trailer tires for tv

herefishy

I've seen a lot of people saying the Sailun tires are great trailer tires, and of course, there are the venerable goodyear g series. Why do all the tv tire buyers go for Michelin, are these great trailer tires not good for trucks?

danemayer

I put 6 Sailun tires on our 2014 RAM a few months ago. It seemed to me that they are doing so well on trailers that I would give it a shot on the truck. It isn't the same tire however. Sailun Terramax A/T 4S 235/80R-17. About $124 each from Simpletire.com. I think Walmart mounted and balanced them for $20/tire.

They're quieter than the original tires and ride smoothly. As for wear, time will tell.

danemayer

But they're not ST tires, are they? If they're not, how are they different from truck tires?

The Sailin Teramax tires I bought are designed and certified for light trucks and have all terrain mud & snow design features.

Sailun makes trailer tires, some designated as ST and others certified as LT. The Sailun trailer tire that has the good rep is the S637. I didn't consider using an S637 in part because it's designed for freewheeling trailer use. It's not clear the the S637 is good as a steering tire, even when it carries an LT certification. I think the LT certification has more to do with load capacity than any other factor that might be important to you on a truck. Trailer tires typically aren't designed for mud & snow conditions.

mlpeloquin

The Sailin Teramax tires I bought are designed and certified for light trucks and have all terrain mud & snow design features.

Sailun makes trailer tires, some designated as ST and others certified as LT. The Sailun trailer tire that has the good rep is the S637. I didn't consider using an S637 in part because it's designed for freewheeling trailer use. It's not clear the the S637 is good as a steering tire, even when it carries an LT certification. I think the LT certification has more to do with load capacity than any other factor that might be important to you on a truck. Trailer tires typically aren't designed for mud & snow conditions.

The G614 Good Year tires are LT, but are for drive wheel and trailer tire only. They do not have enough side wall structure to be used as steering wheel tires. I suspect it is the same with the Sailun S637 trailer LT tires as well.

Grey Ghost

I've run Michelin LT tires on my 5ver since spending hours on the side of the interstate after blowing out two Towmax tires some years ago. I trust the Michelin tires and feel much safer with them on my rig. I've ran them for the last four or five years and just now getting ready to put new ones on. Also the man at Discount tire suggested I look at Bridgestone this time suggesting they are wearing better than the Michelin's. Have not decided yet weather to sick with Michelin for go with the Bridgestones.
Good luck!!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
New tires coming in a couple of weeks for the Prowler.

I have 15's now, but am thinking about upgrading the axles at the Mountain Regional HOC Rally in June, so trying to decide if I should go to 16's now, or wait until the axle upgrade.

By the by, I am going to have the wheel bearings done and the axles aligned at an axle shop here in Denver, and may just get the work done (axles replaced) here before I roll out!

I really want new tires before I hit the road for good in about a month.

jomimac

I've had my share of tire problems, pulling a 30' Greystone 5th wheel. A small-town tire store owner, who also owns a 5th wheel suggested 14 ply truck tires. I'm not ready to change tires right now, but I may accept his advise when I do.