Slide problem

HappyKayakers

Well, we were pulling in slides getting ready to leave our summer job and heard a rather loud metallic sound when the entertainment slide started moving. We finally got the slide in but noticed that the forward edge (outside) wasn't pulled in tight against the rig. Also started poking around underneath and discovered that a tooth broke off one of the gears (see pic). Emailed Lippert yesterday to see what they have to say. Has anyone here run into the same problem? Can this be a DIY fix? Or will the slide need to be removed or raised?

Attachments

• SlideGear.JPG
    SlideGear.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 94

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Joe, I just took a closer look at our roller gears and I'm pretty sure they are an easy fix. Before you start removing anything, run the slide either in or out to relieve any pressure the gear may have against the rack. The 2 long bolts that hold the gear up against the rack gear will have to come out. That will allow the gear to be removed from the square shaft. It is held to the cross shaft with a nut & bolt. There is also a pin that may have to come out. Good luck.

Forrest Fetherolf

Joe,

Sorry to hear that. One of two things happened to cause this...........
1) debris wedged between wheel gear and rack gear
2) slide wedged causing tooth to break off

The fix should not be difficult replacing the wheel gear, no slide weight should be loading the wheel gear. I would extend the slide and jack up the outer end to take any weight off the gear when replacing. Make sure the slide is square with the frame when installing new gear allowing slide to close flush.

Forrest

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I am not sure but it is possible if there is a pin in the gear shaft you may need a gear puller. Call Lippert and their tech folks can tell you.

HappyKayakers

Good news after talking to Lippert. The assemble is still under warranty. They said 5 yrs for the hydraulic slides. Fortunately, we won't be setting up for our winter job for a few weeks so it will be relatively easy to take it in for service. We'll keep all the suggestions in mind if it happens again.