Solar System From scratch

Hello,
I'm new to the forum, just recently started our full time RVing experience. We have a 2012 Cyclone 3800. I would like to install a solar system that will make it possible for us to dry camp for long periods with out using the generator. Our electric use is not extreme, we rarely use A/C, never use the microwave, plan to change all bulbs out to LEDs, I do have a small chest freezer, and mini fridge in the garage. I have Solyndra solar panels, they are extremely efficient panels and do not need to face the sun, my plan is to install them on top (they come with short metal legs).
I don't have many questions about the installation of the system, primarily, I just need to know what else I need to buy to make this all work. I know I will need to add batteries, but how many? Do I need to alter the volts or amperage before it reaches the batteries? If so, how?
Attached is a photo of the panel label with the specs. Thank you for any info or advice!

carl.swoyer

Hello,
I'm new to the forum, just recently started our full time RVing experience. We have a 2012 Cyclone 3800. I would like to install a solar system that will make it possible for us to dry camp for long periods with out using the generator. Our electric use is not extreme, we rarely use A/C, never use the microwave, plan to change all bulbs out to LEDs, I do have a small chest freezer, and mini fridge in the garage. I have Solyndra solar panels, they are extremely efficient panels and do not need to face the sun, my plan is to install them on top (they come with short metal legs).
I don't have many questions about the installation of the system, primarily, I just need to know what else I need to buy to make this all work. I know I will need to add batteries, but how many? Do I need to alter the volts or amperage before it reaches the batteries? If so, how?
Attached is a photo of the panel label with the specs. Thank you for any info or advice!
Sorry I didn't see the pictures?
I'm using a morning Star duo Charge controller allows me to split the incoming solar to two set of batteries. I can program it to AGM and or wet cell batteries. However recently I move my dry camping to the house batteries location. This has proven to be hands down more efficient. I run four group 31 AGM deka batteries with the Magnum Ms 2812 . I also have a remote control for the Magnum and have a great variety of programing options. The solar panel it a 220 watt solar system. I left my factory Charger wired but disconnected from 120 ac. If my Magnum charger should ever fail I simply plug the factory back in. My solar panel Is portable and I am adding a solar tracking system.
Heading out in town to Duval St in key West. If I can answer any questions I would be happy to.
536e6c77a5967e90bff5584c01b87c6f.jpg
851d85312a298389ef3fdffb3c63a65b.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Oregon_Camper

BTW...you need to have 5 posts before you can attach a picture, this keeps BOTS / Spammers out.

Now...for your solar setup you will need consider how you want to convert the solar panel energy into the battery bank (2-4...depending on your usage...or more??)

You asked "Do I need to alter the volts or amperage before it reaches the batteries? If so, how?

That is the job of the solar controller. There are two types - PWM and MPPT. Each are available in MANY capacity levels.
  • PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) charge controllers are good low-cost solutions for smaller systems that run on a parallel connection.
  • MPPT (Maximum Power Point Technology) charge controllers maximize a panel's output under all weather conditions and work best with a series connection.

Of course you can do series/parallel to MPPT as well.

Have you considered installing an Inverter, so your RV has AC (110v) power....or do you simply want to use solar to charge battery bank and have 12v power for RV?

Here is a picture of my setup...I keep changing it to better suit our needs (..and my need to fiddle with stuff). I'm thinking of adding a new MPPT controller and more solar.

Bighorn Power Layout.jpg

Oregon_Camper,
Thanks
for the reply and the very well done diagram.

I assumed I would run the panels in series since it is a relatively small system, however I would like it to be as efficient as possible.

Yes, I would like to install an inverter, I think it will be necessary to run the chest freezer and mini fridge correct? And give me more flexibility overall?

What is your recommendation on the size of the system to operate everything except A/C units?
(Keep in mind I have a chest freezer and mini fridge in addition the campers fridge/freezer.)

Oregon_Camper

What is your recommendation on the size of the system to operate everything except A/C units?
(Keep in mind I have a chest freezer and mini fridge in addition the campers fridge/freezer.)

Whoa...that is a bigger setup.

If I were you, I'd have 2 sets of panels on the roof.
  • Set 1 - to charge RV's main batteries and run all factory stuff
  • Set 2 - Wired to garage area on separate battery bank.

Get yourself a large inverter (2000w..??) to run the chest freezer and mini fridge, keeping them off the main RV's power grid and avoid having to calculate their power consumption and need for possible new sub-panel.

I can only imagine those will consume a large amount of amps...so you will need a large battery bank. Possibly even lithium, as they can discharge to ~80%, where acid batteries shouldn't go below 50% (which might be high).
  • Note...if you haven't priced lithium batteries, you might want to grab a few adult beverages and sit down BEFORE you start looking into them.

The more I look into this the more complicated it gets! Thanks for all of the great advice, I will check out the book and talk to a few solar suppliers.

Oregon_Camper

The more I look into this the more complicated it gets! Thanks for all of the great advice, I will check out the book and talk to a few solar suppliers.

It is just like a lot of things...it seems insurmountable at first, but once you've done solar/inverter/transfer switch/etc...it becomes pretty easy to understand and install.

If you can find someone local that has done it before, that is willing to help you the first time, that would really help. I had help with my first solar install, as I had no clue what I was doing back then, now I feel very comfortable with all aspects of it. Well...I still need to learn a bit more about using Lithium batteries, but that install is still a few years away.

carl.swoyer

Doesn't have to be complicated.
I purchased a 220 watt solar panel with the morning star duo.
It's just that easy. Now they have 350 watt solar panels. All that other math and science isn't necessary.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders

Morningstar corp has an awesome system calculator that makes it easy to determine system configuration between charge controllers and many different panels.
https://www.morningstarcorp.com/

They also offer various webinars and tons of information to make it easier to design your own system successfully.