Paint overspray on rear window

beardedone

Beardedone
Well I'm washing the unit today. Really the first time that I was able to give it a good one. I was trying to wash the rear window and couldn't figure out what was on it. Our Augusta got a partial paint job, so I figure they wanted to paint the window too. How do you paint overspary off the laarrggee rear window? p.s. Factory - tell the paint shop to do a better job! This is going to be a big job and I havent't got that much time!

AS7074

Gulfstream IV
wd-40 and a razor blade.... that will make quick work of it. another way is to clay bar the window.

jbeletti

Gerry,

Just in case it is over-spray from the paint shop, I have passed this along to the plant to the Production Manager and QA Manager to notify the contract paint company (Performance Graphics).

Sorry that you have some scrubbing ahead of you. Clay bar may be best.

Jim

jbeletti

Clay bar

Clay is a mixture of clay base and various mild abrasives that is used to remove paint contamination. Spray wax, window cleaner or water can work as a clay lubricant. Road grime, tar, bugs, rust, tree sap and even paint overspray can be removed with a clay bar. Claying does not remove the clear coat of the paint but can cause marring or dullness if used incorrectly. It takes a few passes of clay to feel the difference on the surface of the paint. Claying does not replace polishing. It is simply a process that should be used before polishing compound is used. Claying should be used once or twice a year depending on the year of the car or truck.

Source: Wikipedia

Video example of how to use a clay bar.

beardedone

Beardedone
Guess what I added to my favourites list. It is just too bad that my kids have grown up moved out of town. (Lucky for them anyway). It might have to wait until spring now but I'm sure it will be waiting for me with open arms.

Shadowchek

I had overspray on my Bighorn after getting some rust issues resolved. They repainted the frame after sanding it down. I had waxed the whole thing and wondered what was ruff and it was overspray. I used laquer thinner it took it off pretty quick. I then waxed it. It worked good.

Greg

chrispitude

Clay bars do an amazing job for removing the crust and grime from the paint. The paint feels slippery-smooth afterwords. It also works well for removing sap/tar spots that haven't fully cured into fossils yet.

- Chris

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I haven't used a clay bar yet but had been thinking about trying it out. I did see a kit put out by Meguiars at the local AutoZone parts store. The Meguiars web site elaborates on the kit and claybar with a FAQ section......Kenny.......... www.meguiars.com

Forrest Fetherolf

I use..................Mothers Clay Bar Kit..........from Walmart. http://www.autogeek.net/motcalgolcla.html.

I introduced this product to a retired Firefighter Captain of 30 years, his comment was........"I have been missing something all these years." His fire truck could have been a lot shinier had he known. :) He was anxious to get back to Tacoma, WA to tell his buddies at the fire station.

Forrest

Delaine and Lindy

On our 2009 Landmark we also had paint overspray on about 75% of our rear window. Never got around to removing it. However the Clay bar will work, at one time I managed a Auto paint supply store and all body shops bought the Clay bars. Good luck. GBY....