Jerking when I start from a stop

I am new to the fifth wheel world. I have a stock 2015 f 250 diesel with a 2018 Heartland Landmark 3712 CK. I'm using a Demco Autoslider 18K unit. The problem I'm having is when I start driving while straightening out from a turn I get a bad jerk. I've tried slowing down on the gas pedal when I start going while in the turn to lessen it and it seems to help some. Everything seems to ride smoothly once I get going down the road. Not sure if going to a Moryde pinbox would help or not. Looking for any help before we go nuts with this jerking problem. Matt

danemayer

Hi Eastongang,

It might be that your truck is overloaded, but it's hard to tell. I've never heard of a Landmark 3712 CK. That sounds like a Cyclone toy hauler model number. But if so, perhaps it's not a 2018 model.

Could you update us on what trailer you have. Also, if you can take a look at the plaque on the front, off-door-side near the pinbox, it shows the GVWR. What is your trailer's GVWR?

LBR

I am new to the fifth wheel world. I have a stock 2015 f 250 diesel with a 2018 Heartland Landmark 3712 CK. I'm using a Demco Autoslider 18K unit. The problem I'm having is when I start driving while straightening out from a turn I get a bad jerk. I've tried slowing down on the gas pedal when I start going while in the turn to lessen it and it seems to help some. Everything seems to ride smoothly once I get going down the road. Not sure if going to a Moryde pinbox would help or not. Looking for any help before we go nuts with this jerking problem. Matt
Are you sure it isnt a Gateway instead of a Landmark?

I have the same hitch and tow a 2014 Landmark with the Moryde pin box. I find the hitch superior to my previous hitches with no noise or jerking during turns. Demco does recommend the top inspection plates be removed and grease be applied to the gearing. Perhaps the dry gear teeth are binding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNOKING

I believe that may be the hitch that many have had problems with. Contact the hitch manufacturer to learn what to look at in the slide mechanism.

Video on service bulletin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYmT3WPiBZQ

https://www.demco-products.com/serv...ing-products5/18k-autoslide-5th-wheel-hitches

Chris

Grey Ghost

I had a simalar problem and found that my brake control was set to strong, once I back it off a bit I had no further problems. Not saying that is your problem, but might be worth a try! Easy cheap fix to my problem!!

I was wrong on the model. It's a 2018 Gateway 3713 CK, 15,500 GVWR. Truck is a 2015 F250 6.7 diesel with a front end leveling kit on it. The factory brake controller is set 4.5 which is what the dealer/hitch installer told me set it at. I think I may need to do a something with the rear end also as it squats several inches and sends my lights upward into everyone I pass. I talked to the dealer of both the camper and hitch and they're going to check out the issue for me to see if it needs adjusted some as they agreed it shouldn't be happening. I have noticed differences in the direction of the plate that the pin box sets on isn't always turned exactly the same as when I had hooked up originally. Kind of like they don't turn together correctly or one is sliding around on the other while driving. Thank you for all of your help and responses so far on this matter, Matt & Tammy Easton

danemayer

I was wrong on the model. It's a 2018 Gateway 3713 CK, 15,500 GVWR. Truck is a 2015 F250 6.7 diesel with a front end leveling kit on it. The factory brake controller is set 4.5 which is what the dealer/hitch installer told me set it at. I think I may need to do a something with the rear end also as it squats several inches and sends my lights upward into everyone I pass. I talked to the dealer of both the camper and hitch and they're going to check out the issue for me to see if it needs adjusted some as they agreed it shouldn't be happening. I have noticed differences in the direction of the plate that the pin box sets on isn't always turned exactly the same as when I had hooked up originally. Kind of like they don't turn together correctly or one is sliding around on the other while driving. Thank you for all of your help and responses so far on this matter, Matt & Tammy Easton

Until you have actual weights with the truck and trailer loaded the way you would actually use the trailer, you should plan on pin weight of about 20% of the trailer GVWR. So that would be 3,100 lbs. Add to that the weight of the hitch, bed liner, bed cover, tools, firewood, pets, and passengers, along with anything else in the truck. You could easily have 4,000 lbs sitting on the rear axle of the truck. F250s don't typically have a payload rating that high which is no doubt why the rear end squats. The truck is out of balance and may not handle properly in bad weather emergencies. You could level it with airbags, but that doesn't fix the weight and balance problem. A lot of people tow this much weight with F250s, but that doesn't make it safe.

With the truck squatting, the hitch might not be in an optimum orientation. But it sounds like you might also have a problem with how the hitch is holding the pin.

Are you sure it isnt a Gateway instead of a Landmark?

Yes it's a Gateway. We were told from the dealer it's a newer model. Here it is the day we picked it up and my truck. I have been strongly thinking about getting the Moryde pin box set up for the trailer. IMG_0906.jpg

I assume you do have the locking adapter plate that installs on the pin box that locks the pin from turning in the hitch. It will have about a 1/2” thick steel wedge that sets behind the pin. Your comment about hitch head not being in the same position made me wonder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gary521

There is a procedure for setting the controller properly and that procedure is NOT what the dealer tells you. I would think that the controller needs to set a bit higher as it sounds like the trailer is pushing against the hitch and when you accelerate a bit you get the clunk. Do you have a plastic slip plate attached to the pin box?

If the trailer is pushing the bed down and the lights up, you may need inflatable air bags on the truck to level the truck out. I have no idea what a front end leveling kit is or does.

- - - Updated - - -

There is a procedure for setting the controller properly and that procedure is NOT what the dealer tells you. I would think that the controller needs to set a bit higher as it sounds like the trailer is pushing against the hitch and when you accelerate a bit you get the clunk. Do you have a plastic slip plate attached to the pin box?

If the trailer is pushing the bed down and the lights up, you may need inflatable air bags on the truck to level the truck out. I have no idea what a front end leveling kit is or does.

CoveredWagon

The front end leveling kit is probably part of a snowplow option package.

I assume you do have the locking adapter plate that installs on the pin box that locks the pin from turning in the hitch. It will have about a 1/2” thick steel wedge that sets behind the pin. Your comment about hitch head not being in the same position made me wonder.

I'm not sure about that one. I have exactly what my dealer told me I had to have and they're a Demco dealer. I'l have to ask on that one.

There's nothing attached to the pin box. The leveling kit lifts the front end of the truck to give it a level look instead of having the front sit lower than the rear.

- - - Updated - - -

Unlike all other fifth wheel hitches, auto slide hitches are mechanically driven by the hitch head turning with the pin box. This is achieved by an adapter that is required to be used with the hitch. The adapter has a wedge that slides into the pin slot on the head to keep the pin from turning freely in the head. When the TV turns on the pin box the hitch head turns and that operates the gearing below the hitch to drive the hitch towards the rear of the truck. If your plate around the pin is smooth then you don’t have the correct parts to make your hitch operate properly.

I see Demco also uses a clamp that fits against the pin box. This would be used in lieu of the capture plate.

SNOKING

Did you check the hitches serial number against the info in post #6 that i made earlier? Chris

porthole

Retired

How about - a picture of the Demco hitch showing the upper part of the hitch and a picture of your MOR/ryde pinbox, showing the lower portion of the pinbox.

Who installed your MOR/ryde pinbox?

The MOR/ryde pinbox requires blocks to be installed when the pin box is used with sliding type hitches. The blocks lock the hitch from moving from side to side.

Also with a MOR/ryde pinbox and a sliding type hitch like yours (or the Pullrite Superglide), you may need to move up in the the rubber spring rating (AKA durometer). The action of those hitches when going from straight to rotating can add additional stress that the standard pinbox spring may not be up to the task of dampening.