Towing Cyclone 3210 for first time with Duramax Silverado 2500HD

TD2

Hello All, am very excited to hook up our 3210 for the first trip but really want to do the homework. I'm going to pull it with my Silverado 2500HD c/w Duramax (shortbox) as it has proven itself as a workhorse with our gooseneck dump trailer - it will pull a lot more than the trailer can dump (that was fun....).

I've got a B&W turnover ball system for the gooseneck trailer. I want to use the same receiver for the B&W COMPANION 5th wheel hitch, but need to know if I'm going to need to spend the dough on a slider or not (cause it's a shortbox).

I see there's some pretty sharp cookies in this forum (bribe :D). Can anyone enlighten me?

TD2

jimtoo

Hi TD2,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Be sure and join our Heartland Owners Club, it’s free now. Then join us at a rally when you can meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.
Jim M

CoveredWagon

Hello All, am very excited to hook up our 3210 for the first trip but really want to do the homework. I'm going to pull it with my Silverado 2500HD c/w Duramax (shortbox) as it has proven itself as a workhorse with our gooseneck dump trailer - it will pull a lot more than the trailer can dump (that was fun....).

I've got a B&W turnover ball system for the gooseneck trailer. I want to use the same receiver for the B&W COMPANION 5th wheel hitch, but need to know if I'm going to need to spend the dough on a slider or not (cause it's a shortbox).

I see there's some pretty sharp cookies in this forum (bribe :D). Can anyone enlighten me?

TD2

Take a look at the Andersen Ultimate hitch

TD2

I will definitely look into the Anderson, looks slick enough. Does it pivot well because of the ball? I may get into some uneven terrain - plan to hit some back country.....

TD2

CoveredWagon

I will definitely look into the Anderson, looks slick enough. Does it pivot well because of the ball? I may get into some uneven terrain - plan to hit some back country.....

TD2

l’m guessing better than a standard 5th wheel hitch. Best thing to do is call Andersen and talk to them. They are very responsive, friendly and helpful.

porthole

Retired

TD2

Keep in mind with your Cyclone, and people telling you you do not need a anything special with a short box. Those decals on the front boasting 88 degree turns are pulling forward on flat ground.

On most forward travel you probably will be ok with any flat level turning you may do.

On anything less then level ground you will start to decrease your turning ability, AND keep in mind, your Cyclone is 5 inches wider then regular 5th wheels. So side to center distance is 2.5" wider. Doesn't sound like much until the rear window breaks.

Backing, because you can make a tighter turn then pulling forward starts to be a concern. Add an uphill entry and you really decrease your clearance.

That said, when we got our Cyclone we had a Sierra 2500 D-Max with a short bed. I bought a Pullrite Superglide hitch for the truck. It is an auto slide hitch that allows 13 or so inches of rearward travel as the trailer turns, automatically, no user input required.

Last edited:

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Keep in mind with your Cyclone, and people telling you you do not need a anything special with a short box.

That said, when we got our Cyclone we had a Sierra 2500 D-Max with a short bed. I bought a Pullrite Superglide hitch for the truck. It is an auto slide hitch that allows13 or so inches of rearward travel as the trailer turns, automatically, no user input required.

We have had the Superglide from day 1 about 5 yrs ago. Have I needed it? Probably especially backing in some sites from a narrow street.
Like Porthole says...
Also adds peace of mind, one less thing to consider in a tight turn situation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

Depending upon how you configure the Andersen you have more than enough room to make a 90+. I have a short bed and in one configuration can jackknife it and not touch.

TD2

Thanks for the feedback, I did a little investigating and I like the Andersen as I'll be taking it out/off a lot when I haul the dump trailer. Did you need to augment suspension to your Silverado? Ours as the Z71 package an I was hoping we could avoid that.

TD2

esscobra

2016 and now 2018 2500 4wd 2500 - 2017 3760el - in just under a year and lots of parks not needed slider yet- I am very careful though- also have b&W turnover and companion

porthole

Retired
Thanks for the feedback, I did a little investigating and I like the Andersen as I'll be taking it out/off a lot when I haul the dump trailer. Did you need to augment suspension to your Silverado? Ours as the Z71 package an I was hoping we could avoid that.

TD2

I added Airlift air bags to level my GMC 2500HD

- - - Updated - - -

2016 and now 2018 2500 4wd 2500 - 2017 3760el - in just under a year and lots of parks not needed slider yet- I am very careful though- also have b&W turnover and companion

Toy haulers require extra vigilance.

CoveredWagon

TD2

Z71 doesn’t get any more spring, just better shocks and skid plates and different stickers. I installed Air Lift on my truck. The trailer does put the rear suspension into the helper/overload springs. I add enough air to raise the rear just off the overloads by maybe 1/2 inch.

Lynn1130

I have the Z71 package and Airlift 5000 with remote. It helps keep the load leveled. I have never needed a slider even before the Andersen. A waste of money in my books. "I have it just in case" is nice but so is the third rip-cord. If you used up two it is too late :) I never came close with the hitches I had before the Andersen. You need to pay attention to what you are doing when backing. There are a number of things to be watching and SLOW is the word. Stop, look at where you are at and the trailer/truck configuration and then move on, SLOWLY.

TD2

I have a path forward, appreciate greatly your comments and perspective so I can avoid doing as much wrong ($$$$) as possible. I'll be back as soon as my next issue can use some experienced guidance.

Thanks!

TD2

bwdt

My truck is a long bed and I'm picking up my new trailer in a month. I'm seriously looking at a Reese Goose Box. I talked to Lippert and they don't recommend the Anderson, don't know why but they really wanted me to stay away from it.......

My original pics were a Demco and Anderson, both of these because of weight, then I heard about the Goose Box and talked to Reese and Lippert. Reese said that the talk to people every day about them and that they sell a lot of them. Lippert said that there would be no Warranty issues using the Goose Box. I do realize it is expensive, but I figured that my back is worth it. ;)

CoveredWagon

My truck is a long bed and I'm picking up my new trailer in a month. I'm seriously looking at a Reese Goose Box. I talked to Lippert and they don't recommend the Anderson, don't know why but they really wanted me to stay away from it........ ;)

I can’t remember where I hear it, and don’t quote me, but I think I heard that Lippert had an interest with some hitch or pinbox of some other brand. Have you called Andersen and discussed this with them. Personally I’d never trust one source.
Good luck and I hope whatever you do turns out to be the best.

bwdt

I can’t remember where I hear it, and don’t quote me, but I think I heard that Lippert had an interest with some hitch or pinbox of some other brand. Have you called Andersen and discussed this with them. Personally I’d never trust one source.
Good luck and I hope whatever you do turns out to be the best.

I read the same info, and Reese flatly denied this rumor, and so did Lippert. Maybe they had some kind of an agreement, but I don't know what it is.

Could it be because it is not Lippert? Chevy dealers don't recommend Fords either.

I don't know the reason, but they said they just don't like any kind of adapters on their goosenecks.

CoveredWagon

I don't know the reason, but they said they just don't like any kind of adapters on their goosenecks.

what about all the different pinboxes that aren’t Lippert. �� I’ll say it again ask Andersen what they have to say about it. And if you haven’t visit there web site. Not saying what to buy, that’s your choice.
Oh and BTW. I wouldn’t buy aFord. LOLOLOLOL