Importing from USA

Just in the process of importing a Landmark from USA and thought I'd share my experiences with the group.
So here it goes!

We went to Elkart with two rigs in mind; the 36 foot Select Suites by Doubletree and the Landmark by Heartland. We did our due diligence and visited both factories courtesy of the dealers we contacted and decided on the Landmark (from Great Lakes RV.....Rob is a pretty good guy there)
Signed all the docs and went through the preinspection...orientation etc and started home.
As opposed to the importation of a motorized vehicle ( I bought my Ford F250 Lariat in Texas and imported that as well), the American Customs guys didn't even want to see the documentation.
On the Canadian side they wanted their pound of flesh and collected the 5% GST. On further inspection they wanted the 5% on the extended warranty as well @#&*@#!/
Anyway, they give you a pamphlet that says "When you cross the border"
and it indicates that you will receive a letter from RIV (Registrar of Imported Vehicles) within 100 days......NOT SO.....you must pay the fee...about $204 to get form 2. They "facilitate" this at the border crossing (ya sure) but you have to pay this, payable in many ways, the most convenient is online (riv.ca) and then they send the form to you.
Take this form to the licensing bureau and then pay the PST and get your tag.
Hope this is helpful to anyone thinking of importing.....we believe we saved a lot of $$$$, I know we saved over $20k on the truck for sure.

Happy Motoring
Bob

Last edited:

bigredtruck

Our Cyclone 3210 is our third trailer from the US and we find it such an easy process. Remember that you would have paid the GST if you had bought it in Canada too. Our 'finance' company insisted on hiring a broker to do the paperwork. Of course, when we got to the border, they had never heard of us. Took about 10 minutes to do it ourselves.
Even with the 4600 mile drive to Michigan and back, we saved at least $15K. Pretty easy to justify!!

OK
So I paid the RIV fee on line by credit card, and overnight they emailed me the FORM 2. (RIV fee=$204)
Took form 2 to Canadian Tire and the technician took about 3.5 minutes to apporve the form...pretty good hourly rate.
He verified the conformance to USA standards which was a tag on the left front of the 5th wheel, wrote down the tire type (trailer), the axel weight rating and looked at the rear reflectors.
I have been told that we will need a CSA approval for the electrical system but am not sure. We will find out on Monday when we attempt to licence at the local shop.
More to come
Bob

chip

Bob & Jenifer we also bought our 5th wheel from great lakes. I agree Rob was great. Since it was my first 5th wheel he gave me a lesson in reversing on the local store parking lot and also showed us how to attach and remove the trailer (several times until we got it right).
I to saved about 18 thousand. I had them fax through to the border the paperwork, so when we got there the prescribed three days later it took 5 minutes to export the vehicle. At the Canadian side they just wanted the three documents (bill of sale, Title and the notification of no defect's from the manufacturer). At the border they wanted the GST on the Canadian funds spent. and a payment of $75 for form 1. I recieved that in about 10 days. Did the inspection at our local Canadian Tire, took about 10 minutes, then they faxed off the form 1 to the ministry. We got our CSA approved sticker in the mail about 3 weeks after that. Then it was a trip to the local licence office to get plates and ownership paperwork, plus pay the PST again on the canadian equivelent payed. All in all a pretty simple exercise to go thru. Would reccomend great lakes and Rob to anybody.

Just got the licence today at the local bureau.
There is a descepancy with my story as opposed to yours Chip.
The american border guys didn't need to do anything as the unit is not motorized.
Therefore there is no need to fax 3 days ahead. This is only for trucks and cars, which I did in March.
The savings is about right.
We start our jouney in about a month
None

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
I have also importer our Big Horn from USA. And to those who have not done it. Take note the GST is based on the price so you end up paying less GST then if you purchased in Canada. The only hassle is dealer service after the fact.
Regards
Wayne

chip

Good luck enjoy your holiday. Our first trip was down to Florida via I75. Crossed at Detiot. I will not do that for a couple of years. I75 is dug up, litterally 20ft deep about 1/4 mile long right at where you would turn off to get back into Canada. Going south was a little bit easier (didnt see the road works), but still had to go thru the mexican quarter of Detoit, almost down town driving. Crossed back over at Port Huron but finished up having to go thru downtown Detriot because of no I75, just keep away from Detroit for a few years. At 54 foot long and a novice driver the nerves were on edge to say the least.

Amen Chip....avoid that area like the plague.
Brought my truck back that way in March...never again.

Just as a final note, got the sticker from RIV Friday...apparently no need for CSA approval...

Anyone have any questions..PM me or answer in this thread......it really is easy and you can save a lot on a new unit...I am not familiar with resale units so I can not speak to that....maybe someone else has some experience there.
Rgards,

bigredtruck

Amen Chip....avoid that area like the plague.
Brought my truck back that way in March...never again.

Just as a final note, got the sticker from RIV Friday...apparently no need for CSA approval...

Anyone have any questions..PM me or answer in this thread......it really is easy and you can save a lot on a new unit...I am not familiar with resale units so I can not speak to that....maybe someone else has some experience there.
Rgards,

It's just as easy with a resale unit. DH drove to Buffalo in 2006 to pick up the unit we bought on eBay. was in the state of NY for sbout an hour just getting a permit from the DMV. CBSA checked the unit for firearms and that was about it. They will ask lots of questions about how you found the unit - sometimes they will check on line to make sure you haven't 'fudged' the price or bill of sale.
In all, a super easy process and according to our local Canadian Tire, getting more popular all the time.

Cirrus

My experience was very similar, and for anyone thinking about doing it, just go for it!
The border was very easy and fast, (no need to go to US Customs first...this is for motorized vehicles ONLY). After RIV sends you back your form 2, we went to a local RV inspection facility (which is on the list provided by RIV) and the man was finished after 5 minutes. Took RV to our local ICBC office, so they could check the VIN, and 10 minutes later it was licensed and insured. This only took about 3 days after crossing the border.
The whole process was straightforward and we saved some serious $$$.:)

jaubry

jaubry
Csa

Hi All,

Check with your insurance companies head office on the CSA or non CSA.

When you import a rig from the USA and after you get through the RIV forms you do need to get a hydro test done. You can contact your local hydro co. You will also need to get a TSSA test on the propane done at any RV dealer.

It's not a problem until you have an insurance claim. For what ever reason, if it's not CSA or you did not get a hydro and propane tags, then the insurance companies have the right to refuse your claim. (experience speaking here)

Another thing to think about when it comes to CSA, often time the CSA parts to assemble an RV are different than American. An Transport Canada agent recently told me things like U-bolts steel grade is different on the US bolt than Canadian. Crossroads U-Bolt have to be changed on their axles. Dutchmen uses different gauge of 12 volts wiring. Some of the microwaves are not admissible into Canada.

Just some hidden facts that come up later on.
JY

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
JY
What if you order a trailer in US with the CSA sticker it is on the option list. Is that acceptable?
Thanks
Wayne

jaubry

jaubry
According to Manufacture/Dealer agreements, US dealers are not allowed to order the CSA option. This keeps it "fair" for the Canadian dealers. Who knows if they adhere to this or not.