Weigh Stations

Dan54

On my 2nd trip since purchasing a 2011 Landmark & it occurred to me as I was passing a weigh station that I don't know the requirements. The sign said any truck over 8 tons needs to pull in & get weighed. I'm well over 8 tons, heck my rv is over 6 dry all by itself. So, should I be pulling in or is there some special dispensation for rv's? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I am not aware of any state that requires you to pull through a weigh station unless you are regulated by the dot ie hauling an rv for profit. While many folks consider their pick up a truck, it really is just a pick up.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you pull into one, don't expect a friendly greeting. Weigh stations are to regulate commercial haulers.

John T Bettencourt

No friendly greeting at the weigh station, I broke a spring in Punta Gorta Fl and it was just before the weigh station on 75 south. The attendee would not help me at all he through a phone book at me and said see if you can find someone and get that rig over there somewhere out of the way. Spend the night and did get an RV repair to come out the next day.

carl.swoyer

On my 2nd trip since purchasing a 2011 Landmark & it occurred to me as I was passing a weigh station that I don't know the requirements. The sign said any truck over 8 tons needs to pull in & get weighed. I'm well over 8 tons, heck my rv is over 6 dry all by itself. So, should I be pulling in or is there some special dispensation for rv's? Thanks

I've been all over the country with my fifth wheel never had to stop at any scale. Eleven years never stopped by the authorities for not stopping at the weight stations.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Weigh stations are for commercial vehicles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RPilot2

As a Former Motor Carrier Inspector..... Do NOT pull into a scale or Inspection station.....If they want You they will come to You....Just sayin.....There was a short time after 9/11 We looked at EVERY thing till things calmed down and we got a handle of what was happening

Smitty325

Did not see any responses to your question, so I will take a stab at it. Then some of the smart people may jump in. Weigh stations primarily have one function but may have a second. Their primary function is to audit commercial vehicle traffic for tariff collection that the particular state collects. The situation you describe may be the second function. As roadways age and fail, they "sometime" try to control and reroute heavy vehicles. If this is a path you frequent, call and ask. (These would be temporary stations) In Texas, we cruise right on by all weigh stations as ours are all for commercial vehicles.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

RickL

Pulling into a weigh station as a private truck, NON COMMERCIAL, could, I’ll repeat, COULD open your rig for a vehicle inspection. Pick the wrong day, get the wrong guy who got out of bed the wrong way, may spell trouble. They WILL find something and depending what they find could red tag you. That means your not driving out until the repair is completed or you are towed.