Closet Door Latch

bowtorc

I have heard about a new type of latch for the mirrored sliding doors but can find no source or name. Has anyone replaced their old ones with this new type and if so, where were they purchased?

Thanks
Roger

jbeletti

Hi Roger,

Your dealer can order these from Heartland. If inconvenient, I believe they can be ordered from Heartland Customer Service (877-262-8032).

Jim

snuffy

We were able to compare the two last week and the new ones are great, no comparison to the old ambush type.
The new ones are a brown softer plastic with rounded corners and are easy to operate.

phranc

Roger , I saw an artical in last mo. trailer life about mirror door latches.. Here is th co that has a new design http://www.seamerica.com/
Their response to me was
Thank you for your inquiry. Please see attached info. If you decide to purchase, you can find the latches online at the following address. Just click on the below link or copy and paste the below info into your browser address area.
http://www.rvlifestyles.net/(S(cm44bc2ak3j1hyjizecdna45))/ItemPage.aspx?id=310460&subcatid=3810000015026&GroupID=05230000033095&Search=True&Magic=F6NBVX0710140048730&DealerID=023004631523&GUID=f02cd57e-d72c-4b15-af1f-0e42adc68ebe

Attachments

• TravelLatchPackage_4-08r1.pdf
    136.4 KB · Views: 279

snuffy

Personally, I don't think anyone should have to pay for a replacement of a latch that was so badly designed and dangerous in the first place. It couldn't cost Heartland that much to replace all the ones in existence on their units.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Personally, I don't think anyone should have to pay for a replacement of a latch that was so badly designed and dangerous in the first place. It couldn't cost Heartland that much to replace all the ones in existence on their units.

Sorry, but I don't agree that Heartland has any responsibility for this. The latch was not something that Heartland engineered, but every other brand also had them. It was state-of-the-art until this one came out.

jnbhobe

I agree with CB, The originals plastic latches were FLESH EATERS but thats what everyone used.The new design are really great but Heartland souldn't have an obligation to replace old with new.Enjoy your Rig!! Happy Camping,JON;)

bowtorc

Thanks for the help. I had seen the new latches but could find no source. Just more proof of the value of the forum.

Roger

Cyclone Traveler

Thanks phranc, we saw these on a new trailer at the PA RV show and this is the only site that had a link. My Cyclone's getting an upgrade.

fhollan

I saw the latches on the newer models yesterday. I couldn't find them at Camping World. I called customer service at Heartland and I've got a set coming.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
$15.19 each:eek:, from the site linked above. Wow, we just got two from Rec-Spec yesterday for a whole lot less $. I would hope that Rec-Spec made a little profit on them, but these other folks must be marking up around 800%!

ChopperBill

I have the old plastic latches and have never had a problem. And I have the Midas touch of er... it ain't gold! When we get to the destination we just open the closet doors and push them to the opposite sides. Only use the latch while traveling.

ChopperBill

Well the rig has the new style latch. Renee had new found strength (after the second cocktail) and broke one. Never had a problem with the old latches, injuries or otherwise. Guess I will order an extra.

Hoosier Wolverine

I've been using the new latches for about a year. I installed them just after the last time my wife sliced her arm on the old ones.
I bought mine at Modern dealership in Anderson IN, can't remember the price.

Wharton

We have a 2011 and have broken 2 of the brown, rounded latches. Have ordered frm Tweety's other latches that we will try. If these don't last we will go to velcro.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Those of you that have broken the new brown latches, here is something to think about.
We had the new style latches in our old rig since they came out and never had a problem. When we got the new rig, one of the first things my wife did is break one off. I did notice that the door to latch allignment was off a bit. When I installed the new latch I moved it over for better allignment. Now it opens easier and so far has not broken off.
Just food for thought.

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
we just attached the velcro to the door frame and the other end to the end of the door. Sorry no photo.