. 3042 pounds at 80 psi, same as the chinese tires. We finally have peace of mind driving down the road!

THe space between the tires is a little smaller and our bal chocks don't work aymore so we are going to order some rotochocks.

Larryheadhunter
09-06-2008, 06:41 AM
ok i am sold on the michelin xps ribs LT 235/85/R16's, so where in socal can i buy them at a decent price? Interesting that i ordered the rotochocks based on the chinese mission tires with 2 3/8". Will they still work with these tires?

geeksrus
09-06-2008, 08:17 AM
ok i am sold on the michelin xps ribs LT 235/85/R16's, so where in socal can i buy them at a decent price? Interesting that i ordered the rotochocks based on the chinese mission tires with 2 3/8". Will they still work with these tires?

When I did the change to the Michelin's my RotoChoks were too big. I contacted the RotoChok folks & order smaller wedges. This way I didn't have to pay for the whole thing. Took about 5 minutes to swap the wedges.

I would guess that you'll have to do the same thing.

EH!

TXBobcat
09-06-2008, 08:46 AM
I buy all my tires through Discount Tire. Best place I ever found.

Find a store near you location here.
http://storelocations.discounttire.com/CA-stores.html

Delaine and Lindy
09-06-2008, 08:57 AM
We have 8,000 axles and are running the Goodyear G614's (110 lbs air) and have ran the G614's on the last 3 5th wheels and haven't and a problem. We did have a problem with the Tredit Aluminum wheels, Keystone took care of the cost. I went with Alcoa's Aluminum wheels they were a awesome upgrade. Ordered them from Southwest Wheel in Dallas Texas. I highly recomend Southwest wheel very good to deal with. I ran one set of G614's over 22,000 miles and they still had plenty of tread. I always make sure the pressure is 110 lbs and run the Pressure Pro system it will save you a lot of money. Good Luck with your choice. GBY...

azbound
09-06-2008, 06:15 PM
I would check with Les Schwab. I got a quote from both Discount and Les Scwab here in Redding, Ca. and LS was a lot cheaper. Plus they had a Large truck & RV bay while Discount was going to do mine in the Parking lot. I also suggest you make sure they balance the tires. Discount told me it wasn't necessary on trailers, LS quotes mounted and balanced. Don't let anybody tell you trailers tires don't need to be balanced, try riding inside a vehicle that isn't balanced and you will see what the contents of your trailer will experience.

Good Luck and Good Hunting.

TXBobcat
09-06-2008, 07:34 PM
I would check with Les Schwab. I got a quote from both Discount and Les Scwab here in Redding, Ca. and LS was a lot cheaper. Plus they had a Large truck & RV bay while Discount was going to do mine in the Parking lot. I also suggest you make sure they balance the tires. Discount told me it wasn't necessary on trailers, LS quotes mounted and balanced. Don't let anybody tell you trailers tires don't need to be balanced, try riding inside a vehicle that isn't balanced and you will see what the contents of your trailer will experience.

Good Luck and Good Hunting.

I agree.. I always stipulate that the tires are to be balanced, and metal valve stems. Also I had my tires installed in TX. Don't think they have a LS there, and Discount Tire did change mine out in the parking lot. It doesn't bother me where they change the tires, just as long as they do a good job.

cdbMidland
09-06-2008, 08:07 PM
When it comes to balancing, have them use the tape weights. They adhere to the inside of the rim instead of the ones that they fasten to the rim sides - they are out of view, so it leads to a nice looking installation.

Dougstdig
09-06-2008, 09:26 PM
When talking about trailer tires, is there much difference between the LT (Light Truck) tires and ST (Special Trailer) tires? What's the difference?

Forrest Fetherolf
09-06-2008, 10:33 PM
When talking about trailer tires, is there much difference between the LT (Light Truck) tires and ST (Special Trailer) tires? What's the difference?

Doug,

ST tires have stiffer sidewalls to reduce sway, less susceptible to bruising and as with Goodyear G614 ST, the outer ribs are smooth.

http://www.countryclassicsmarine.com/tips.htm

Forrest

Ray LeTourneau
09-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Larry, your Bighorn Alloy wheels "should" be rated for G load rangs tires. Everyone that has them on the 14,000# GVRW trailers has found their wheels to be at the higher rating. This will allow you to choose either the Michelins "E" or the Goodyear G614's. I just put the Goodyears on this spring. Very pleased and I also got a good price at $225 ea. from a local Goodyear dealer. The wheel ratings are forged into one of the spokes on the backside of the wheel and can be seen withouot removing the wheel. Happy shopping!
As a side note, I was looking at a new 3670 this weekend (not to buy) and it had Freestars. They look exactly like G614's right down to where they say regroovable. I wonder! Is this a coincidence or could they be made by the same plant as the G614's that are being made in China? Interesting though.

cdbMidland
09-09-2008, 04:55 PM
As a side note, I was looking at a new 3670 this weekend (not to buy) and it had Freestars. They look exactly like G614's right down to where they say regroovable. I wonder! Is this a coincidence or could they be made by the same plant as the G614's that are being made in China? Interesting though.

Ray, have I missed something? When did Goodyear start making G614s in China? Mine clearly state that they were made in the USA.

Ray LeTourneau
09-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Ray, have I missed something? When did Goodyear start making G614s in China? Mine clearly state that they were made in the USA.
Chuck, Mine are also made in USA. I've read a few posts here on our forum that have said some G614's were being made in China to USA Goodyear specs. I suppose I should do a search to find the post. I'll be back! OK I may have read post#7 in this thread //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=3229&highlight=goodyear+G614+china&page=4 that led me to think they were mad in China. I do remember reading something else saying they were mad in China but to USA specs but I may be wrong. You know those senior moments.

pslincs
09-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Change the factory tires ASAP, we purchased our Cyclone 3950, got about 200 miles from the dealer, going 55-60 mind you, and blew a side wall on the junk "trailer" goodyears. Put the spare on and prayed we would not lose another. Ordered 6 new BF Goodrich Commercial tires. Next project this winter, 3 new axles, torsion ride and wider brakes, not the cheap 2" brakes. Save yourself problems, for $800, change your tires>>>>>

Dougstdig
09-25-2008, 05:06 AM
OK. I had a chance to crawl under my rig to try and look at the wheel markings from the inside. There were no "E" or "G" rated codes that I could see. There was however a stamp that stated the wheel was good for 37++ lbs. This is the regular 7 spoke forged wheel. Is this an indicator that I have an E or G rated wheel?

jnbhobe
09-25-2008, 05:46 AM
Dougstdig; The 37++ lbs on your wheel means it is maximum capacity is 3750 lbs witch means it will accept a G rated tire. Hope this helps, Jon:)

RVFun4Us
09-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Interesting information on this thread. I too am looking for replacement tires to replace the Unicorns on my 3055. Also posted in the Big Horn Tire thread. Some of these comments bring up the following questions in comparing the Goodyear G614s with the Michelin XPS (two most common recommended tires):

Are they ST tires or LT tires? As mentioned previously, the ST tires are made for trailer applications but the LT tires are not (flexibility), as far as I understand.

When determining whether made in USA or China, does it specifically indicate the country or do you have to decypher the DOT code?

Understand about the load ranges. My 3055 have the 3750 lb wheels so I could go to G tires but am concerned with wheel well, shocks and individual tire clearance if I go with the 85 series versus the 80 series tires. Do they make both the G614s and XPS tires in the 80 series?

Forrest Fetherolf
09-25-2008, 12:36 PM
LT's have stiffer sidewalls and sometimes no tread pattern on outer ribs,

Dot code..................first set of numbers/letters indicate manufacturer/ location, last 4 numbers indicate week and year made.

Forrest

http://www.tiredefects.com/news.cfm?Key=DOT-tire-code-number-markings+&News=2089
http://www.harriger.com/tires.htm

ct0218
09-25-2008, 09:28 PM
The 80 seems to be a Chinese sizing, Michelin and Goodyear are 85. Very little actual difference in size. Also, Mich are load range E, and the Goodyears are only LR G

RVFun4Us
09-25-2008, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the explanation on the difference between 80s and 85s. That might also be one way to determine whether they are Chinese or American made tires short of decyphering the tire code. And I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that the Goodyears have a higher load capacity being "G" rated while the Michelins are maxxed at around 3042 lbs. Does that sound right?

TXBobcat
09-25-2008, 10:44 PM
Dougstdig; The 37++ lbs on your wheel means it is maximum capacity is 3750 lbs witch means it will accept a G rated tire. Hope this helps, Jon

This is an intresting post. May I ask how your determing that the 37++ lbs indicate the capacity of the rim. I looked around to see if there was something available online but could not find anything..

Would you list your source.. I like to keep track of this type of information for future use..

jnbhobe
09-26-2008, 05:39 AM
TXBOBCAT; I guess you would say I took it for granit. I have 3 wheels marked 3750lbs 1 marked 37++ all with good year g-rated tires from the factory.I will have to pull the wheels off when it goes in storage, and I will double check then. Jon;)

Dougstdig
09-26-2008, 05:50 AM
TXBOBCAT; I guess you would say I took it for granit. I have 3 wheels marked 3750lbs 1 marked 37++ all with good year g-rated tires from the factory.I will have to pull the wheels off when it goes in storage, and I will double check then. Jon;)

I placed the ++ because I couldn't remember if it was 25 or 50. They are 3750's. Sorry for the confusion.

RVFun4Us
09-26-2008, 06:39 PM
Well, we went with the Michelin XPS Ribs today. Cost about $249.00 per tire with balancing and steel stems on top of that. Even bought a used Michelin for the spare cause I wanted all the Unicorns and Mission tires off the rig. With our 3055, the max weight of 3042 lbs on the Michelins should be fine. Weighed each side of the 5er and weighed in at 5300 lbs on one side and 5250 on the other. So we will be fine. Didn't know the Goodyear G614s were 14 ply until today. They were quoted as over $1200.00.

Thanks Ziggy for the information on Basin Tire, that is where we purchased them. Les Schwab did not have (specialize in Toyo).

Now will feel comfortable when out on the road.

Northerner
05-18-2011, 08:55 AM
I replaced the ones that came with the unit with Michelin XPS LT235/85 R16 E rated at 3042 carry weight.

If I had 7,000lb axles, I would have gone with G rated Like the Goodyears. if you are going with G's, make sure the wheels can handle the air pressure.

EH!
Do you know what they torqued the rims to?

cookie
05-18-2011, 09:21 AM
On my 2008 BH 3400RL, I torqued the wheels to 120 Ft Lbs.

Peace
Dave

dbbls59
10-02-2012, 09:52 PM
And I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that the Goodyears have a higher load capacity being "G" rated while the Michelins are maxxed at around 3042 lbs. Does that sound right?I believe that is correct. That is why I am leary of installing LT tires because I have at least one wheel that is carrying more weight than that.

nesport
07-13-2013, 05:29 PM
so lots of reading around power kings after a recent blow out. I checked my rims and they say max load 8/3750 lbs 110psi and 6/3200 lbs 100psi. So here are my two questions:1) what is the number in front of the lbs and 2) everyone says to switch to LT tires, however the manual specifically has a black box call out in it that states "do not replace ST tires with LT tires despite their ratings". What's the pros and cons here? And why is Heartland saying that? i'm thinking of Carlisle tires if I can't go to the LTs.

scottyb
07-14-2013, 08:39 AM
The 8 and 6 represent the number of lug nuts. You will have to decide for yourself, but there are many here that have switched to LT's, feeling that the ST's are inferior tires.

dbbls59
07-14-2013, 11:51 AM
At the rally in Goshen it was said that Goodyear G-614's are made in China in a plant owned by Goodyear. There is not a trailer tire made in the USA. Being made in China is not an indication of bad quality any more than being made in USA is an indication of good quality. It all depends in the specifications followed during construction. Sailun s-637's is anther tire made with the same specs as the G-614. It is an LT tire which also states on the sidewall that it is for trailer use only. It is rated for 75 MPH and is much less expensive than the Goodyear's. Good year is charging for the insurance to cover your trailer if there is damage caused by a tire failure.

danemayer
07-14-2013, 02:42 PM
At the rally in Goshen it was said that Goodyear G-614's are made in China in a plant owned by Goodyear. There is not a trailer tire made in the USA. Being made in China is not an indication of bad quality any more than being made in USA is an indication of good quality. It all depends in the specifications followed during construction. Sailun s-637's is anther tire made with the same specs as the G-614. It is an LT tire which also states on the sidewall that it is for trailer use only. It is rated for 75 MPH and is much less expensive than the Goodyear's. Good year is charging for the insurance to cover your trailer if there is damage caused by a tire failure.
I think the Goodyear G614 is one of the few tires still made in the U.S. I've been told that the reason it weighs so much (and is expensive) is that is has steel belts not just under the tread, but running from bead to bead. I believe the Sailun has the same load characteristics, but I don't know if the internal construction is similar.

cookie
07-14-2013, 03:07 PM
I recently purchased the G-614's. Molded in the sidewall is 'Made in U.S.A.'.
A prior conversation with Goodyear I was told that "if" there was a problem with production here then they could be made in another country. And it could be a country other than China.
I believe that the information you received is in error.

Peace
Dave

nesport
07-14-2013, 10:25 PM
great info. Does anyone know why the Heartland manuals state not to go to LT's? Is there a disadvantage to them?

danemayer
07-14-2013, 11:01 PM
great info. Does anyone know why the Heartland manuals state not to go to LT's? Is there a disadvantage to them?
ST tires are designed for trailer applications. LT tires are designed for light truck applications.

Some LT tires like the Goodyear G614 are designed to do well in either application and are specified by their manufacturer for either truck or trailer use. Other LT tires may be designed for truck use only, and may not be well matched to trailer applications. They will be spec'd by their manufacturers for truck use.

If Heartland didn't mention it, you might go shopping and get a tire not designed for trailer use.

mobilcastle
07-15-2013, 04:11 AM
All I can say is Goodyear is making a boatload of money on these G's if they are made in China and that why I think there ahve been so many blowouts I have read about on RV.net-I also think making repairs to RV's is cheaper than ******. I run Sailons and I have yet to read about a blowout anywhere. Ther cost is way lower than Goodyear.http://simpletire.com/sailun-235-85r16-8244393-tires

Theresau
07-15-2013, 11:14 AM
Ours are RST not LT. Goodyear G614s and made in the USA. These are designed with the tread being flat and not very deep. This allows tire to skid sideways in tight turns. Tires are regrooveable.

Joe

ST tires are designed for trailer applications. LT tires are designed for light truck applications.

Some LT tires like the Goodyear G614 are designed to do well in either application and are specified by their manufacturer for either truck or trailer use. Other LT tires may be designed for truck use only, and may not be well matched to trailer applications. They will be spec'd by their manufacturers for truck use.

If Heartland didn't mention it, you might go shopping and get a tire not designed for trailer use.

cookie
07-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Ours are RST not LT. Goodyear G614s and made in the USA..

Joe
Hmm, my tires say LT235/85R16.
The Goodyear web site shows them as commercial truck tires. However it also heads them as RST.
So, will we ever know exactly what they are?

The following was taken from the GY web site. I talks about the suffix LT. No mention of the prefix.
LT — Light Truck tires for service on Trucks, Busses, Trailers and Multi-Purpose Passenger Vehicles used in normal highway service. This suffix is intended to differentiate among tires for Passenger Car, Truck/Bus and other vehicles or other services which use
a similar designation.

Peace
Dave

danemayer
07-15-2013, 11:50 AM
Ours are RST not LT. Goodyear G614s and made in the USA.

Joe

Joe,

I thought the same thing. Read a column by a tire expert who said they were LT. I questioned him and he explained that in the Goodyear application sheets, they use RST to designate Regional something or other. The g614 is certified as LT but is a crossover they designate for demanding trailer applications. Note that the sidewall stamp says LT235/85R16.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD