DRW tire questions

llalsbury

Arizona Chapter Leaders - retired
I am hoping someone in the forum will have the answer or an opinion to these questions about my 2015 (new to me) Ram 3500 dually.

I am sure that you are all familiar with the issue of checking tire inflation and topping off the air pressure in the DRW tires. I have looked at a couple of possible solutions: a new inflator or various valve stem extenders. The cost of a new inflator w/gauge is fairly steep. I asked a tire dealer about extenders. They said that the extenders tend to leak and cause tire failure. They won’t sell them!

Now I have read in the forum that the 2015 Ram 3500 did not come with a TPMS. On my driver information center (in the instrument cluster) I found a TPMS screen with 6 pressure readings. The 3500 owners manual has a section on the DRW TPMS. This would lead me to believe that I do have a factory installed TPMS.

Here are my questions:

1. Are extenders a risk to use?
  2. Is there somewhere I can go internet wise to see if I do have a TPMS?
  3. If I do have a TPMS the risk of under inflation and tire failure would be minimal if I used extenders.

Feel free to move this thread to another section if need be.

RickL

I am hoping someone in the forum will have the answer or an opinion to these questions about my 2015 (new to me) Ram 3500 dually.

I am sure that you are all familiar with the issue of checking tire inflation and topping off the air pressure in the DRW tires. I have looked at a couple of possible solutions: a new inflator or various valve stem extenders. The cost of a new inflator w/gauge is fairly steep. I asked a tire dealer about extenders. They said that the extenders tend to leak and cause tire failure. They won’t sell them!

Now I have read in the forum that the 2015 Ram 3500 did not come with a TPMS. On my driver information center (in the instrument cluster) I found a TPMS screen with 6 pressure readings. The 3500 owners manual has a section on the DRW TPMS. This would lead me to believe that I do have a factory installed TPMS.

Here are my questions:

3. If I do have a TPMS the risk of under inflation and tire failure would be minimal if I used extenders.

Extenders have been used in commercial trucks for a long time with success. Just make you purchase a quality product. Usually they ate braided steel, expensive but they last. The other option is have an extra long stem installed which if the wheel are mounted correctly ( valve stems opposing each other) you can check and fill relatively easy. A good gauge (high pressure) and an angled air chuck goes a long way in helping too.

Having spent 35+ yrs in the tire business my preference is longer brass stems. I also have a 2015 Ram 3500 DRW. Unfortunately the TPMS was a delete on the build sheet. I haven’t decided if I will add a system or not. I check the tire pressures prior to towing and basically roll the dice in between checks. I do however pay attention to my tires during stops, but I don’t live or die as to the pressure.

Lastly, you probably already know this, but I always make sure I add this tidbit - make sure you check you tire pressure cold ( cold in tire terminology means tire temp is at ambient temp, which occurs after the tires have sat for an extended period (6+ hrs). Also, inflate the tires to the door placard recommendation NOT what the tire states. (Or a friend or neighbor) This way you will maximize the tire mileage and ride. (As a side note - as long as you adjust the pressure back when loaded (all pressures reflect max capacity) you can lower the pressures as long as you know the individual tire position weights. Just utilize an inflation table to choose the correct air pressure)

crussian

Here are my questions:

Hi there - I have the same truck, but mine is the Tradesman (bottom of the line model). I do have TPMS but I've had issues since new. They have swapped out devices, works good for a while, but then goes back indicating low pressure. The truck also came with extenders. I did have leaking issues and the tire guy told me that extenders tend to lead from time to time. I had the extended removed and now have a constant tire pressure.

I am also adding the device that allows me to check tire pressure from outside the rims.

Hope this helped.

C&J

B

Boatman

We too have a 3500 DRW and using extenders did cost us a tire as a result of leaking. I purchased and had installed, new longer stems and it solved my problems. RickL has some excellent points about checking pressures. In addition, I carry a IR temp gauge and check tire temps at each stop, and also the hub temps. I am not really concerned what the temps are, but are they all reasonably close. High temp indicates an potential problem. Tire and bearing failures can become very expensive, so we watch them very closely. Good luck on all your future travels.

Kathi-27

We have tst flo throw tpms on 2006 drw and bighorn 5th wheel. Have extenders on inside rear wheels with steel valve stems have had no problems for over a year and 7000 miles.no leaks

llalsbury

Extenders have been used in commercial trucks for a long time with success. Just make you purchase a quality product. Usually they ate braided steel, expensive but they last. The other option is have an extra long stem installed which if the wheel are mounted correctly ( valve stems opposing each other) you can check and fill relatively easy. A good gauge (high pressure) and an angled air chuck goes a long way in helping too.

Having spent 35+ yrs in the tire business my preference is longer brass stems. I also have a 2015 Ram 3500 DRW. Unfortunately the TPMS was a delete on the build sheet. I haven’t decided if I will add a system or not. I check the tire pressures prior to towing and basically roll the dice in between checks. I do however pay attention to my tires during stops, but I don’t live or die as to the pressure.

Lastly, you probably already know this, but I always make sure I add this tidbit - make sure you check you tire pressure cold ( cold in tire terminology means tire temp is at ambient temp, which occurs after the tires have sat for an extended period (6+ hrs). Also, inflate the tires to the door placard recommendation NOT what the tire states. (Or a friend or neighbor) This way you will maximize the tire mileage and ride. (As a side note - as long as you adjust the pressure back when loaded (all pressures reflect max capacity) you can lower the pressures as long as you know the individual tire position weights. Just utilize an inflation table to choose the correct air pressure)

All good info thanks. I do watch my tires - caught a failure on my BH before disaster. I will have longer valve stems installed down the road. I feel each tire at every stop for temp. I will need to replace my chuck and gauge with a combination straight/angle head. I found the build sheet on the Mopar website and TPMS shows a delete on my truck.

TedS

To find out if you have a pressure monitoring system, let air out of one tire to see it the system alerts low pressure.

llalsbury

Hi there - I have the same truck, but mine is the Tradesman (bottom of the line model). I do have TPMS but I've had issues since new. They have swapped out devices, works good for a while, but then goes back indicating low pressure. The truck also came with extenders. I did have leaking issues and the tire guy told me that extenders tend to lead from time to time. I had the extended removed and now have a constant tire pressure.

I am also adding the device that allows me to check tire pressure from outside the rims.

Hope this helped.

C&J

Mine is a Tradesman as well. Found a build list on Mopar website for my VIN, shows delete for TPMS. Can't figure out why the driver info center shows tire press. for 6 tires. most read low. will have to try to deflate one and see what happens. for now I will check all my tires at every stop we make.

Thanks for your input - safe travels.

- - - Updated - - -

We too have a 3500 DRW and using extenders did cost us a tire as a result of leaking. I purchased and had installed, new longer stems and it solved my problems. RickL has some excellent points about checking pressures. In addition, I carry a IR temp gauge and check tire temps at each stop, and also the hub temps. I am not really concerned what the temps are, but are they all reasonably close. High temp indicates an potential problem. Tire and bearing failures can become very expensive, so we watch them very closely. Good luck on all your future travels.

Thanks for your input. For now I will watch my tires real close, check at every stop.

Safe travels.

- - - Updated - - -

To find out if you have a pressure monitoring system, let air out of one tire to see it the system alerts low pressure.

Going to give that a try.

Thanks.

RickL

Just to clarify things - there are hose extenders ( that is what I was referring to) and extensions that screw onto the valve stems in different lengths. Most extensions are the plastic type - DO NOT UTILIZE! They do make metal ones but I’m not a big believe in them myself.

They also make what is called an equalizer. This screws onto both the inner and outer valve stem. Makes it easier to fill both tires and provides just a single point to check both tires. The downside is that if one tire gets a puncture and loses pressure, both tires lose air. This was something I never promoted, but some fleets love the idea as they “hope” thier drivers are checking the air pressure.

NYSUPstater

RickL,

You mentioned in your 1st post about going by air PSI on door jam and NOT the sidewall of tires. At what pressure is the label on door jam? Am guessing that whatever it is, is for ride comfort. Ratings on sidewalls will give one the max capacity----at the expense of a harsher ride. If you have a high pin or tongue weight and run at psi on door jam, wouldn't that be the same as running under inflated? Why does everyone seem to recommend to air up to max psi on sidewalls of truck & RV tires? Just want to know your reasoning behind your comment. Thanks.

avvidclif

The posted PSI on the door jamb is for carrying the max load posted on the door jamb. It may or may not match the tire but had better be less than the tire rating.

RickL

RickL,

You mentioned in your 1st post about going by air PSI on door jam and NOT the sidewall of tires. At what pressure is the label on door jam? Am guessing that whatever it is, is for ride comfort. Ratings on sidewalls will give one the max capacity----at the expense of a harsher ride. If you have a high pin or tongue weight and run at psi on door jam, wouldn't that be the same as running under inflated? Why does everyone seem to recommend to air up to max psi on sidewalls of truck & RV tires? Just want to know your reasoning behind your comment. Thanks.

The door jamb pressures are set by the vehicle manufacturers and the rim/tire association. It is set to provide best ride, best wear, best footprint, along with being able carry the max load load the vehicle is rated at. The tire pressure is there to indicate what the maximum carrying capacity that tire has at the molded high pressure on the tire. (As a side note I have read many posts where people say to over inflate the tire by 5 PSI (or so) so you can carry more. Regardless of the over inflation is does NOT increase the tires ability to carry more weight. Those that believe that are only working on a false premise.)

As to your point about having the tire “under inflated” with it at the stated pressure due to pin weight or load, the answer is simply this - the truck is over loaded.

Having worked for for the big 3 tire manufacturers during my career I can tell you this. I haven’t heard one of them recommend max pressure on vehicle applications. On trailer applications that is a different story however. That reason is simple also. I remember years ago (back in the 70/80’s) it was recommended to air the tires to the load. However, as a result of most people NOT knowing what thier loads are they changed thier recommendation to inflate trailer applications to the maximum molded into the sidewall.

You can trace almost all tire failures back to the lack of air pressure. If you hit something and create a leak the tire fails as a result, pickup a nail or have rock drilling that creates air migration outside the air chamber, have a valve stem leak, again lack of air with the load quickly compromises the tire ability to handle the load. Most road debris on the side of the road (hopefully and not “in the lane”) is a result of air pressure loss that starts the de-lamination process of the tire.

Class is over, no homework today, however there will be a test upcoming, :)