2016 BighornToilet water valve replace

Brireey1600

I have a 2016 Big Horn 3160EL and my toilet water fill valve does not shut down completely all the time. Does anyone know what toilet was put in the 2016 Bighorn? And a quick rundown on the valve removal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brireey1600

Thanks Dan for getting back to me. I read the thread you sent. I originally thought I would just replace the water valve. There is no markings on the toilet, so I did not know what valve to get. The foot valve seems ok and everything is tight. After reading your thread I am wondering if it is more than the valve and should I just replace the toilet. We are full time and have been using it for 2 yrs now. What would be your thoughts on just replacing the valve vs new toilet.

danemayer

If it's a Dometic 310, the inlet valve sells for at little as $20 and is not difficult to install. A new 310 in Bone is $175-200 these days. (Both from Amazon).

If you have a Thetford, I don't think it's as simple or as inexpensive.

Point your phone's camera near the base on the sides and take pictures to see whether there's a label identifying the manufacturer and model.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Post a photo of it and maybe someone will be able to identify which model it is.

danemayer

What would be your opinion for replacing it. Should I switch to a Dometic?

I've only ever had a Dometic 310, so I don't have personal experience to compare one to the other. But I would say if there's space for a Dometic 320, you might give that some thought. People who have moved to the Dometic 320 seem pretty happy with them.

Brireey1600

I've only ever had a Dometic 310, so I don't have personal experience to compare one to the other. But I would say if there's space for a Dometic 320, you might give that some thought. People who have moved to the Dometic 320 seem pretty happy with them.

Thanks for your help Dan and quick responses I will see if a dometic 320 will fit and let you know how I make out.

Gaffer

You need 11 inches to the center of the flange for a 320
10 for a 310 measure yours from the wall out to the nuts

- - - Updated - - -

Our 2015 BH has a 310. I don't have enough room for a 320.

Last edited by a moderator:

carl.swoyer

View attachment 56965View attachment 56966

Anyone know what make this toilet is. Thanks
The data label is in the back of the toilet. Remove the plastic cover.
Recently had the same issues with the water not shutting off. I determined that the ball valve was not returning to the closed position when flushing. I used hot water in the bowl and distilled vinegar to clean up the build up of " stuff " in and around the ball valve. While this process was being repeated we would flush and then slightly lift up the foot pedal to help with fully closing the the valve.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Lou_and_Bette

The data label is in the back of the toilet. Remove the plastic cover.
Recently had the same issues with the water not shutting off. I determined that the ball valve was not returning to the closed position when flushing. I used hot water in the bowl and distilled vinegar to clean up the build up of " stuff " in and around the ball valve. While this process was being repeated we would flush and then slightly lift up the foot pedal to help with fully closing the the valve.

This cleaning worked for us...simple and easy steps, if it doesn’t work nothing lost and may save you time and money.

Brireey1600

This cleaning worked for us...simple and easy steps, if it doesn’t work nothing lost and may save you time and money.

It is the water fill valve that is not shutting off. The toilet continues to fill with water. I would think hot water and vinegar would not reach the water fill valve parts, am I wrong on that?
My dimensions from back wall to center of opening is only 9.5”. I was hoping to switch to a Dometic if I was to get a new toilet.

carl.swoyer

It is the water fill valve that is not shutting off. The toilet continues to fill with water. I would think hot water and vinegar would not reach the water fill valve parts, am I wrong on that?
My dimensions from back wall to center of opening is only 9.5”. I was hoping to switch to a Dometic if I was to get a new toilet.
In my case it was not the water valve.
The buildup of was holding the ball valve from fully seating in the closed position. By using my foot and lifting the pedal up gently I could see the flow of water stop. The pedal and water valve work together. If the ball valve can't close completely the water valve is left slightly open.

Brireey1600

In my case it was not the water valve.
The buildup of was holding the ball valve from fully seating in the closed position. By using my foot and lifting the pedal up gently I could see the flow of water stop. The pedal and water valve work together. If the ball valve can't close completely the water valve is left slightly open.

Ill give it a shot and let you know if it works for me. Thanks

Gaffer

9.5 inches will probably fit. I have about 1/2 inch clearance with my bolts at 10 inches. The toilet is easy to remove for a test fit. Just keep the new 310 clean. Carefully unpack and repack if you need to return it. Buy it someplace where you can return it. And don't forget to install a shutoff valve when you replumb it. I always turn mine off when travelling. Had a toilet that started running as soon as I connected to city water and was running over by the time I went inside. Lucky to catch it early.

Brireey1600

9.5 inches will probably fit. I have about 1/2 inch clearance with my bolts at 10 inches. The toilet is easy to remove for a test fit. Just keep the new 310 clean. Carefully unpack and repack if you need to return it. Buy it someplace where you can return it. And don't forget to install a shutoff valve when you replumb it. I always turn mine off when travelling. Had a toilet that started running as soon as I connected to city water and was running over by the time I went inside. Lucky to catch it early.

Used the hot water and vinegar gave it a couple of doses then left some in and went to look at a new toilet. Found that the Dometic 310 would fit. Purchased the new toilet and when I got back,it now seems like the hot water and vinegar worked. We’ll watch it for a few days to decide if we should install the new toilet. Thanks for everyone’s responses.

Lou_and_Bette

Used the hot water and vinegar gave it a couple of doses then left some in and went to look at a new toilet. Found that the Dometic 310 would fit. Purchased the new toilet and when I got back,it now seems like the hot water and vinegar worked. We’ll watch it for a few days to decide if we should install the new toilet. Thanks for everyone’s responses.

Good deal! Ours, had some build up that prevented the curved part of the valve from closing all the way. I went a step further that just the vinegar and water and, using an old credit card, lightly scraped the area of contact and cleaned again...haven’t had any problems for a long time.