2008 F350 6.4l

krehlert

Still kickin and screamin
We just purchased a new 2008 6.4L and looking for some suggestions in getting more horse power and fuel economy. Any suggestions???

Thanks..

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Trade it for an older Dodge or swap engines for a 5.9 Cummins with no EPA mandated emmissions stuffNone:D

Ain't much you can do without voiding the warranty. One of the biggest killers of fuel economy on the new diesels is that particulate filter when it goes into regen mode, egr valves hurt too. Get some miles on it and the fuel economy should come up a bit.

Diesels like to breath, intake & exhaust are great place to start.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Hey, That pmmjarrett is a funny guy! On the other hand you could buy a Duramax. No mods needed.:D I'm sure you'll hear some positive news from the Ford guys though. Like jarrett said. Get some miles on her and it will improve. Enjoy your new Ford.

krehlert

Hey Ray, a Duramax is what I would have prefered. Unfortunatly my wife works at a Ford dealership and I could not pass up the deal. Oh well, it gets me from point A to point B eventually...............:)

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Hey Ray, a Duramax is what I would have prefered. Unfortunatly my wife works at a Ford dealership and I could not pass up the deal. Oh well, it gets me from point A to point B eventually...............:)
If I were in your shoes, I'd have bought the Ford too. The new ones are really nice. Happy Camping:D

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
My son wants me to add all kinds of performance enhancing equipment (Bully Dog chip, etc) on our new F250 with the 6.4L, but I'm reluctant to do it because of potential warranty issues. I did put an AEF performance air intake on. It is supposedly OEM compliant, and only takes a few minutes to swap out if there is a problem and I need to put the original back in. Gain is about 18 HP and 25-30 ft/lbs torque. Also adds just a little extra rumble to the diesel sound.

He makes his own biodiesal and I would love to use that, but the 5% mix restriction worries me a little too much. He runs 100% bio in his '95 7.3L Powerstroke with no problems at all - and he's not paying $4.00+ per gallon!

NEVADAMIKE

THE BIONIC COUPLE
ford f-450 6.4

We have a 2008 6.4 power? stroke.

We are on our third radiator, 2nd EGR, third radio, took 25,000 miles to find someone who was able to reprogram transmission module so it would shift, downshift correctly.
Extensive damage done to precoolers during radiator replacement told it is bug damage by ford.

We have been stranded in Wisconsin, Florida, New Mexico.

Have the platinum plus extended warranty still nothing from ford. Been waiting for reimbursement for rental and other expenses since Mid May.

Took three weeks in Wisconsin, weeks at a time in Florida.

Days in New Mexico, and then only because I dropped the trailer behind a row new trucks.

ford dealers are independant (VERY INDEPENDANT) so good luck if you have trouble.
Mike Fogarty

krehlert

NevadaMike, I would have turned that thing back into Ford for a Lemon.

My wife works at our local Ford dealership and the only reason I bought one is because of the very little work they have done on these trucks since they came out. Here at our dealership anyway. Life is like a box of chocolates...................

egnors

If you want to run a tuner, get a DashDaq aka Phalanx system from Spartan Diesel. Much better than BullyDog or Banks. They can even give you tunes so you can remove the DPF and end regen as well. Look 'em up. It will void the warranty if you take it in hooked up with the stuff removed. www.thedieselgarage.com has a good tuner forum for the 6.4 Ford, there's more than one person who's running the DD with good results. How's a 250hp streetable tune sound?

Last edited:

sandman

I have 2008 250 ford ive tow my sundance aprox 10000 miles truck has 37000 on it and i ahve had not one thing go wrong. has more power than i can use pulles wonderful. fantasic truck.

phranc

What happens to your warranty if you use the tuner ?? Doesn't the truck computer have a memory ?? Lot's of horror stories , be careful ..

egnors

some shops don't mind tuners, and in fact sell them, while some shops will blacklist your truck for having an aftermarket intake. all depends on the service manager's outlook on tuners/modifications from stock.

sporlan

Wow, a lot of HELPFUL info. I have a 2008 F-350 that I use every day for work and play. I added an Edge juice performance chip. The added horsepower and torque are GREAT! I tow a 2009 Cyclone 3950 with NO problems. Bring it on, I love this truck!

Cirrus

Like others have said........be very careful about adding a tuner if you want to have any warranty work done. Once the diesel is fully broken in (which is usually around 10k but has taken as much as 25k on some trucks) your fuel mileage should go up a little.

rjr6150

We have a Job 1 2008 with slightly over 10,000 miles and after getting the last program update three weeks are averaging 15-16 solo and 10-11 towing at MPH. Not real crazy about the mileage but love the truck.

RVCamper

We have a Job 1 2008 with slightly over 10,000 miles and after getting the last program update three weeks are averaging 15-16 solo and 10-11 towing at MPH. Not real crazy about the mileage but love the truck.

If you have a Job 1 Truck there is a new front spoiler that is 4" longer that will give you ~ 1 mpg better MPG. It was implemented on Job 3 Super Duty

deee2

I was thinking. Wouldn't add any torque or horsepower, but would get better mileage if I got behind the wheel and had DH push the beast.

Donna :)

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
I was thinking. Wouldn't add any torque or horsepower, but would get better mileage if I got behind the wheel and had DH push the beast.

Donna :)

HAHAHAHAHA....... Oh Oh what did he buy and get in trouble for this time.None

wagenman

I know it was already said, but I would not chip or do anything aftermarket to your truck just yet...

Your truck has a DPF (diesel particulate filter) on it and everything I have read about these, they are nothing but a pain in the arse.. If you decide to tune it, your tuner can hurt this filter and plug it up if it does not burn 100% clean...

I have even talked to guys that have only changed their intake and exhaust thinking they would just get better fuel economy, but in the long run lost it, diesels run better when they are hot.. adding a large exhause can make your engine run cooler and you will loose fuel economy...

On the good side of adding a 4" exhaust you can lower your EGT's and that is important when towing. But again that filter will not let you change your exhaust from the turbo back only from the filter back and then your just adding noise, not much performance...

I know you will get 100 diferent sides of this and of course this is just mine... but you are going to have warrenty issues with your truck and do not need the problems of a dealership cause you changed parts on your truck.. the intake is about the only thing that will not trip a code or void a warranty...

If you must change something, I would use the Edge Evolution with the in cab display (very nice unit).. but all programers leave a trace on your computer.. and if a dealership wants to find it they will!!! (i found that out the hard way)lol