Tires & Rims - Our Story

Hi forum members,
Just wanted to share a story that experienced regarding our tires, rims and a warranty claim for replacement.
We purchased our Big Horn 3670RL in Sep, 2007. We love it by the way, so no issue with the coach!
This June, we attended a Heartland Rally in Branson, MO. We had our RV and Truck weighed and attended several sessions where tires became the subject of many discussions. Armed with new information, we went back to our RV that day and inspected our tires thoroughly. Mind you, we had left on March 16, 08, on a cross country trip and by the middle of June, had logged approx. 12,000 miles on the Chinese Bomb tires, Goldways. Wouldn't you know it, we spotted a bubble in one tire, the one that handles most of the weight, front kitchen side tire. Well, being we were stationary and hadn't yet blown a tire and wreaked havoc to our coach, we went straight to a local Branson tire dealer and had G rated Goodyear US made tires installed. In the process, the installer related that the rim that was on the bubbled tire, was out of round and could not be balanced. Well, 12,000 miles and we never had an accident nor major curb attack, so we figured this was the cause of the bubbled tire and needed to contact Heartland ASAP to get a new rim so we don't lose one of our brand new Goodyear tires.
Heartland referred us to Tred-It Tires to place a claim. This was done on the Monday after we left the rally. TredIt got the ball rolling and ultimately we had to send in the DOT date from our tire and pictures of the issue to Unicorn Tire Company. We accomplished that in July. We are still awaiting any approval for payment from Unicorn as of today's posting.
As to the rim replacement, each time I contacted TredIt's representative about the rim, I got no reply. I asked if Unicorn was going to take care of that claim, but I figured not since they do the tires, not necessarily the rims.
Our RV has been taken in to a dealer to complete our warranty claim repairs since our 1 year mark was approaching, even though we're on the road, no extensions on that, so we got it going. Even the dealer has talked with several folks at Heartland and TredIt and they claim that since we didn't report this rim issue until 8 months after purchasing the coach that it could have been our own fault. Of course it is. Why didn't I think of that?! :mad: Again, as I previously cited, we've never had any incidents on the road with hitting curbs or getting into any tangles and we have our own on board compressor and air guage to check tires regularly for 110PSI. The only mishap we've ever had involved scraping the side of our rig on a Kozy Cabin's extended roof line turning a tight corner, but the wheels/tires were never impacted.
So, I write this to all of you folks who are thinking of purchasing a fifth wheel, Heartland or not, to do yourselves a favor. Get your tires and rims inspected and warrantied at the get go of your purchase, or you're probably going to be SOL if anything happens to them once you drive off the lot. As I understand it, it is not common practice to balance tires before sale in the RV industry. Go figure. All that weight and not a priority. Hmmm. Sounds like trouble waiting to happen.
I also can't for the life of me figure out why all of these folks involved would rather spend more time denying a claim rather than paying for something that is not as pricey as damage to a coach, but then silly us, we're not looking to rip anyone off, just replace what we believe is a safety problem. We replaced all 4 tires by the way and were only asking for reimbursement of 1 tire and 1 rim. To date, nada.
Doesn't mean we won't keep on loving our RV and living in it on the road for a while longer, but we'll definitely take care of our safety problem on our own and hopefully provide all of you fifth wheel/Heartland owners fair warning for the future.
Happy Trails.
Christine & Jerry Molinaro
Bighorncats
Vacaville, CA :confused:

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Thank you for sharing your story. I hope everything will work out for you.

Good luck,

Mark

Big G

Big G
New Razor - 7 Miles

On July 31st I'd just picked up our new '09 Razor and drove 7 miles to a "Discount Tire" to have the tires balanced. Three (3) of the four (4) had flat spot defects and couldn't be balanced.
I know some folks don't balance trailer tires but this saved us some real trouble on our 3800 mile trip, we left the following day for Sturgis SD. By the way our dealer, Explorer USA, Kyle, TX. contacted Heartland and they have reimburised us for the new set of tires. (G rated ):)
Regards, Big G

KHinson

2008 F450 King Ranch
I was wondering if anyone who has had their RV tires balanced has had problems with the weights coming off during turns as the sidewalls flex?

I also had mine balanced when Heartland and the Axle manufacturer replaced all 6 because of the axles not being welded true, but can't seem to keep the weights on the tires. Have not yet gone to the stick on weights, but I think that may be the only course of action.

Thanks for any feedback!

Keith

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
On July 31st I'd just picked up our new '09 Razor and drove 7 miles to a "Discount Tire" to have the tires balanced. Three (3) of the four (4) had flat spot defects and couldn't be balanced.

:eek: I have no idea how that could have happened on it's 1000+ mile journey from Elkhart to the dealer ;):DNone..... Especially when people drive so courteously & carefully through the Chicago, St Louis and DFW areas on the way to Deliver in Kyle :rolleyes: kidw truck smiley.gif

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Ya mean like somebody locking up the brakes for a hundred yards or so?

Trailer tires are so soft they'll flat spot in only a few yards, a few hundred yards and you're into cord or blown tires.

I had the brakes go haywire on a trailer last winter and completely lock up for no reason while driving 65 mph without even touching the brakes or controller. By the time I got stopped on the shoulder in a cloud of smoke all 4 were down to the cord, OOPS.

Big G

Big G
Clearer Discription

pm,
I knew I should have made this crystal clear, and leave nothing to
guess. The tires had manufacture defects, not caused by the 1000
trip. I don't recall the name brand, but they were from China.:cool:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
pm,
I knew I should have made this crystal clear, and leave nothing to
guess. The tires had manufacture defects, not caused by the 1000
trip. I don't recall the name brand, but they were from China.:cool:
I don't think pm was trying to point any fingers at you BigG. It's pretty unusual for a tire to have a flat spot from the factory. I think he was trying to say it may have happened while the trailer was being transported from the factory to the dealer. I've seen what happens to trailer tires after they've locked up and it usually results in a ruined tire. I also think it's great that Heartland stepped up and did the right thing.

Big G

Big G
Ray,
Thanks, I understood PM's note, I just wanted to make the point clearer than I had the first thread.
Heartland did very well, I was leaving on vacation the following day, so they did come through for us.
I knew us old NAVY guys had a sense of humor, ex-Paratroopers do as well. ha