New TV for an Edge M18

dq72

Hi all,
For the past 8 years I've been towing my 2011 Heartland Edge M18 with a 2010 VW Touareg V6 3.0 TDI. (200HP/400FP). That's the only vehicle I've used and its been a dream. Due to the diesel scandal, reliability issues and my optional buy-back I'm likely going to take the offer and move on.
I've never towed with an actual truck so I'm looking for some advice from the group.

I'm looking for something used with warranty (like a 2016 hopefully), that will pull my Heartland Edge M18 TT (3500pds) safely and as easily as I felt with my VW SUV. And, since I drive it 30 KM or so for work everyday, something reliable and won't break the bank with fuel economy.

I like the idea of the midsize Gm/Chevy, such as this one currently for sale here https://www.vwvictoria.ca/used/Chev...Colorado-69d607440a0e0ae85433d567e8c250d1.htm . My concern is that because its over 1000 pounds lighter than my Touareg, its going to feel horrible towing.
In this same class I love the look of the Toyota Tacoma, but it might be too small??

I also like the Ram 1500 ecodiesel (on paper) and like this one currently for sale http://www.suburbanmotors.com/pre-owned/ram/1500/2016-gray-slt-5380696.html However, am I going to run into the same type of diesel emissions related reliability issues like I had in my VW diesel??

Or should I stick with a gas Ford or Chevy half ton??
I guess like many others, I'm stuck in the shopping dilemma looking for a good reliable everyday driver, that's not too hard on fuel, and will safely pull our 3500pound trailer around the island.

kf5qby

The Ford F150 ecoboost would be a good option and good fuel economy. It has a turbo charged v-6 gas engine.

If you ever plan on upsizing your trailer you might consider a truck with better towing capacity.

Kinguni

The Ford F150 ecoboost would be a good option and good fuel economy. It has a turbo charged v-6 gas engine.

If you ever plan on upsizing your trailer you might consider a truck with better towing capacity.
I agree with that. If you can find a 15 or 16 with the 2.7L engine then great fuel economy and the ability to tow something much larger than what you have now.

That said, I don't think you have issues pulling that TT with a Chevy Colorado if it's properly equipped.

justafordguy

X3, Get a newer F150 with the 2.7 Ecoboost and a tow package. You would then have plenty of power (even if you got a bit larger Trailer) and great gas mileage as a daily driver.

JSchneib

I had an Ecodiesel and towed my 6500# Heartland TT with it. It towed decently keeping in mind it's limitations with that kind of load. I would think that it would tow your 3500# trailer very well and they are nice drivers too when not towing. It is my understanding that, while still in process, the emissions scandal with them is mostly handled.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk