National Interstate not renewing policies--options

aatauses

Hi everyone,
We are full timers and have had National Interstate Ins. for the last 8 years or so--they were one who understood full timing. Anyway, they are no longer going to insure full timers. For those who have them, what are you thinking of doing? Also, what ins. do other full timers have? Nat Interstate did suggest Safeco, but when we reviewed the proposed policy, it did not look like full timing, more like a modified car insurance?
Any suggestions/options would be appreciated.
thanks
al
currently in AZ.

franks1

Retired Alabama Chapter Leaders
Re: Natioanl Interstate not renewing policies--options

We are fulltimers and have Progressive .We had a accident in New York back in Aug. They did a good job on taking care of us.One thing to look for is emergency funds,the basic is for 750.00 .For 40.00 more you can have 7500. Believe me it is worth it to have that better coverage.We learned the hard way'

MCTalley

Progressive here, as well. When we switched, someone warned me to watch out for much higher rates after year one. Ours went down about 5 or so percent on my recent renewal.

If you full-time and have some stuff in a rented storage unit (like we did for a few years), read the fine print on the "items in storage" section before committing to that rider. The stored items rider on our policy only covered items in storage in your own personal storage building or shed, and not in a rented commercial storage unit.

Hogladyrider

I would contact Miller Insurance and request a quote, they rep several companies who issue fulltimer insurance.

Often premiums depend on your domicile state as well. Suggest you look for a policy with full replacement coverage. You will have to provide a copy of your Bill of Sale for your RV. Minimum coverage should be 100/300

Miller Insurance 800-622-6347 or millerrvinsurance.com and you can get a quote online.

There are several others out there as well but make sure you have FULLtime coverage not just a rider on your auto policy.

Good Luck and let us know how you make out!

Susan

B

BouseBill

National Interstate here also. Policy expires in April and have not heard anything from them about not renewing. Will have to check into this situation and see what's brewing :( The did cancel our second auto policy for the car,(last year) but left the full-timers, RV and Truck insurance alone
:confused:

LBR

National General insurance thru Good Sam on both truck and fiver for us.

jerryjay11

Hi everyone,
We are full timers and have had National Interstate Ins. for the last 8 years or so--they were one who understood full timing. Anyway, they are no longer going to insure full timers. For those who have them, what are you thinking of doing? Also, what ins. do other full timers have? Nat Interstate did suggest Safeco, but when we reviewed the proposed policy, it did not look like full timing, more like a modified car insurance?
Any suggestions/options would be appreciated.
thanks
al
currently in AZ.
I'm not a full-timer but just thought I'd mention that if you are a Good Sam member you might want to see if you can get a better deal with progressive through GS. Progressive is one of the insurance carriers with Good Sam Insurance.

I am also with Progressive and have been for many years.

aatauses

Thanks everyone, BouseBill, ---yes we also had our tow vehicle cancelled last year and now since our policy is up for renewal, they (nat Interstate) said they are no longer going to insure rvs. They did recommend Safeco, so we have been in touch with and may?? go with them, just want to look at all our options.
al
currently in AZ

jerryjay11

Thanks everyone, BouseBill, ---yes we also had our tow vehicle cancelled last year and now since our policy is up for renewal, they (nat Interstate) said they are no longer going to insure rvs. They did recommend Safeco, so we have been in touch with and may?? go with them, just want to look at all our options.
al
currently in AZ

Safeco is also a Good Sam insurer. Just in case you weren't aware. Allied and Foremost along with National General also.

ksucats

I spoke with National Interstate renewal clerk last Friday, they are getting out of the RV insurance business. All of their current business appears to be going to Safeco. I called Safeco and was told that they were assuming National Interstates RV accounts and would be sending out mail 60 days prior to renewal advising such. 30 days out they would be sending out renewal quotation. Since I have a 2017 F450 I asked specifically if they would still cover it. Answer I got was that she looked at their requirements and, as she read it, as long as it 'was for private use only', it should be covered. Note the 'as she looked at it' and 'was for private use only' (which it is), it 'should' be covered. Sure doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

B

BouseBill

We are about 60 days out for renewal, guess we'll wait and see what happens.
Also with a F-450. I'm not very concerned, just don't want to see sticker shock for 2018/19

budman229

We were insured by Travelers until our recent renewal when we were told they would no longer insure our F-450 because we were not commercial. The only insurer we could find that would insure a F-450 without being commercial was GS National General. We put all of our insurance with them (vehicles, RV, house and umbrella) policies with them and saved quite a bit with the same coverage.

Paul

LBR

We were insured by Travelers until our recent renewal when we were told they would no longer insure our F-450 because we were not commercial. The only insurer we could find that would insure a F-450 without being commercial was GS National General. We put all of our insurance with them (vehicles, RV, house and umbrella) policies with them and saved quite a bit with the same coverage.

Paul
When I called Good Sam, the agent told me the best underwriter for our new F-450 and new Cyclone on the same non-commercial policy would be National General. Within a couple minutes he quoted me just south of $1000/yr with full coverages on both...told him to write it up.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We use National General for the BH, non-full time coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandy2407

Out of the blue we received an RV insurance policy from Safeco Insurance. The policy was effective April 3, 2018 (the day our NI policy expired) through April 3, 2019. There was no mention that I could find as to National Interstate. I checked National Interstates website and discovered that they were no longer insuring RV's. We began searching for RV insurance. We first checked Good Sams on line and were shocked by the price ($2,190.00 yr). We then spoke with Safeco and were amazed with the help and price. We have a 2014 Landmark and were able to obtain a Safeco policy for $491.00 a year (similar to NI) for Comp, Collision (both agreed value $73,590.00 if totaled), $75.00 per day loss of use, $300,000 liability and personal property. We are not full timers and live in Colorado.

ksucats

Steve and Sandy -- Glad to hear that you had such a good result. That pretty much matches what I was told by Safeco when I called them last week. They are going to try to match the last policy as best they can within what their policies have. Mine comes due in May so hoping they keep it going.

porthole

Retired
I've had National Interstate for 9 years and based on this thread I sent them an email.

This was the response:

Hello Duane,

National Interstate has made the decision to exit the personal lines insurance market.

· All RV and Companion Auto policies will be non-renewed.
· We have partnered with Liberty Mutual Insurance for them to offer quotes to our customers where they meet the Liberty Mutual underwriting guidelines.
· If you are eligible with Liberty Mutual, you should receive a quote from them 30-60 days prior to your policy expiration.

o Your policy is paid in full through the expiration July 24, 2018.
· You will receive a non-renewal letter from National Interstate.

We encourage you to contact your agent of record as they will be able to assist you with your Liberty Mutual quote and/or help you with quotes from other companies.

Agent Name & Phone: Explorer Insurance Agency
Policy Number: (888) 774-6778

Thank you,
Personal Lines Customer Service

B

BouseBill

Received the new insurance quote from Safeco in yesterdays mail.
The quote has several errors, shows the F-450 as a motor home, (corrected by Americas Mailbox insurance agent)
coverage we don't need, and coverage we do want was left off, such as personal liability, (full-timer's) and property protection.
We're working with the agent to massage the quote to fit our needs. The quote was $200+ less than National Int., but we'll see how it comes out after the changes.