Towing BH 3670

RSIG

Will a GMC 2500 Duramax/ Allison handle a 3670? Advice please. Planning a couple of crosscountry trips and North East to Florida over the next couple of years.
Thanks

JimRohan

I think you may have some issues, but could be wrong. Not sure which Duramax engine you have as I beleive GM offeres more than one. I have a 3500HD DRW with the 6.6 and Allison transmission and handles my rig fine. My 3500 has the exhaust assist for stopping and in tow mode has no issues in stopping. In checking the GVW for you units could give you some better data.

boatdoc

I'm NOT a member of the weight police but having a 3670, I think that may be streching the limit a little on the pin weight. Lot's of us "fudge" a bit on the pin weight but that combo might have to much " nuts & marshmellows " in it.

Delaine and Lindy

I always have towed heavy and of course only with the GM Duramax/Allison. The only issue could be the Pin weight our Landmark was heavy but the total weight with the Truck was 22,160 with no water. The only other problem would be stopping. Good Luck with your choice. GBY.....

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
Right now I pull my 3670 with a 2500 Dodge Cummins. Pin weight for me is not an issue, it levels my truck and tows it just fine, but as was mentioned above the braking is the big issue. I just have to allow a little more distance when in traffic. My next truck will be a 3500 though with the exhaust brake. Good luck on your decision.
Bill

ccd001

Rsig

I have 2008 BH 3055 and was towing it with a 2007 Chev 2500HD CC
with duramax/allison I traded the 2500HD for a 2007 Chev 3500HD CC
dual rear wheels back in June. The 2500 had plenty of power but the
rear suspension seemed soft and the truck would lay over in turns.
When I towed the BH with the 3500HD I couldn't believe the difference.
The stability and braking was so much better. I think you could tow the
3670 with your 2500HD but the 3500HD is a whole lot better.
Clay Douglas
2007 Chev Silverado 3500HD CC
Duramax/Allison
2008 BH 3500

Paul & Nan

We are towing an 09 3670 with an 03 Chevy 2500HD diesiel and have not had a problem. We do have a pac brake which helps with the slowing down issue. We came through the Cumberland mountains in TN and KY with no issues. Nan and Paul

HOSS

I have the 3670rl pulled by a 2008 Chevy 3500 Dually with the Duramax/Allison combo. I looked at the 2500's but decided on the 3500. Everyone I talked to about what truck when I decided on the 3670, said go with the 3500 dually and then there will be no worry about what you are pulling. Most everyone who has a 2500 has no problem pulling these 5fers but nearly always trade up to the 3500 dually.
I just feel safer with the dually mainly because it is not only me in the truck but the family. Thats just me and my 2 cents.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We've just purchased an '09 BH 3670RL, taking possession next spring. Until then, I've been trying to decide which GM diesel to get, the 2500HD or 3500HD, with SRW, not duals. We plan to use the BH more as a summer cottage rather than full time. We're not planning on doing cross-country trips, mainly keep it at a campground 200 miles from here in northern Michigan that has seasonal sites and winter storage. From what I gather from this thread, the 2500HD should be just fine to get it there and be able to move it when I need/want to. For my usage, I'm thinking the 3500HD would be more truck than I'll normally use. We had a 27' travel trailer, pulled by an '02 Avalanche, up there, but decided to go for more space. Looking for pros/cons, comments.

azbound

We've just purchased an '09 BH 3670RL, taking possession next spring. Until then, I've been trying to decide which GM diesel to get, the 2500HD or 3500HD, with SRW, not duals. We plan to use the BH more as a summer cottage rather than full time. We're not planning on doing cross-country trips, mainly keep it at a campground 200 miles from here in northern Michigan that has seasonal sites and winter storage. From what I gather from this thread, the 2500HD should be just fine to get it there and be able to move it when I need/want to. For my usage, I'm thinking the 3500HD would be more truck than I'll normally use. We had a 27' travel trailer, pulled by an '02 Avalanche, up there, but decided to go for more space. Looking for pros/cons, comments.

The difference in cost between a 2500 and 3500 SRW is minimal, if it were me I would go with the 3500HD SRW. The DRW is till the best way to go but if you are totally set on an SRW you should really go with the 3500.

Good Luck

JohnDar

The difference in cost between a 2500 and 3500 SRW is minimal, if it were me I would go with the 3500HD SRW. The DRW is till the best way to go but if you are totally set on an SRW you should really go with the 3500.

Good Luck

Thanks for the input!

I've rethunk my position and am probably going to go with the 3500HD DRW. True, the cost difference between the 2500 and 3500 SRW is minimal, and it's not a whole lot more to go to DRW. The key is the towing and weight capacities. The 2500 and 3500 SRW's are pretty close, with only 600 lbs. difference in max. trailer (5th wheel) weight, 14300 vs. 14900. Moving up to the DRW gives 16100 lbs and a cargo capacity of almost 4900 lbs. Granted, there are several folks here pulling BH3670's with 2500's with no problems, but I'd like to have a bigger safety margin without having to put in a lot of aftermarket add-ons.

And I'm slowly convincing SWMBO that although it will be stationary at a northern Michigan campground for the summer's, taking it on the road south during the winter might not be a bad idea. Awful lot of money invested to let it sit idle for 7 months in a storage yard.

rickbsgu

rickbsgu
If you want to stay with an SRW, you might want to look into Rickson wheels. They'll boost your SRW ratings to 4500# each, with 19.5" commercial tires. I did this on my Ford F350 SRW carrying a heavy camper. Prior to the Rickson solution, the baddest E rated Michelins I could get always looked low (and I destroyed a couple of rims.)

When I put on the Ricksons, they don't look like they have any weight on them.

It was an amazing difference.

Now, I'm having the tranny beefed up to pull a 3670. That's the last link in the chain, I think (except maybe for an exhaust brake.) I had a Banks PowerPack put on to beef up the diesel, and I've beefed up the suspension w/ air bags.

So, I figure in the end I have a truck equivalent to a F550 or F650, at about a third the cost.

If that proves inadequate, I'll start looking around for tractor conversions (you can get used Volvos for around $20K).

rickb

JohnDar

If you want to stay with an SRW, you might want to look into Rickson wheels. They'll boost your SRW ratings to 4500# each, with 19.5" commercial tires. I did this on my Ford F350 SRW carrying a heavy camper. Prior to the Rickson solution, the baddest E rated Michelins I could get always looked low (and I destroyed a couple of rims.)

When I put on the Ricksons, they don't look like they have any weight on them.

It was an amazing difference.

Now, I'm having the tranny beefed up to pull a 3670. That's the last link in the chain, I think (except maybe for an exhaust brake.) I had a Banks PowerPack put on to beef up the diesel, and I've beefed up the suspension w/ air bags.

So, I figure in the end I have a truck equivalent to a F550 or F650, at about a third the cost.

If that proves inadequate, I'll start looking around for tractor conversions (you can get used Volvos for around $20K).

rickb

Thanks, but I've already ordered the 3500HD dually. Since I couldn't fit a SRW version in my garage anyway, I figured might as well go for the whole enchilada and not have to rebuild it after the fact.

I believe the only real difference between the 2500 (3/4 ton) and the 3500 (1 ton) is the rear springs and tires. I also believe this is essentially true of Ford and Chev as well..at least it is with my Dodge. If you beef up your rear suspension with air bags..you'll have no problem. Of course an engine brake would be real handy!

Last edited:

Delaine and Lindy

The GM 3500 1 ton, DRW is a great choice. You now don't have to worry about pin weight. Even and you move up to a Landmark :D. GBY....

JohnDar

New Truck is Here!

Well, I picked it up today and it is really sweet. Quickly had the bed cover and mud guards added as soon as I left the dealership. Took the wife for a ride and she likes it, too, even if it is a bit stiffer than my Avalanche was. It's a monsta! Gotta change my signature, now.