Cleaning the Awning

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We just got back into the US from our trip to Canada. During our last week we saw rain almost every day. Now I have to go about cleaning it.

I am intrested in how you clean your awnings with what. I don't think awning my awning has mold on it yet but it can happen if it is not dried before putting it up.

On my previous trailer I dropped the braces and used a brush to clean the outside. The underside is a little more difficult.

I would like to see what someone else does.
Thanks

SmokeyBare

I've heard others suggest...

Using a spray bottle of your favorite cleaner... If there is Mold... some bleach would help get rid of problem... Spray the material well... and roll it back up... let it soak so to speak for a bit... then un-roll it & lock the braces... and Scrub with your long arm brush... and rinse.

Let us know how it does... :)

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
I use a ladder (or stand on a picnic table) for the underneath and spray it with the generic "Scrubbing Bubbles" from the dollar stores. Let it sit for about 5 minutes, then wipe it off with a clean rag.

Once the underneath has been cleaned, I lower the arms and spray the top and once again wait 5 minutes, then wipe it off. Again I use a ladder (or picnic table), and also a scrub brush with a handle to reach the entire top.

Being 6' 4" doesn't hurt.

One $1 can (16 oz) is enough to take care of the top and underneath.

Let it dry thoroughly before rolling it up.

It does not work for tree sap, however. I've never found anything that works effectively for that.

jnbhobe

I'm with Marv, I use simple green and a little bleach wet it down and roll it back up and let it sit.by the time I do the slide out awnings the same way its time to roll them back out, giv'em a quick brushing and rinse them off. Done it that way for years it WFM.;);)

jpmorgan37

The best thing that I found for tree sap is Mineral Spirits. (or Charcoal Lighter Fluid) I get as much off as I can (finger nail) and then a little mineral spirits does the rest. Another camper told me TSP in hot water, but I never tried it.

John