ATF: Edge - Cable tv

Edsbow

When our edge357ed is on antenna the tv's have clear pictures.
When on cable all tv's are fussy and most channels you can't see.
We have checked connections and multiple campgrounds all do the same.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There is a signal booster somewhere in your coach. It is usually located near a bedroom TV. It will have a red LED and a tiny red button. The LED must be off for cable signals and must be on for over air TV signal.
Is your booster LED off when you are looking for cable channels?

Peace
Dave

Edsbow

There is a signal booster somewhere in your coach. It is usually located near a bedroom TV. It will have a red LED and a tiny red button. The LED must be off for cable signals and must be on for over air TV signal.
Is your booster LED off when you are looking for cable channels?

Peace
Dave

Yes the booster is off when on cable.
And I scan tv for cable

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I had this problem in my Prowler.

My dealer was too inept to figure out the problem and made it worse twice (ie.- two warranty visits, plus they destroyed one stereo unit and the cabinet - see photo below), so I then tore into it while camping (ie.- wasted a day of rest and relaxation) and figured it out!

Which involved emptying the basement and removing the wall to the underside . . .

First off, from the factory and straight out from the outside cable connection that was connected to the OUTPUT of the first coax splitter (signal only travels one way through a splitter) in the basement, the whole coax system was wired backwards.

Once I got that all figured out and connected correctly I now had cable to the TV, but a fuzzy picture.

I removed one of the TV's from the trailer and plugged it in directly to the cable connection at the power pedistal and got a perfect picture, which told me the issue was still inside of the trailer somewhere.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I removed the Furrion AM/FM/CD/DVD player from the cabinet and found one more splitter back there, and as it turned out, the antenna for the stereo unit was connected to that splitter with a diapole-to-coax adapter.

As a fluke, I needed to unplug this radio antenna from the splitter so that I could pull the stereo out so I could get my arms in that tiny hole to check the coax connections in there . . .

And when I unscrewed the coax connection from the stereo . . . I HAD A PERFECT CABLE PICTURE ON THE TV!

In other words, it was this connection that was grounding out the cable signal!

Check this out . . . it could be your issue as well!

ProwlerEntCenter-IMAG0231.jpg ProwlerEntCenterNewStereo-P5100150.jpg

Second shot is the new replacement stereo - notice in both shots they used wood grain tape to cover up the cabinet damage.

danemayer

The cable TV coax comes into the coach and is combined with the roof antenna signal at the signal booster. If the roof antenna signal is getting through, that suggests the problem may be at the outside connector or at the signal booster connection. When checking the outside connector, you'll typically have to remove the wall plate and disconnect the coax from the back of the wall plate to inspect for loose ground wires, a poor crimp, or other problems. Do the same inspection where the wires connect to the signal booster.

Before working on the signal booster, you may want to find the fuse in your main fusebox and pull it. It's pretty easy to short a connector against the 12V connector and blow that fuse if you don't first remove it.

The signal booster itself could have a problem.

And if you happen to have lights turned on in the room where the signal booster is located, try turning them off. There have been some cases where the lights produce electromagnetic interference that shows up on the unamplified cable signal.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
The cable TV coax comes into the coach and is combined with the roof antenna signal at the signal booster. If the roof antenna signal is getting through, that suggests the problem may be at the outside connector or at the signal booster connection. When checking the outside connector, you'll typically have to remove the wall plate and disconnect the coax from the back of the wall plate to inspect for loose ground wires, a poor crimp, or other problems. Do the same inspection where the wires connect to the signal booster.

Before working on the signal booster, you may want to find the fuse in your main fusebox and pull it. It's pretty easy to short a connector against the 12V connector and blow that fuse if you don't first remove it.

The signal booster itself could have a problem.

And if you happen to have lights turned on in the room where the signal booster is located, try turning them off. There have been some cases where the lights produce electromagnetic interference that shows up on the unamplified cable signal.

I remember you did that in the bedroom of my Prowler at the Central City HOC Rally and fixed the signal problem at that TV. :eek: