Looking for Paddle Board storage ideas for Bighorn

Hello all!

i just purchased a 2014 Bighorn 3570rs from a very good friend of mine. This is my very first camper of any type, nothing like jumping in head first right, ha!!! I am here to learn some tips and tricks and also what recommendations any of you may have for how I could transport our paddle boards. Are any of you doing that now?

I live in florida and and see lots of trips to the keys in our future! Thank you in advance for your words of wisdom!

- Keith

Last edited by a moderator:

Jv75353

Congrats on your new to you Bighorn! Welcome to the forum you will find many helpful people here and it’s a great source of information. Wishing you safe travels!

carl.swoyer

Hello all!

i just purchased a 2014 Bighorn 3570rs from a very good friend of mine. This is my very first camper of any type, nothing like jumping in head first right, ha!!! I am here to learn some tips and tricks and also what recommendations any of you may have for how I could transport our paddle boards. Are any of you doing that now?

I live in florida and and see lots of trips to the keys in our future! Thank you in advance for your words of wisdom!

- Keith
A neighbor here in Keywest has an 8 foot ladder under his fifth wheel. He made a few hangers and attached them to the chassis. He simply slides the ladder into the hangers from the rear .

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Lou_and_Bette

Those paddleboards should have a low enough profile that you could lay them across the front of the truck bed rails and still have clearance during tight turns, similar to the low profile tool box lid I have on mine????

LBR

Rack on top of truck will stow your boards with ease...seen storage pods, bicycles, kayaks on them. If the pod was wide and long enough, they probably would fit inside.

Those paddleboards should have a low enough profile that you could lay them across the front of the truck bed rails and still have clearance during tight turns, similar to the low profile tool box lid I have on mine????

The profile isn’t the issue. It’s the length! They are around 10-12 feet in length each!!

A neighbor here in Keywest has an 8 foot ladder under his fifth wheel. He made a few hangers and attached them to the chassis. He simply slides the ladder into the hangers from the rear .

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This is a super interesting idea! Do you have photos?

- - - Updated - - -

Rack on top of truck will stow your boards with ease...seen storage pods, bicycles, kayaks on them. If the pod was wide and long enough, they probably would fit inside.

If the boards are 12 feet long will that interfere with towing a fifth wheel?

Lou_and_Bette

The profile isn’t the issue. It’s the length! They are around 10-12 feet in length each!!

Sorry. didn’t have a clue as how long they were ��

- - - Updated - - -

Here’s how I mounted my ladder but this configuration wouldn’t work for you with the length of the boards but maybe you could mount 2 cross beams in a similar manner and carry the boards longways.

AC8F57E5-E250-4ECF-8EC6-480455EC032B.jpgAC8F57E5-E250-4ECF-8EC6-480455EC032B.jpgB314A273-A024-41AB-9F0E-975881E4B71E.jpg

Oldelevatorman

Great idea for a ladder. A roof rack for the truck seems like the best way to go imo! Great idea for ladder storage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gaffer

Sorry. didn’t have a clue as how long they were ��

- - - Updated - - -

Here’s how I mounted my ladder but this configuration wouldn’t work for you with the length of the boards but maybe you could mount 2 cross beams in a similar manner and carry the boards longways.

View attachment 56615View attachment 56615View attachment 56616
I would worry about the beam clamps rattling loose. I would drill the beam for the threaded rod
This looks like a great idea for storing a ladder.

Lou_and_Bette

I’ve had my sewer hose and 6 pieces of plastic guttering stored in a 6” plastic 6x6 cover attached in the same manner since we have owned the rig, pulled over 20k miles and have never had any problems or even able to tighten the clamps any at all. So, IMHO, if the beam clamps are installed correctly, then there shouldn’t be any loosening. That said, just like several other things on the rig and TV, I will ROUTINELY ​check the clamps for integrity.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I have seen kayaks carried on upright rack on back of RV.

This is one example

racks-vertical.jpg