Winter rving

Dan54

Recently purchased a 2011 Landmark & are preparing to leave our NE Ohio home for southern Utah Feb 26. Worried about encountering freezing temps & the effects when traveling. Looking at the specs from a guide I printed at rvguide.com it lists freeze proof insulation as a standard feature. I'm thinking I'll need to run the furnace while towing if the temps get too cold. Would appreciate any input you experienced rvers can offer. Thanks.

danemayer

Hi Dan54,

First thing I'd suggest is reading our owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide. I'm not sure what the February temperatures are in southern Utah, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are some sub-freezing nights.

Before traveling, you definitely need to evacuate the water from your refrigerator water feed line, all the way up through the refrigerator and leave it cut off.

As for water lines, water pump, tanks, fixtures, what many people do while traveling in winter conditions is to leave the trailer winterized and carry some bottled water to use the toilet and wash hands. If you prefer full use of the trailer while en route, as long as you have tank heating pads, and plan to plug into shore power each evening, you'll probably be ok if you use the furnace overnight so the coach is around 72 (F) when you start towing. Before considering running the furnace with slides pulled in, check the location of each floor register to make sure they're not blocked.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
It’s all going to depend on the temperature in NE Ohio when you leave and the temperatures along your route that should determine your onboard water. I’d personally refrain from running the furnace while traveling but I’ve heard it’s done. What route are you taking west? If you traveling I80 that time of year likely you’ll see below freezing temps days and nights. If you’re dropping down to the I40 corridor or further south that risk diminishes.
Case in point about not needing to run furnace while traveling...we left central PA on the afternoon of 1/1. The high that day barely made 20* so the BH stayed winterized. Overnight the temperature dropped to 9* but indoor we were at 65-66. We traveled all day Tuesday in sub freezing temps. It was only up to 30* when we stopped late in the day. The inside temp of the BH was still above freezing after our all day’s travel. I’d have dewinterized had the park had water but TN was experiencing freezing weather so no water was available. Our 3rd night was in central MS. Daytime highs upper 30s, lows mid 20s. There I was able to dewinterize and added water to the FW tank. Since then we’ve experienced several other nights below freezing (most recently last Tuesday south of Houston TX) without issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Recently purchased a 2011 Landmark & are preparing to leave our NE Ohio home for southern Utah Feb 26. Worried about encountering freezing temps & the effects when traveling. Looking at the specs from a guide I printed at rvguide.com it lists freeze proof insulation as a standard feature. I'm thinking I'll need to run the furnace while towing if the temps get too cold. Would appreciate any input you experienced rvers can offer. Thanks.

I would not trust anything about the features of your rig unless reported to you from Heartland. Whatever this rv guide says may not be accurate. I've never heard of "freeze proof" anything on an rv, they are made for recreational use, not built like a sticks and bricks home, so special care must be taken to insure against freeze damage. Other posts have given you lots of great info.

The one thing that needs to be clarified, inside the coach can often stay above freezing while not heated, but your water pipes located in the underbelly will be much colder because that space doesn't get as warm, even with the furnace running. Maybe only 5-10 degrees above the outside temp.

travelin2

Ericka is correct. Until you personally experience a specific adventure and know the outcome, all else is just conjecture
To add to my previous comment, the basement was above freezing in the morning and just slightly below freezing when we stopped on Tuesday. That said, who knows what state any water onboard may have been

Gaffer

Just leave it winterized until you get to above freezing weather. The first two weeks of February will have highs in the low 70s at St George. Carry gallons of water for the toilet.

Dan54

It’s all going to depend on the temperature in NE Ohio when you leave and the temperatures along your route that should determine your onboard water. I’d personally refrain from running the furnace while traveling but I’ve heard it’s done. What route are you taking west? If you traveling I80 that time of year likely you’ll see below freezing temps days and nights. If you’re dropping down to the I40 corridor or further south that risk diminishes.
Case in point about not needing to run furnace while traveling...we left central PA on the afternoon of 1/1. The high that day barely made 20* so the BH stayed winterized. Overnight the temperature dropped to 9* but indoor we were at 65-66. We traveled all day Tuesday in sub freezing temps. It was only up to 30* when we stopped late in the day. The inside temp of the BH was still above freezing after our all day’s travel. I’d have dewinterized had the park had water but TN was experiencing freezing weather so no water was available. Our 3rd night was in central MS. Daytime highs upper 30s, lows mid 20s. There I was able to dewinterize and added water to the FW tank. Since then we’ve experienced several other nights below freezing (most recently last Tuesday south of Houston TX) without issues.

We're taking 1-70 West so we're a bit south of I-80. Sounds like I should leave it winterized as long as possible. Supposed to be colder than normal in NE Ohio in Feb, we'll see what it will be like around 2/26. I'll put antifreeze in my black water tank to keep it from freezing when we use water to flush

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

travelin2

We're taking 1-70 West so we're a bit south of I-80. Sounds like I should leave it winterized as long as possible. Supposed to be colder than normal in NE Ohio in Feb, we'll see what it will be like around 2/26. I'll put antifreeze in my black water tank to keep it from freezing when we use water to flush

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Who knows what’ll be like by then. I70 definitely a safer bet. Unless temps are drastically below average once you’re westbound I’d bet your good to have some water on board. We took that route several years ago in late March and had no problems finding parks open year round although a couple of nights the park(s) turned off their water due to below freezing temps