Anyone tow a Sundance 310QB with an F150 4.6

Does anyone out there tow a Sundance 310QB with an F150 4.6? We're trying to negotiate the Sundance and at the same time having concerns about being able to tow it. The dry weight is 5500. According to our truck we can tow 6300-6800. Anyone out there that can help us decide?
:(

ccd001

4.6 Ford F150

I hate to be a bearer of bad news but there is no way you can tow the
Sundance with a 4.6 engine. I had a 4.6 in Ford F150 years ago and
bought a 24' Fifth wheel ( of course the salesman said sure you can tow it
ok) wrong!!!! I couldn't run 55 mph on the interstate it was completely
unsafe. Don't do it!!!
Clay Douglas
2007 Chev cc 3500hd
Duramax/Allison
2008 BH 3055

Great! That is bad news. You engine just couldn't handle it or it was too much trailer for the truck? I only ask because we were also negotiating a new 08' F150 pu with the 5.4 engine. Would that one work?

RVCamper

Sorry, you are going to need more truck. The tongue weight, rear axle weight, and weight of the trailer are all likely over the towing guide. The 4.6 is a great engine, but does not have the torque of the 5.4. However the 6 speed trans in the new ones are really nice.

So you think a F150 5.4 will be sufficient to pull this trailer? You're not saying that it's unsafe, just that it won't have any horse power.

Shadowchek

I pulled a 24' fifth wheel with a 1/2 ton dodge and a 5.9 Liter. all I could think about is why didn't I get a 3/4 ton truck. I got 6.5 mile per gallon my foot was in it hard just to go 55 on flat ground. Going up hill over a mild pass I was down to 30 to 35 mph it wasn't long before my rear end on my truck was howling my other rear end was all puckered up from the stress. 1/2 ton trucks just aren't designed for it and don't handle it well or safely. If you are considering a sundance and a new truck do your self a favor and get a 3/4 ton truck preferably diesel but a gasser would be o.k.

Greg

ccd001

If I could give you more information. I would buy the 3/4 ton truck with
the 5.4 or V10 if you can't afford the diesel. With the 3/4 ton you get
bigger brakes, axles, frame, shocks etc. which are very important features when it comes to towing. You won't be sorry you upgraded to an HD truck.
I've learned by experience because I didn't have someone help me understand what I really needed. Again I hope this helps.
Clay Douglas
2007 Chev CC HD 3500
Duramax/Allison
2008 BH 3055

rvn4fun

We have camping friends that have the same setup. They camp every weekend at the same place, about 30 miles from there home. After a few longer trips they decided that camper was just too much for there pickup. They eventually bought a used Ford 250 V 10 and now they are very satisfied.

caissiel

I the old days with the trailers without slides it was ok to pull trailers up to 27 ft with gas engines. But anything over the campers had problems with overheating, but a lot of campers our way did it. I pulled a 24ft trailer with a 2.9L Ranger quit well for 3 years and then a 1/2 ton chev 6.2L diesel. The power was about the same as the Ranger, but economy was better then the Ranger and 1/2 what other gassers did.
My friend hauled a 29Ft Newmar unit with his 5.9 for 1 summer and the engine kepted overheating. He traded on a 350 Cummins and 1/2ed his millage.
I would say the gasser is much cheaper but you have to look at the towing distances, no way can a gasser do what a diesel do on long distance.
I would buy a used diesel faster then a new gasser to pull any trailer size above 5000 Lbs.

I just thought I would say good job to everyone who commented on this topic.If we all had people be straight up with us from the get go it would have mad things easier.Dealers need to be held liable for selling units to people that don't have adequate tow veichles just so they can make a sale.You can't put a price on your life or families when towing or anyone else's life.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have a very good friend that just purchased a used 28 ft. Medallion and is currently looking to move up from a 2006 F150 5.4 to an F250 Diesel. He learned the hard way. He didn't know about Heartland soon enough either.:(

caissiel

I was camping in a local campground and one morning this fellow came to me and asked if I had mech. tools. He said he went to torque his wheel nuts on his 1500 Dodge and he could not feel any movement on his studs. So he tried to turn them back and his wrench would bend back.

So I went with my bar and tried to undo one nut and it turned to hard for 1/2" studs. So I undid one and the threads were stripped. He said they most have overtorqued the nuts at the tire shop.

Well I explained to him that the trailer was way to heavy on the truck and in a curve the weight of the 5th wheel on the axles is multiplied and the 5 little studs on the rear wheels were not enough, so they stretched the threads. My version anyway.

This man had bought a 30ft 5th wheel from the local dealer and they sold him the TV in the package all new and setup to tow.

He told me he was on his way to Vancouver, 4000 Miles, and had just left home to start the trip. Well I told him I would not leave the park with that setup. I had a GM with 6 of 9/19" studs on the back of mine and in no way I would hook up on his trailer.

The next Morning he was gone, and I never heard of him again.

I those years the Dodge had the same size rear hubs that my 1/4 ton Ranger had. And I traded up the GM because I wanted better equipment to haul my 24ft 5th wheel.

buckeyebob

i had a 2007 sob tt and pulled it with a 2006 chevy 1/2 ton and pulled it 6500 miles to vegas and back trailer weighed around 6k loaded.very unstable weaved,5.4 3:42 in and out of passing gear on all hills long grades.it was a lease and tranny had issues twice later.buy a 3/4 ton 3:73 rear diesel if possible.my son has chevy 3/4 cc in 2008 model 3:73 and he likes it pulls 25 jayco eagle.not good on gas though.if you ever upgrade to larger tt you will be undertrucked again.good luck.buckeyebob

lwmcguir

Great! That is bad news. You engine just couldn't handle it or it was too much trailer for the truck? I only ask because we were also negotiating a new 08' F150 pu with the 5.4 engine. Would that one work?

If you are only going to tow a few miles each season, the 5.4 will do fine. If you are going down the road get the 3/4 ton and Diesel if you are looking at several thousand miles a year. If you are going to tow short distances the Diesel is going to cost you a lot for a little comfort. The newer F150's can definitely safely tow 5500 pound campers. Just be sure the hitch/brakes are all correct and working well on the Camper.

We tow a 2009 21FBS with a E-250 w/ 4.6 v8 and 4:10 rear (12,000 GCWR/ 6,600 trailer weight)
It does ok if there is no head wind and no hills. I don't think I would tow cross country with it !
We stay close to home and don't get in a hurry. I have to have the van for work and plan to trade for a 2011 van if FORD puts the new 6.2 gasser in the vans.
Can't get a van with diesel except for a cut-away model. I don't think I would be comfortable towing a 31" anything with a 1/2 ton truck. thats just me.
RV Dealers will tell you anything to make a sale. BIGGER is BETTER on TV's

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We pulled a 25' 5th wheel with a 1500 Dodge Hemi truck and quickly traded. It wasn't the engine that was problem, it was the transmission. It kept shifting in and out of overdrive even in tow/haul. Now we are in our 3rd truck as you can see below.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We towed our North Trail 28BHS with our old TV, a 2004 F250, 5.4 Auto and 4:10 gears. Towed great! You could feel the trailer behind when we were in the mountains but I expected that. Off the mountains it was a dream. The 4:10 gears helped alot. The 3/4 ton handled really well, no sway. Off the mountains, the 5.4 had plenty of power, handled the 5000-6000lb. trailer without a problem. Good Luck