Considering 3400RL

My DW & I went again to look over the 3400RL at our dealer in Okeechobee FL. We are getting closer to buying either the 3400RL or an Alfa See Ya. The dealer carries both brands plus some others. As we were looking both units over we were advised the dealer would no longer be handling the Heartland Brand. We were advised that they were having problems with warranty claims being paid by Heartland, and they, the dealer, could not afford to absorb the loss of not being paid. They did say the Heartland was a good quality unit with few problems however.
Is this going to be a problem down the road if we do buy this unit? I don't want to have to tow several hundred miles to another dealer for warranty work. This is going to be our permanent home!

Cheryl

I can't tell you anything about the warranty claim. I can tell you that the dealership we bought ours from is no longer a Heartland dealer. The only had the one unit (ours) on the lot. They negletcted to inform us that after they sold it to us that they would no longer be dealers for Heartland. I don't know why they aren't dealers. However, we are very pleased with our Golden Gate - sure we had minor issues, but a phone call to the factory has resolved every one so far. There is a dealer about 2 hours away in the other direction, but I don't know if we would be able to take ours there if needed or not?

tinkers

Full timers
Buckeye, we bought a 3400RL last May, and had many serious issues, but our dealer was WONDERFUL with getting them resolved. Factory response was disappointing, and our dealer did say that the factory will reimburse only a limited amount of work. As a result, they have lost dealers. We only hope ours doesn't leave Heartland before our warranty is up!!!

We are near you in Florida, about 50 miles away from Okeechobee for the winter. If you would like to see ours, you may email us directly.
Logan and Pat
Tinkers

phranc

Our dealer ( Seven O's in Syracuse NY.) never was a BH dealer .Heartland was trying to sign them on at the time of our purchase from them. We have only had a couple of minor issues and the dealer took immediate care of us without a wimper. Couldn't ask for a better place to do business. I can only assume the dealer has been paid properly by Heartland .

Tom of Ypsi

Buckeye, there is a thread on rv.net in the 5th wheel forum, third page "Question about Alpha trailers". This should help on that part of your question. Sounds like the jury is about 50 - 50 on the Alpha, far less than the BH.

davebennington

We looked at the Alpha as well as the Moble Suites before choosing the Landmark/Golden Gate. If I remember right the Alpha was a very nice unit however with the slides closed the bed tilted up so you could not use it at all, at the time the MS was having too many problems. We have had a couple of problems but the dealer took care of them very quickly.

Dave:)

driver311

i am in Okeechobee for the winter. i would be happy to talk to u about landmarks or big hornes. if u need a dealer call RV.s for less in Knoxville, tn. there prices are a lot lower than this one in Okeechobee. u will be pleasantly surprised .None None

driver311

Still Considering

First to those that replied, thank you. I guess my real question is, if I have a problem & am still within the warranty period, will the factory authorize repairs at any dealer? Especially if we are not close to a Heartland Dealer!

Tom of Ypsi

I was told Heartland will authorize repairs at a non Heartland dealer only if there is not one around you. If you are totally disabled or something that is really needed, refer is out, slides do not work, axles bent or frame cracked, I would imagine they would say go to nearest repair shop. If you just want small items fixed I would imagine they would tell you to wait until you get to an authorized dealer. Heartland has just signed up new dealers around the country so it is getting easier to find an authorized dealer.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Hello Buckeye1286
I own a Grand Canyon purchased from the dealer you are refering to and I would just as soon as blow the place up before I bought from them again. I have sploken to another Landmark owner who feels the same way. If you call the factory and they will tell you why they do not reimburse that dealer. I don't have the time or the space to go through all the crap but I did take may fiver to a non-Heartland service center and they fixed the problems. I did call the factory and get authorization to do this and I paid for the repairs. Heartland then sent me a check for everything covered under the warranty. I have found that Heartland will do alot more to make the customer happy then any one else, but that is my opinion. As for a dealer call Butch at R.V.s for Less in Knoxville, he will even have the unit delivered to you, and like one of the other threads stated you will be surprised. Keep us informed and good luck, even if you buy the Alfa.

StephenA

We are also considering a 3400RL, I noticed no one that replies owns a BigHorn. All the replies are from the Landmark owners. I would love to hear from a Big Horn owner. We have also looked at the Alpha, my wife has a major issue buying a product made in Canada. So she is compairing the 3400RL to a Keystone Everest 344J. Any input would be nice! She has also been looking at the Durango's (they seem cheap to me).

Thanks!

Stephen
Cedar Park, TX

arisce

The Durango seems cheap because it is the low end of KZ. Look at the Sportsmen or Montego Bay by KZ. We have the 3600 Big Horn. We love the layout. We have had a few problems but nothing serious.We like the layout and the quality is there. The company is listening. I think that the earlier units had growing pains. I would not hesitate to recommend a Heartland product.

StephenA

Thanks for the info. So you have sat tv in yours? I've noticed that the Bedroom TV doesn't have a sat hookup, but it looks like it can be rewired to do this.

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
We have 3400RL BigHorn . We took ownership of this coach in June of 2005. We were so suprised at the amount of storage this unit has. We enjoy the big walk in closet and the king size bed. We have a fireplace as well as the artic pack. We find this coach very pleaseing and is a home away from home. The more you go camping with this coach the more you will enjoy the quailty through out this coach. there are so many good things about this coach it is hard to stop talking about this coach. Good luck in your decission and enjoy camping!! Evans & Lana

Phil Smith

Retired South Carolina Chapter Leader
StephenA,

I have a Bighorn 3200RL. It is a model that has already been discontinued but we really love the layout. We did a lot of research before buying our Bighorn and found that too many mfrs did things like having exposed plumbing in the basement area, really cheap cabinetry or just plain horrible finish trim. Hearland will not come without some problems of thier own. Our unit has spent a lot of time getting minor problems resolved. I read quite a few comments on this site about disappointing responses from the factory but my experience has been quite the opposite. Be sure to buy from a dealer you trust to "be there" after the sale and you will not be disappointed. I don't think you will be disappointed if you decide on a Heartland product unless like us...just can't find enough time to get out there and enjoy it!
Phil

timk

Buckeye
I would ask Scott in the ask the factory section. He should be able to address your concerns. We have a 3400rl early 06. Love it. But the biggest problem is it sits in the driveway too much.
TimK

phranc

There are a lot of simalarities between the Everest and the Big Horn and quite a few differences. Check the tank sizes ( 45 gal in each tank) huge bedroom closet,corian counters,nice tall basement w/ rubberized flooring, and that neat docking center thats waist high(no bending over). Oh yeah , how about the full extension ball bearing drawer glides ,kitchen and bedroom too..