Emptying a propane tank?

JamesL73

Is there a way to legally empty my 100 lb propane tank so I can safely, and legally, haul it in the back of my truck horizontally while the 5th wheel is hitched??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Have you checked with your propane supplier on pumping out/ buying back your remaining propane?
There probably be a charge for that service.

Lynn1130

I looked at hauling a tank laying on it's side and found a lot of information. What I got out of all of it was that if you are not using it while laying down there is not a problem It is the fact that liquid would flow through the line if on it's side. Otherwise there is no problem. Now I am sure someone will come up with a whole list of why you shouldn't but I had researched it to get a 100lb tank up to elk camp.

Lynn1130

In doing a search it appears that there are companies that do recovery, mostly very large tanks, and it is expensive. I don't know if you want to move it each time you move or exactly what you have in mind but that probably will get very expensive with each evacuation and refill.

Last time I checked on the cost of a 100 lb tank it was around $100. It is probably more costly to try to evacuate and reuse a tank.

The other option, if you are wanting to have a larger tank at various camp location is to rent at that location. Many places have companies that supply the tank and fill it as needed for those that stay longer periods.

https://www.amazon.com/Worthington-...pID=31-Dv2ZDmFL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

JamesL73

In doing a search it appears that there are companies that do recovery, mostly very large tanks, and it is expensive. I don't know if you want to move it each time you move or exactly what you have in mind but that probably will get very expensive with each evacuation and refill.

Last time I checked on the cost of a 100 lb tank it was around $100. It is probably more costly to try to evacuate and reuse a tank.

The other option, if you are wanting to have a larger tank at various camp location is to rent at that location. Many places have companies that supply the tank and fill it as needed for those that stay longer periods.

https://www.amazon.com/Worthington-...pID=31-Dv2ZDmFL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I’ll check with the local gas supply company. I don’t move around that often, only when moving to a new job location which is 3 months to a couple years so it may not be that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwdt

you could pick up an adapter hose that will allow you to move the propane from the large tank into smaller tanks. You can buy them online.

avvidclif

I would strap it down good in the bed of the truck and take off. I can't find any laws that apply to a private person hauling their own tank. What I find is for commercial carriers.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have a 100 pound tank where I'm at right now...

ProwlerNewLPregulator-P3191821.jpg

I paid around $40 bucks for a delivery/rental fee and it cost about $65 to fill.

I've had it filled four times in the two months I've been at this park.