Mounting a Television to a Wall

Big-B

Hello,

I have a question about mounting a television to an outside wall. I bought a 28" smart tv for the bedroom and it is a little too tall to just set on the tv shelf when it is mounted to the pedestal. I also want to be able to mount it on a articulating mount so I don't have to take it down every time we travel. I already have the mount and it uses two screws to mount it and they are about 7 inches apart vertically. The television and mount weigh about 15 pounds combined

The wall is in the bedroom between two cabinets. The cabinets are mounted to the same wall with screws going into the wall.

My plan is to use a piece of 3/4" plywood and mount it to the wall and then mount the tv bracket to that. I used an electronic stud finder and it shows something behind the wall more than every 16".

Any advice that anyone has pertaining to mounting this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

mlpeloquin

The studs are metal and make sure your stud finder can detect metal studs. Mine can. The microwave oven and I suspect the bedroom TV is mounted into a metal plate that is attached to the studs. In the cool of the early morning, due forms on the outside and where the studs are there isn't any due. So it is a great indicator. I have not tried a rare earth magnet to see it it could locate the studs. They are very strong. If you use a Oral-B tooth brush, the brush part has a rare earth magnet. You might try that. It would be nice to place the magnets just above or below where you want to drill.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I was in a similar situation with mounting a TV.
I screwed a 1x1 cleat into each side cabinet then mounted my plywood to those cleats.
My plywood is covered with speaker felt so it looks clean and the cleats are not visible.
I mounted the cleats on an angle so that when I am lying in bed I look straight on to the TV.
The TV mount is screwed to the plywood.

Peace
Dave

Big-B

I just finished mounting it. The opening is over top of the emergency escape window and there is a metal strut that runs horizontally above it. I screwed a piece of 3/4" plywood to it with two self tapping screws and used four other drywall screws above and below it. After I hung the bracket I pulled down with about 100# of force and it held so it ought to hold a fifteen pound tv. Thanks for the tips folks.

Brian

eddylives

I installed a TV on the living area of the bedroom wall.
I found a nice piece of wood , stained it to match the existing cabinets and varnished it.
Attached it to the wall after finding the studs.
If you did not know any better you would have thought it was factory
IMG_1584.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tabibito

I just finished mounting it. The opening is over top of the emergency escape window and there is a metal strut that runs horizontally above it. I screwed a piece of 3/4" plywood to it with two self tapping screws and used four other drywall screws above and below it. After I hung the bracket I pulled down with about 100# of force and it held so it ought to hold a fifteen pound tv. Thanks for the tips folks.

Brian

You should post a pic of it; I'd like to see how it came out!
-Steve