Water capacity question

We have a 2011 Bighorn 3670 and do a fair amount of boondocking.

Trailer specifications show 75 gallon fresh water capacity, but when we are completely out of water (pump sucking air) we can only add 48 gal. until it over flows.

This can't be right, can it? Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

danemayer

Hi yourpcgeek49,

The tubing between fresh tank and pump is attached to the tank on the front surface, so there's always going to be some water in the tank below the level of the attachment. If your tank is not level, or is sagging in the center, as tanks sometimes do, more water will be unable to flow through the point where the tubing attaches.

You might want to take out some of the coroplast mounting screws on one side and take a peek at the fresh tank to see if it needs some help. An impact wrench is usually a better choice for removing the mounting screws.

Generally, the fresh tank is located over the axles, so you might take a look from a position on the side, just to the rear of the rear axle.

Oregon_Camper

Also note...I think the stated 75 gallons, includes the water in the hot water tank.....which is 8 gallons (maybe 10?)

Gary521

More than likely, you have water in the tank vent system. I used to carry a small hose to place over the vent opening and blow out the water in the vent line. If you can hear gurgling in the vent then it is clear.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
More than likely, you have water in the tank vent system. I used to carry a small hose to place over the vent opening and blow out the water in the vent line. If you can hear gurgling in the vent then it is clear.

First time I had to do that after getting only about 15 gallons into the tank (I was just testing the system) before it starting spewing out the inlet. Blew out the vent and problem solved. We don't use the tank for normal operations (always on city water), but I do put about 30 gallons in it while on our site, just incase of a power failure. Power goes out during a storm and the CG's pumps stop, but I can still use the tank to flush the commode via our water pump.