Towing an XLT with a Half-Ton

kampfirekid

So, if you can bear with this newbie here, I'd appreciate it. We are new to fivers and I have a few questions.

We have a 27 foot Jayco travel trailer and are considering upgrading. Our dream has always been a fifth wheel, but we always figured it was out of our league. This past weekend, we looked at a Sundance 285BH and fell in love with it. We also have been considering the North Trail version 28BH because it is a little lighter and has a lighter pin weight. Basically, the two are the same pigs with different listick as they say.

I have a 2008 Ford F-150 with the 5.4L and the dealer seems to think we will have no problem with our half-ton pulling the North Trail unit. He says he sells them all the time. We'd haul the fiver with a basically unloaded truck - all stuff in the fiver, so our payload of 1,680# should be fine, and the GCWR of 15,000# seems alright as well.

So the question is if any of you are hauling one of these with a half ton, and what are your experiences? If we do this, it probably won't be for a few months (probably late fall or early spring) and towing with a half-ton would probably be only a few times until next spring at which time I'll most likely trade up to a 3/4 ton truck again. Even if we pulled it next spring a few times, I think we could live with it. What do you all think? Could we "get by" for a few times camping, or would I be better off having it delivered home and stare at it while I'm waiting to upgrade our tow vehicle?

ccd001

1/2 ton towing a fifth wheel camper

NoneI know from experience 1/2 ton trucks will tow a fifth wheel your looking at. The real question is the terrian you will be towing in and how far
you will be towing camper from your home. 1/2 ton trucks have smaller
brakes and the transmission/driveline are so much lighter. If I were you I
wouldn't buy the camper till you buy the 3/4 ton truck and you should
consider a diesel engine. If there is one thing I've learned about towing
is make sure you have the right truck for your camper weight. I thing the
20% under the truck max tow rating is a good gauge to use. Camper salesman will always tell you you can tow it. But they want to sell campers they don't have to tow in a head wind or up mountain grades.
I hope this helps.
CLay Douglas
2007 Chev 3500 HD
Duramax/Allison
2008 BH 3055

Shadowchek

I agree with CCD001 . If you already have TT and are thinking about upgrading to a larger truck in the near future I would use what you have for now. Start looking around now at floor plans and options. The sundances are pretty nice.You are in the perfect situation to find what you want and research what you need to pull it comfortably and safely. Don't limit yourself because of a tow vehicle that you are going to upgrade anyways. When you find the 5ver you want get the new tow vehicle then go make a deal on the fiver and enjoy. If you are planning ahead you can order whatever you want from a discounter and have it delivered.

Good Luck

Greg

We're negotiating a Sundance 310QB, total dry weight is 5500. We drive a F150 4.6 06' model, but we're looking at purchasing an 08' 5.4 F150 to help with towing. However do you think we can tow with what we have. The truck says max tow weight is 6300-6800. We live in the Texas Hill Country so we don't have too much rugged terrain.

kampfirekid

We're negotiating a Sundance 310QB, total dry weight is 5500. We drive a F150 4.6 06' model, but we're looking at purchasing an 08' 5.4 F150 to help with towing. However do you think we can tow with what we have. The truck says max tow weight is 6300-6800. We live in the Texas Hill Country so we don't have too much rugged terrain.

Our Jayco pushes 6,000# and I have a 2008 F-150 with the 5.4L. Don't get the 20" wheels and tires... they'll kill you. I am running 20" load E tires on mine, and I think they are too heavy for rolling mass over the 18" standard wheel and tires. I'm tweaked with intake, exhaust, and tunes, and I'm not impressed with the 5.4L, but I have been driving diesels since 1999, too.

That said, the 310QB is a travel trailer, not a fifth wheel and some may have assumed. That trailer has a GVWR of 6,900#, a cargo capacity of 5,540#, and a tongue weight of 675#. Just watch your payload and GCWR and I thik you are fine. I'd not hesitate pulling that trailer behind my 2008 F-150.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

My opinion is you need at least a F250 (3/4 ton) truck to tow the Sundance. Look at the price and I think you will find the F150 and F250 not that far off in price depending on options. You say you live in the hill country, and I have traveled there and through there many times. Go down I10 coming into Kerrville and your F150 will be crawling up the hills. You will need more umph to do it right and not be a traffic hazard or a danger to yourself. Again...my opinion.:)

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Our frist TT was a sunnybrook 28foot we had a 1500 GMC they told us we could tow it our frist trip was so bad when we got home we went to the chevy dealer and brought a 2500 now we feel safe nothing worst then not feeling safe all we could do was 35 and still had trouble keeping it on the road.

Last edited:

jnbhobe

GEE KENNY; I knew you really wanted a Ford with all that F150 and F250 stuff your talking about:D:D:D:D JON ps seeya next week!!

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Okay Jon it wasn't Kenny It was me he will be up set now that I messed up thanks for pointing that out. Now i fixed it ----Kathy

Last edited:

Bill&Pat

just my 2 cents worth I tow our new 21FBS with a 2008 Dodge 1500 4X4 hemi its OK I have put air bags in it for stability and a sway bar no equalizer bars and it works OK up here in Canada although we are always in the hills etc the scary part is the down hills all the new trucks can pull anything up but can they stop it going down if I was to trade up I would look into a 2500 for sure .

bill

dakotakid

I have a 2004 2500 Dodge with the hemi. Will my truck handle the North Trail 28bh 5ver also looking at the 24rl 5evr.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I have a 2004 2500 Dodge with the hemi. Will my truck handle the North Trail 28bh 5ver also looking at the 24rl 5evr.

There are so many variables that the best place to answer this question is the Dodge site itself. They have that information readily available. And, it will be an authoritative answer.

dakotakid

When i asked if i could pull those trailers, i understand that at 35mph i can pull alot a weight. I was wondering at 65mph, how hard do they pull, uphill, in to a headwind. I have never pulled a 5ver, only travel trailers. Mine is 5000lbs and pulls ok. I hit a 35mph headwind and had a hard time running 60mph. Going up bigger hills 5000rpm and stays at 65-70mph. Heartland talks alot about the 88* nose cone, does it make a big differance in wind deflection. I have a 8ft bed, not a problem hitting the cab.

DntDctr

Lets go back to the OP. I just bought and pulled the 285bh. Great fifth wheel for the money. My TV is a F250 diesel. The truck pulled the trailer without a problem. No brake, power or handeling issues. I would not want to pull this trailer, even empty with anything smaller than a 3/4 ton. My neighbor has a F150 with the 5.4..He loves his truck and its a great truck. There is no way he'd be comfortable pulling my 5er with his truck. Its not build for that kind of load. My opinion, get the 250, or 2500 which ever you prefer and then the 5er. Too much trailer for a 1/2 ton.
Paul

kampfirekid

Yeah, I am the original poster. It's a dead issue. There is now way I'd consider pulling any fiver with any of the current 1/2 tons. We have the 31BHD travel trailer behind our 2008 F-150, and that's all I'm up for with this truck. Next time... a fiver, but only after an F-250 or F-350... first.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You can never have TOO big of a truck. Go with diesel power what ever brand you buy. You will get better pulling power, better fuel mileage, tougher drive train and more weight so the trailer is not pushing you around. You never want to be in a high cross wind with a light weight truck.:eek: My 2cts worth. Bob:D