Furrion Cooktop - can't simmer!

vdowning

The Furrion Cooktop in our 2017 Big Horn will not cook below a medium temperature, that is we're unable to simmer soups, stews, etc. Camping World advised me to contact Furrion; Furrion advised that it wasn't designed to cook on low. This renders the cooktop to be unusable for most cooking.
Has anyone had any success getting Furrion or Heartland to replace this defective design. I don't want to spend $400-$500 for an alternative cooktop.

danemayer

Hi vdowning,

Is this the propane cooktop by Furrion?

If so, there's a regulator that might be adjustable to reduce gas flow to the burners. Here's a link to the manual.

RoadJunkie

I consulted with Furrion about lowering the simmer capabilities on the stove and they advised me that nothing could be adjusted to reduce the flame level. While I would not agree that this restriction limits the ability to use the stove for most cooking, we have adapted our style by positioning pans to limit flame exposure when necessary. You would need pretty efficient pans—good heat transfer—for this technique to be useful.

porthole

Retired
The Furrion Cooktop in our 2017 Big Horn will not cook below a medium temperature, that is we're unable to simmer soups, stews, etc. Camping World advised me to contact Furrion; Furrion advised that it wasn't designed to cook on low. This renders the cooktop to be unusable for most cooking.
Has anyone had any success getting Furrion or Heartland to replace this defective design. I don't want to spend $400-$500 for an alternative cooktop.

Stoves don't get any cheaper then what we have at our firehouse. When it comes time for pots that need simmering we just stack the grates up. Sometimes one extra grate, sometime 2, but it works.

dieseldog

There has to something wrong with the regulator on the stove. I can get this one down to a very very small simmer flame.

jbeletti

I have found an alternate way to get a lower "simmer" flame and still have a decent air/gas mix. Rather than turning the burner knob fully counter-clockwise, from normal low, turn it back clockwise, through high and near vertical but not quite fully vertical.

This has worked for me, though I doubt it's recommended by Furrion. I have also had the flame "go out" on me once. Use at your own risk.

Below are images from my own experimentation. Again - use this method at your own risk.

Normal Low
low_burner_normal.jpg

Alternate Low
low_burner_alt.jpg

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I have found an alternate way to get a lower "simmer" flame and still have a decent air/gas mix. Rather than turning the burner knob fully counter-clockwise, from normal low, turn it back clockwise, through high and near vertical but not quite fully vertical.

This has worked for me, though I doubt it's recommended by Furrion. I have also had the flame "go out" on me once. Use at your own risk.
Won't the thermo-couple close the gas valve if the flame goes out?

RickL

Yup! My wife has the same compliant with our 2018 Oshkosh too. I plan on calling Furrion this week to find out and at least have it documented. Also, the wife isn’t too impressed with our Furrion convection microwave as you can’t turn the turntable off. Not sure who Furrion is using to design this stuff but it isn’t someone that uses these appliance full time. The shelf is too high and you can’t center what you’re cooking.

RoadJunkie

My wife uses a simmer mat because of the simmering issues you all are having. She says it is one of the best kitchen purchases she has ever made.

Great idea, and just in time. Our 50th wedding anniversary is coming up and this will be a great gift! :angel: Kidding, of course, but I will get one on order to try.

RickL

My wife uses a simmer mat because of the simmering issues you all are having. She says it is one of the best kitchen purchases she has ever made.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W24RW...nt=&hvlocphy=200623&hvtargid=pla-309586206182

I read where people have came up with work around, which is great. However, I’m not big on work arounds ( unless it is for an emergency basis), just FIX the problem correctly. As this is our home I want the stove top work no different then if we were still living in a S&B. I couldn’t imagine having to do work arounds in our S&B as I wouldn’t be able to sit down. I’d be at the service location or store repairing or replacing said issue.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I read where people have came up with work around, which is great. However, I’m not big on work arounds ( unless it is for an emergency basis), just FIX the problem correctly. As this is our home I want the stove top work no different then if we were still living in a S&B. I couldn’t imagine having to do work arounds in our S&B as I wouldn’t be able to sit down. I’d be at the service location or store repairing or replacing said issue.

We do not look at this as a work around. It is adapting to the current situation and equipment presented to us. From what we have read Furrion does not consider this an issue.

danemayer

RickL,

If you find an alternative stove top and replace the Furrion unit, perhaps you could take pictures of the project and post here in case anyone else wants to follow in your footsteps.

esscobra

I have had the cooktop/oven combo for 1 year now and it far exceeds any previous stove oven combo in any rv in the past 20 years- none of the std model combos in the past would simmer- they all burn way to hot- this new model is not perfect but definitely better and just get the simmer plate from above- you can buy at any bed bath and beyond - it works fantastic- the oven is way larger and way better and is actually useable for cooking rather than storage.

pegmikef

Our grandmothers and mothers always used these and my wife of 55 years has always used one when needed. We have them for the house and RV. I, too, do not consider this a work around, but rather just another useful kitchen accessory.

Attachments

• simmer.jpg
    simmer.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 32