Interested in TPMS for Bighorn

Hello all!

i just purchased a 2014 Bighorn 3570rs from a very good friend of mine. This is my very first camper of any type, nothing like jumping in head first right, ha!!! I am here to learn some tips and tricks....

I also want to run a TPMS unit and would be interested to know your thoughts on that as well.

I live in florida and and see lots of trips to the keys in our future! Thank you in advance for your words of wisdom!

- Keith

Last edited by a moderator:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Check the brand of the tires. If they are TowMax, replace them as they do not have a good reputation and the TPMS will not help much if you have a blow out.

Peace
Dave

WBG

WBGavin
We too have a TST system but did need the repeater (38' - 3570rs) Have both the flow thru and "Capped" sensors and prefer the capped ones. The flow thru type sticks out too far. I guess it is a matter of just how often you find you need to adjust the tire pressure.

I second the comment regarding "Blow Max" tires. They are the worst. My advice is replace them at once, or you may find yourself in the very difficult situation of being on the side of a freeway with only an 8' shoulder and cars & trucks cruising by at 70+ mph. Not fun.

brianlajoie

We started with Tireminder's TM66 TPMS. Worked really well. Had a sensor replaced no problem with service center. I changed to a Dill Air Control TPMS that monitors both the truck and trailer tires together. I upgraded my truck tires to commercial grade and need a system that could manage both well.

As the previous post said - If you still have Towmax tires on the trailer, do not go anywhere without changing them out.

Bogie

I have had Truck Systems Technology TPMS for five years. I hadn't had any tire problems in all that time, but it kept me informed as to what was going on with the tires. Fast forward to last month when we picked up our new rig. The dealers tech gave me the inflation spec and said he had checked the tires. I believed him and didn't check them myself though it was on my check list (my bad). Before we pulled out the next day, I mounted my TPMS. We made it about 10 miles down the road and the TPMS alarmed. One tire was low. Went right back to the dealer and had the tires aired up/checked. The TPMS saved me from trouble down the road.

The lesson learned is don't believe it when someone else tells you they "checked it". I also had them check the torque on the tire bolts while I stood there even though the tech said he had checked these too. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!

Oregon_Camper

I have had Truck Systems Technology TPMS for five years. I hadn't had any tire problems in all that time, but it kept me informed as to what was going on with the tires. Fast forward to last month when we picked up our new rig. The dealers tech gave me the inflation spec and said he had checked the tires. I believed him and didn't check them myself though it was on my check list (my bad). Before we pulled out the next day, I mounted my TPMS. We made it about 10 miles down the road and the TPMS alarmed. One tire was low. Went right back to the dealer and had the tires aired up/checked. The TPMS saved me from trouble down the road.

Wow...you had to drive 20 additional miles to have them put proper PSI in tire!! Errrrr!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I would have just pulled over and filled them with my ViAir compressor.

Bogie

I would have just pulled over and filled them with my ViAir compressor.

Normally I would have. Unfortunately, being a brand new rig, I didn't have my compressor on board with me. Also, I wanted the dealer to know they had an issue.