Hughes autoformer too many volts?

Capt7383

Kept having my progressive Ems 50 amp shut down due to high voltage. I unplugged the auto former and problem solved. EMS was showing 133 volts.
Any thoughts?

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

Gaffer

Doesn't sound like you need to boost a low voltage situation at your current location. Your EMS is saving you from its use.

porthole

Retired
Kept having my progressive Ems 50 amp shut down due to high voltage. I unplugged the auto former and problem solved. EMS was showing 133 volts.
Any thoughts?

What is the park voltage? The Autoformer is designed to boost voltage, reducing amperage. When input voltage is 118 or higher the Autoformer should be adding no more then 2%. So to get 133 volts with the Autoformer you would have to have 130 volts input.

Unless there is something wrong with the Autoformer.

Capt7383

What is the park voltage? The Autoformer is designed to boost voltage, reducing amperage. When input voltage is 118 or higher the Autoformer should be adding no more then 2%. So to get 133 volts with the Autoformer you would have to have 130 volts input.

Unless there is something wrong with the Autoformer.
Am I correct to believe that the autoformer should not add to park power that is acceptable. In other words the autoformer stays off until the power drops to a dangerous level

porthole

Retired
Am I correct to believe that the autoformer should not add to park power that is acceptable. In other words the autoformer stays off until the power drops to a dangerous level

The Autoformer doesn't 'stay off', it just automatically varies the boost. IIRC it will boost up to 10% when park voltage is low, but once the input is at 118 volts the Autoformer drops to a minimum increase of about 2%.

So if you have park voltage over 118 volts, add 2% to that number and that is what you should see on the output of the Autoformer. What your progressive EMS reads inside depends on the accuracy level of the EMS and whatever you are comparing it to.