Entry Level Camper???

jerryjay11

Dropped off our Pioneer RL250 TT we purchased Sept. 17, at Camping World today for hopefully our last warranty repair. The service writer mentioned to me that there are issues with these "Entry Level" campers and it should be expected.

Well first of all we have had over 18 different issues with this trailer, everywhere from minor cosmetic, miss-wired entertainment system, to major issue with a LP line that was disconnected from the refrigerator. Found that out just prior to attempting to literally fire up the fridge on gas. I repaired many of the minor stuff thinking I wouldn't need to bring the camper 1 1/2 hour back to the dealer.

So am I suppose to expect all those issues?

To add insult to injury the service writer referred to our Pioneer as an "Entry Level" camper. Gee, we have owned 2 TT and 1 Class B and 1 Micro Mini motor-homes over the years. So the way I see it our Pioneer is an upgrade. Not an Entry level camper. You see none of the past RV's had a slide-out, large dinette table with wrap around seating, electric stabilizer jacks, as many cabinets as the Pioneer, fold down rear rack, waste tank flush system, electric awning w/strip light, picture window, etc.

I shook it off at the time, but now as I sit here I am getting a sinking feeling.

avvidclif

It's called "salesmans talk" for you need to buy something more expensive. Ignore it and go on. Just remember it next time you go shopping. When we were looking at the RV we have now the sales manager came down where we were and told the salesman, with us listening, that another store wanted the trailer and they were going to have to move it. After the manager walked off I told the salesman it's tough to sell out of an empty wagon and we left. It was still there until we made up our mind several days later. They called wanting to get us back looking.

Erikas favorite place on I20 by Canton.

John T Bettencourt

jerryjay11, what hey are referring to is the camper is at the lower price scale of campers. Even the expensive one have plenty of problems as there seams to be no quality control. There was a guy on here just the other day with a Landmark 365 that the furniture was falling apart and that unit was 125K

jerryjay11

I appreciate the thoughts but I worked sales and later service for a national company and never would I tell a customer that her washing machine, refrigerator, etc. is a lesser product than what they thought. It insults their decision to have made that purchase. It discourages that customer from returning to your store for what they now perceive an inferior product. It's just bad business.

avvidclif

Yep, but you're not dealing with the sharpest knives in the drawer. You want to really get an RV salesman going ask him what brand of RV he personally owns and how many has he had. How often does he go camping?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dropped off our Pioneer RL250 TT we purchased Sept. 17, at Camping World today for hopefully our last warranty repair. The service writer mentioned to me that there are issues with these "Entry Level" campers and it should be expected.

Well first of all we have had over 18 different issues with this trailer, everywhere from minor cosmetic, miss-wired entertainment system, to major issue with a LP line that was disconnected from the refrigerator. Found that out just prior to attempting to literally fire up the fridge on gas. I repaired many of the minor stuff thinking I wouldn't need to bring the camper 1 1/2 hour back to the dealer.

So am I suppose to expect all those issues?

To add insult to injury the service writer referred to our Pioneer as an "Entry Level" camper. Gee, we have owned 2 TT and 1 Class B and 1 Micro Mini motor-homes over the years. So the way I see it our Pioneer is an upgrade. Not an Entry level camper. You see none of the past RV's had a slide-out, large dinette table with wrap around seating, electric stabilizer jacks, as many cabinets as the Pioneer, fold down rear rack, waste tank flush system, electric awning w/strip light, picture window, etc.

I shook it off at the time, but now as I sit here I am getting a sinking feeling.

The term "entry level" really means, a price-point that makes it attractive to enter into the RV ownership experience. That should not mean lesser quality. They will have fewer "bells and whistles" so that they can be affordable. They may have less expensive components than other more expensive trailers.

Do not let it get you down, just get it fixed and ENJOY! As you know, once bitten by the RV bug, it's hard not to upgrade. ;)

CoveredWagon

It's called "salesmans talk" for you need to buy something more expensive. Ignore it and go on. Just remember it next time you go shopping. When we were looking at the RV we have now the sales manager came down where we were and told the salesman, with us listening, that another store wanted the trailer and they were going to have to move it. After the manager walked off I told the salesman it's tough to sell out of an empty wagon and we left. It was still there until we made up our mind several days later. They called wanting to get us back looking.

Erikas favorite place on I20 by Canton.

This is exactly why I order what I want. Deal from strength. Let the know they are not the only one around. We traveled several miles, made a better deal and received better service. Issues yes but corrected in two days before it left the lot.

- - - Updated - - -

As you know, once bitten by the RV bug, it's hard not to upgrade. ;)

Gawd I hope not, I’m getting too old for the sh$$ errrr stuff 😂

jerryjay11

The term "entry level" really means, a price-point that makes it attractive to enter into the RV ownership experience. That should not mean lesser quality. They will have fewer "bells and whistles" so that they can be affordable. They may have less expensive components than other more expensive trailers.

Do not let it get you down, just get it fixed and ENJOY! As you know, once bitten by the RV bug, it's hard not to upgrade. ;)

You are absolutely correct. It shouldn't mean lesser quality, but that's exactly what this guy meant in his statement to me.

First of all it was the service writer not salesman who said it was an entry level. To tell me that's why I should expect to have so many issue is like saying "you get what you paid for" and you aren't as valued a customer as someone that spent more.

Second I am not an entry level camper. As I stated I have had several camper units and no matter it is still disheartening for their service rep to state you have to expect issues because you didn't pay as much as the other guy. In my eyes this was an upgrade. I got the size and accessories I wanted in this unit. I am happy with the Pioneer. We both love the room and features. It's longer than our last TT and still maneuverable enough to get into our driveway. I sold my motor-home because it sat in the driveway more than getting on the road as I use to. I don't like 5th wheels because they make my truck bed useless. And for the "bells and whistles", I got all I want or needed with our Pioneer.

What I am taking from this experience of dealing with an out-of-state camper purchase is once the warranty period is over I will go to a local Heartland dealer for any maintenance or upgrades. The drive will be shorter and not as much traffic involved.

LBR

You are absolutely correct. It shouldn't mean lesser quality, but that's exactly what this guy meant in his statement to me.

First of all it was the service writer not salesman who said it was an entry level. To tell me that's why I should expect to have so many issue is like saying "you get what you paid for" and you aren't as valued a customer as someone that spent more.

Second I am not an entry level camper. As I stated I have had several camper units and no matter it is still disheartening for their service rep to state you have to expect issues because you didn't pay as much as the other guy. In my eyes this was an upgrade. I got the size and accessories I wanted in this unit. I am happy with the Pioneer. We both love the room and features. It's longer than our last TT and still maneuverable enough to get into our driveway. I sold my motor-home because it sat in the driveway more than getting on the road as I use to. I don't like 5th wheels because they make my truck bed useless. And for the "bells and whistles", I got all I want or needed with our Pioneer.

What I am taking from this experience of dealing with an out-of-state camper purchase is once the warranty period is over I will go to a local Heartland dealer for any maintenance or upgrades. The drive will be shorter and not as much traffic involved.

Sure wished I would have known that 5th wheels makes a truck bed useless before we decided to buy our CY.

jerryjay11

Sure wished I would have known that 5th wheels makes a truck bed useless before we decided to buy our CY.
When traveling I need to use the truck bed to carry items I want to keep dry and secure with my tonneau, such as tools, extra charcoal, the grill, extra bottle LP. Stuff I don't want in my camper storage. So in my case a 5er does not fit my needs. Not trying to step on anyone's toes here, just expressing what is the norm for me.

avvidclif

Mine's not useless. It has a toolbox. Room for 2 bottles of propane, can of diesel, and firewood. Just can't stack it to the ceiling.

kowAlski631

Last time we took our 2013 BH in, a service advisor said "what do you expect, it's old". Some people have no business dealing with the public. Shake it off and move on.

jerryjay11

Last time we took our 2013 BH in, a service advisor said "what do you expect, it's old". Some people have no business dealing with the public. Shake it off and move on.

"Some people?"...that's my point. 2013 old? Our 2007 Starcraft, now that was old. Now it's gone. CW probably crushed it.

John T Bettencourt

Does not make the bed useless as when you pull the hitch out you just have two rails in the floor. If that bothers you then cut a piece of plywood to go between the rails and staple a piece of carport on it. Bed will be like it wasn't even there. Been doing it for the last three trucks

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I guess my 2009 belongs in the Smithonian. When not needed, my simple 16K Reese hitch comes out in two pieces and stores in my garage (where it is right now).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBR

Mine's not useless. It has a toolbox. Room for 2 bottles of propane, can of diesel, and firewood. Just can't stack it to the ceiling.

Does not make the bed useless as when you pull the hitch out you just have two rails in the floor. If that bothers you then cut a piece of plywood to go between the rails and staple a piece of carport on it. Bed will be like it wasn't even there. Been doing it for the last three trucks

Just like most everyone that pulls a fiver, we also find the truck bed extremely useful.

I keep 2-30# and 1-20# extra propane tanks, 3-7 gallon fresh water containers, 2-5 gallon gas jugs, a 6' foldup ladder, tabletop BBQ, and our 2K Yamaha genset in the bed.....this is all bulk and weight the Cyclone doesn't have to carrry.

I actually have it pretty good, John, since I don't need to remove the hitch at all. Our old truck had the rail style, but I sure do like this new-to-me puck style so much better.

kowAlski631

"Some people?"...that's my point. 2013 old? Our 2007 Starcraft, now that was old. Now it's gone. CW probably crushed it.

My staff were primarily customer service. They understood when they were hired that complaints about their attitudes and responses were grounds for dismissal. My rules were simple - speak as you would like to be spoken to and never knowingly give false information. I suppose that I'm old school - people now are accustomed to being rude on social media without repercussions.

Martha

jerryjay11

My staff were primarily customer service. They understood when they were hired that complaints about their attitudes and responses were grounds for dismissal. My rules were simple - speak as you would like to be spoken to and never knowingly give false information. I suppose that I'm old school - people now are accustomed to being rude on social media without repercussions.

Martha
I from the old school as well.

- - - Updated - - -

On another note, I said in my original post "my truck" bed is useless, not "a" or "all" or "anybody's" with a fifth wheel receiver in it, just mine and mine alone and for the purpose I purchased it and installed a bed liner and tonneau. To each their own.

BusManRG

Don’t forget that with prior approval from Heartland you can take your rig to most RV service centers, not just dealers. IMO that’s the best way to go. A dealership’s primary goal is sales. Service is secondary at best. If you’ve already signed papers and the rig is yours, move on! Call Heartland and get the name of a repair
center near you!

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Don’t forget that with prior approval from Heartland you can take your rig to most RV service centers, not just dealers. IMO that’s the best way to go. A dealership’s primary goal is sales. Service is secondary at best. If you’ve already signed papers and the rig is yours, move on! Call Heartland and get the name of a repair
center near you!

Agree. We have never had our rig back to the to the dealership for repairs. We have a local independent repair facility about 10 miles away. Heartland has always approved repairs. I make the first initial call to Heartland and then the shop takes it from there. They give Heartland an estimate and it goes from there.