North Trail 33 buds towing

shevy

We just bought a 39' north trail 33 buds but it seems like my chevy silverado 1500 with a towing package really struggles. Do I not have enough truck to pull this rig safely?

jimtoo

Hi shevy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Be sure and join our Heartland Owners Club, it’s free now. Then join us at a rally when you can meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.
Jim M

Thread moved to better area.

shevy

thanks. what does it mean at the bottom of your reply that you moved the thread to a better area?

jimtoo

Sometimes we move threads to a more general area related to the subject you are asking about. More folks will see it and you will probably get more answers or help that way. Most of the subjects about an rv are almost the same and the same product is being used in most of the units.

Jim M

danemayer

We just bought a 39' north trail 33 buds but it seems like my chevy silverado 1500 with a towing package really struggles. Do I not have enough truck to pull this rig safely?

The GVWR of the trailer is about 9,600 lbs. Most people are close to the GVWR when they load up. A 1500 truck, depending on year and how it's configured, could be straining to pull that much weight.

justafordguy

What's the gvwr on that North Trail? Also what is the year and rating on your 1500? At almost 40' long I bet it's to much for a 1/2 ton truck depending on how it was optioned from the factory.

shevy

What's the gvwr on that North Trail? Also what is the year and rating on your 1500? At almost 40' long I bet it's to much for a 1/2 ton truck depending on how it was optioned from the factory.

9,600 for the trailer and right at 10k for my 2014 Silverado.

klp605

We have a 1/2 ton and looked at the North Trail 33BUDS and Mallard M33. After speaking with other owners and really diving into all the towing calculations (mama here with a motto of Safety First), realized with the 33 we needed to upgrade my truck.

Can anyone on the forum help with the towing calculation site? I know there is a good site out there for calculation of towing, taking in ALL calculations between the tow vehicle and camper.

NH-Duck

9,600 for the trailer and right at 10k for my 2014 Silverado.

When I bought my M33 (same weight) I towed it about 100 miles home from the dealership with my 2011 Silverdao 1500. That was enough for me to realize that while I was not exceeding my tow capacity it was too much trailer for that vehicle. That was without any gear in the trailer or truck. Bottom line for me is I did not feel this was a safe setup especially at highway speeds so I upgraded to a 2500. Every time I hookup the trailer I am glad I did.

Enjoy the new trailer!

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I pulled a 2010 North trail 31BDSS with my 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 extended cab. The 31BDSS was lighter and relatively easy to pull with my chevy. I upgraded to a 2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD which made the 31BDSS really easy tow. I then upgraded my NT to a 2016 BUDS. The Buds was the same length and about 500 lbs heavier than the 31BDSS. Although both could be pulled with my 1500 Silverado, I know that the GMC 2500 would not struggle like the 1500 would have if I would have pulled the heavier 32BUDS North Trail.

The 6.0 L gas engine makes all the difference between the 1500 and the 2500. Diesel might even make sense but is certainly not necessary to pull the 32BUDS.

With my 2500 I am near my GCWR but still have plenty of power for most areas that I tow my 32BUDS.

I would not recommend towing anything frequently if your close to max capacity with a 1500 5.3L gas engine truck.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Www.Rvtowcheck.com has a great little app if you have an iPhone or Android phone. Well worth the price, with a calculator that helps with real world towing.

A Heartland Owner developed it. I get no money for promoting it, I just think it's a great tool for safe towing. Do not believe a salesman unless they are using this app!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shevy

Sounds like you will be right at or over your GCWR, You better take it to a scale, loaded for camping, and see what the whole rig really weighs.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I didn't want to chance it given this is our first rig so upgraded to the 2018 2500 HD diesel.

Truck with North Trail.jpg

shevy

was looking for an existing forum on this topic but couldn't find one. our new 33 buds is winterized but looking for info on how to flush out the antifreeze and ensure all faucets and shower works . can someone point me to where I can find this step by step info?

danemayer

was looking for an existing forum on this topic but couldn't find one. our new 33 buds is winterized but looking for info on how to flush out the antifreeze and ensure all faucets and shower works . can someone point me to where I can find this step by step info?
Our owner-written Winterization Guide includes instructions on de-winterizing.

shevy

thx for the prompt reply. some things I've read indicate using a small amount of bleach to sanitize the lines and tanks. Do you recommend this?