F250/Towing 3160 Elite

paulcoco

New to the whole forum and 5th wheeling! So sorry if there is already a thread going.....
Thinking of buying a 2017 Bighorn 3160 Elite, using a 2017 F250 SD, 6.7L power stroke, rear end is 3.73, is that enough truck?
Thanks in advance!
Paul.

danemayer

Hi paulcoco,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

A BH 3160 EL has a GVWR of 15,500 lbs. The F250 probably has enough horizontal pulling power, but it might come up short on payload. For planning purposes, you should assume 20% of the GVWR will rest on the hitch, or about 3,100 lbs. Add to that the weight of the hitch, bed liner, bed cover, tools, firewood, pets and passengers. You could need around 4,000 lbs. of payload capacity.

The truck should have a label inside the driver's door showing payload capacity. If less than 4,000 lbs., you should look into getting an F350.

You can get more information from Fifth Wheel St.

esscobra

depends on how you feel about the weights and being over- this past weekend saw several new landmarks and and 42 ft toyhauler going on f250's - that is a bit too much over for me - I have a 207 3760el an towed it a16 and now 18 chevy 2500 - with airbags - without any issues or feeling that i don't have enough truck - as far a single rear wheel trucks- the only differences are the springs- the frames, rear axle, etc are the same- so the airbags make up for difference in springs- I run between 35-40psi and truck runs level and rides good- am I at max of truck-yes- would I tow a landmark with a 3/4- no - but there are many who do without issues- its ultimately your decision- but the 25 should be more than capable

Oregon_Camper

We had a F-350 SRW and I could feel our 3160EL pushing the truck around corners.

Moved to a DRW F-350 and have NEVER once felt that uneasy feeling again.

paulcoco

We had a F-350 SRW and I could feel our 3160EL pushing the truck around corners.

Moved to a DRW F-350 and have NEVER once felt that uneasy feeling again.

Thanks for the info, I'm thinking F350 now, DRW considering!

- - - Updated - - -

depends on how you feel about the weights and being over- this past weekend saw several new landmarks and and 42 ft toyhauler going on f250's - that is a bit too much over for me - I have a 207 3760el an towed it a16 and now 18 chevy 2500 - with airbags - without any issues or feeling that i don't have enough truck - as far a single rear wheel trucks- the only differences are the springs- the frames, rear axle, etc are the same- so the airbags make up for difference in springs- I run between 35-40psi and truck runs level and rides good- am I at max of truck-yes- would I tow a landmark with a 3/4- no - but there are many who do without issues- its ultimately your decision- but the 25 should be more than capable

Thank you, I'm thinking of a F350, maybe DRW, I would rather have more truck than less I guess! Happy travels

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I never understand the point of this reasoning that an 3/4 ton and a 1 ton are not different except for springs as a reason to get a 3/4 ton. Telling folks that airbags increase the capacity of their vehicle is not giving anyone good information either.

How many of you saw this on FB???
That SD is over load specifications before one item is loaded in the CY...

https://www.facebook.com/TSRVS/videos/905802402914086/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk