Wiring in an extra battery

Johnp322

I have a questions about installing an extra battery. I had my TT hooked up to shore power charging the battery for a nice camping trip over the holiday weekend (no hookups). Upon arrival at the campsite the battery was very weak so I left the tow vehicle hooked up to give me some lights for the evening. Next day not to have my weekend ruined I went out purchased a new marine battery at the local walmart and a charger and was able to charge the new battery in the ranger station before installing it on the trailer. Upon returning home the trailer was at the dealer and they found the old battery defective and gave me a new one. Now I have two batteries which I was thinking of installing both battery boxes on the trailer and using both of them. The original is a standand size 12 volt battery but the new one I purchase is a larger 12v. Any pros or cons to this setup?

jbsiii

I've got dual 12 v batteries, but I had the dealer install them, so they're both the same size. I like the arrangement with the extra capacity. Highly recommended.

truknutt

Committed Member
... Now I have two batteries which I was thinking of installing both battery boxes on the trailer and using both of them. The original is a standand size 12 volt battery but the new one I purchase is a larger 12v. Any pros or cons to this setup?

I was taught to use two batteries of the same size and age, if possible. The older and/or smaller of the two will be the weak link in the circuit.