Do you keep your batteries hooked up?

We are full-timing it on a purchased RV lot that has full 50 amp hookups. I was wanting to know if you typically keep your batteries hooked up while on 50 amp service or do you DC them and save them? The guy at the dealership said we have to check the water levels in the batteries to keep them from getting low. I do think the power went out for just a minute at the site though as we lost our microwave and AC but kept our lights on. Thinking the batteries allowed us to do that but there are work arounds for that as well and if the power goes out for a longer time, I should be able to just hook the batteries back up again to get by correct?

Gaffer

Leave them connected. Just check the water level once or twice a year and top off with distilled water as necessary.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
If your coach is equipped with the Progressive 9200 series converter it has a "maintain" function that monitors the battery(s) and will only go into a higher amp mode when needed. Bottom line is you shouldn't be putting undo stress on the batteries by leaving them connected.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
The converter on Heartland 5th wheels is located in the hidden basement behind the cargo bay. One of the back panels in the cargo will come out (usually held by a few screws).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justafordguy

Not sure if your 17 Gateway is the same as my 15 but the converter on mine is behind the breaker/fuse panel in the kitchen not in the basement.

pegmikef

IMO you should leave them hooked up as long as you are connected to shore power the converter will maintain them at the correct voltage, but do check the water in them every three or four months. I just traded in my Big Horn after four and a half years and it still had the batteries I bought right after we got it and they were still in good shape. That rig and my current Landmark was/is always connected to shore power except while being towed.

porthole

Retired
During the season - when home the trailer is plugged in.
Off season, I use to plug it in once a month for a couple of days, but with more and more things on the rigs I pretty much leave it plugged in all the time, only disconnecting when the snow blower comes out.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Before I started full-timing two months ago I've always left my trailers (last 20 years) plugged in to the house.

Never had an issue with this burning up batteries, and have only had to replace one battery over all of those years, and that was about seven years into owning that camper for roughly 15 years.

And I didn't have a clue how old the original battery was as I bought that camper well used (it was a 20 year old 1978 Coachman TT).

Still had the second battery in it when I traded it in for my previous Heartland Trail Runner.

dave10a

Always keep the batteries charged and watered properly. Wet cell batteries don't last long if under and over-charged and will die quickly if the plates are exposed to air. Also their life is greatly reduced if discharged more than 50% for deep cycle batteries and 80% for starting batteries. It would be a good idea to buy and install a battery watering device that is available at most RV outlets for approx. $40 per battery. Also make certain the charger has 3 modes of charging and includes an equalization mode. Most wet cell batteries should last more than 4years if charged and used properly.
If you have solar, the system should be design to not allow the batteries to discharge more than 50% to assure the longest life span for the batteries. Also a battery testing device would be helpful to know how the batteries are performing. Harbor Freight has one for less than $30 and test them at 100amps.

carl.swoyer

We are full-timing it on a purchased RV lot that has full 50 amp hookups. I was wanting to know if you typically keep your batteries hooked up while on 50 amp service or do you DC them and save them? The guy at the dealership said we have to check the water levels in the batteries to keep them from getting low. I do think the power went out for just a minute at the site though as we lost our microwave and AC but kept our lights on. Thinking the batteries allowed us to do that but there are work arounds for that as well and if the power goes out for a longer time, I should be able to just hook the batteries back up again to get by correct?
I've never disconnected my batteries. And on water and batteries, I got tired of the monitoring required. So I went to deka group 31 AGM batteries no maintenance or messy acid.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk