Roof damage help

paleclaire

Looking for recommendations for a repair facility in the Charleston, sc - Savannah, ga area. Tree bit my roof pretty good. Been at the dealer for almost a month with no appraial yet, and I am rapidly loosing faith in them. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

rxbristol

It would help if you can post a picture so you'll get correct advice and what materials can be used.

'Lil Guy'

Eternabond tape is the way to go. Find your right color. Depends on what has happened to your roof. If it's a tear, this will do the trick. Google it up on you tube. Really need to see a pic.

donr827

If the damage is bad enough to put a insurance claim in the insurance company will send a claim adjuster to the dealer to appraise the damage.
Don

paleclaire

Looking at roof replacement. Insurance company has pics, but after a month, still no proper estimate sent in.
c4608cd304bdd788f2d81c5edc829f39.jpg
b1b41b1a3d20d05c8340deadbe23df2c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

'Lil Guy'

Looks beyond Eternabond help. If warranty doesn't cover it, your insurance should. You should have an extended warranty written with the purchase of rig. Good luck. Lot's worse than I envisioned.

danemayer

Looks beyond Eternabond help. If warranty doesn't cover it, your insurance should. You should have an extended warranty written with the purchase of rig. Good luck. Lot's worse than I envisioned.

I don't think there's any warranty or extended warranty that covers tree damage.

It may be hard to find an insurance adjuster who knows enough about RV repair costs to create a meaningful estimate. You should contact your insurer and ask them to request an estimate from the repair shop.

wdk450

If you are in communication with your insurance adjuster, even if they won't cover it, the adjuster may have some recommendations about local quality RV repairers that he has worked with.

Piperflyer

If you are in communication with your insurance adjuster, even if they won't cover it, the adjuster may have some recommendations about local quality RV repairers that he has worked with.

I know if my insurance company didn't cover the roof damage, I would be looking for another company. This is the type of damage that could happen anytime while on the road.

paleclaire

So, the dealer finally seems to be on track. After telling me “gateway” is out of business I emailed heartland with pics and they sent me a list of parts they think I may need. Once I got these to the dealer they put an estimate together for the insurance company. About 7 grand. Word to the wise, don’t take the advice of the woman in the Edisto Beach state park booth when she says “take the first right” that route is a hazard to anything over 10 feet tall. Winding through oak trees I got committed, no backing out. Thought I could clear a branch, but with trees on the left couldn’t quite get clear on the right. Lesson learned the hard way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danemayer

So, the dealer finally seems to be on track. After telling me “gateway” is out of business I emailed heartland with pics and they sent me a list of parts they think I may need. Once I got these to the dealer they put an estimate together for the insurance company. About 7 grand. Word to the wise, don’t take the advice of the woman in the Edisto Beach state park booth when she says “take the first right” that route is a hazard to anything over 10 feet tall. Winding through oak trees I got committed, no backing out. Thought I could clear a branch, but with trees on the left couldn’t quite get clear on the right. Lesson learned the hard way.

Replacing the roof is a very invasive repair. Air conditioners, fans, ladder, vent caps, skylights all have to be removed and put back. If this dealer needed a list of parts to put together an estimate, that may be a signal that they have zero experience with roof repair/replacement.

You might be better off taking the insurance authorization and finding someone with experience.

In addition to RV dealers, there are shops that specialize in repairs to large vehicles like buses, fire trucks, etc.

kowAlski631

Replacing the roof is a very invasive repair. Air conditioners, fans, ladder, vent caps, skylights all have to be removed and put back. If this dealer needed a list of parts to put together an estimate, that may be a signal that they have zero experience with roof repair/replacement.

You might be better off taking the insurance authorization and finding someone with experience.

In addition to RV dealers, there are shops that specialize in repairs to large vehicles like buses, fire trucks, etc.

I agree, Dan. If this dealer can't put together an estimate of repair costs, I'd be hesitant to let them do the work. Just saying......

Martha

TexasTraveler2017

If you’re going to replace the roof, I would look at http://rvroof.com
I have heard many good things and I am looking at having this done over our perfect new rubber roof on our 2018 Gateway. I’m looking at it as future preventative maintenance since we will be fulltiming soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

An additional web search for vendors in your area with the search terms "RV collision Repair" might help find someone for the repair.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
My daughter just got her camper back from the dealer after having the roof replaced under warranty repair.
The only thing that they re-used was the AC unit. Every else up there was replaced rather than re-used.
The dealer and manufacturer stated it was less expensive to replace parts rather than taking the time to strip the adhesive and sealant from the old.

Peace
Dave

paleclaire

Thanks for the advice everyone! Love this forum and the awesome folks who share their knowledge. Happy camping!

So sorry to hear that you had to go through this. I think all of us try as best we can to use navigational tools that help us with the roads but as always there are so many obstacles to avoid these days it’s impossible. I’m glad that you were able to get a fix applied.