REPAIRED: Interior door trim damage

ronjohn99

Hi all, we bought a 2016 Bighorn 3570RS back in early December. We live in South Dakota and bought it from a dealer in Portland, OR. They agreed to store it for us until now and we were getting ready to go pick it up in a week. The dealer called today because when they opened it up to start prepping in for our pickup they found this. The said they will fix it at no charge to us but at the time I spoke with them they did not know the cause. Anybody have any ideas?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140823748@N07/40034937285/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140823748@N07/40220395144/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140823748@N07/40034938995/in/dateposted-public/

Attachments

• IMG_2921.jpg
    IMG_2921.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 196

MCTalley

Re: Door frame damage

It looks a lot like water damage, but the flooring and wallboards don't appear to bear that theory out.

Since it is a 2016, is it being purchased used or new?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

It's hard to tell from the photos but it kinda looks like water damage that caused the composite of wood to swell.
Check around that damage at the floor and wall to look for other signs of water.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

My impression was that someone was moving something and ran into the wood.

I was also wondering - is that a carpet stretcher in the picture? If so, maybe that's the culprit.

ILH

Oddly enough, late last fall the door jam on our bathroom had the exact same issue. Since its an interior wall, I can't figure out how it would have gotten wet. It's on my list to fix this spring.

MCTalley

Check around that damage at the floor and wall to look for other signs of water.

Before you sign the check or paperwork. I'm a bit suspicious that there may be a lot more underneath that carpet and flooring than meets the eye. As Dan mentioned, that looks like a carpet stretcher in your first picture and I'm suspecting the tool connected to the air hose in the same picture was probably a stapler or nailer.

Factory carpet is installed wall to wall before the bedroom dresser is put down, so stretching carpet in that area means they've probably cut it and pulled it up - hopefully just to check for floor damage.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Door frame damage

Hi all, we bought a 2016 Bighorn 3570RS back in early December. We live in South Dakota and bought it from a dealer in Portland, OR. They agreed to store it for us until now and we were getting ready to go pick it up in a week. The dealer called today because when they opened it up to start prepping in for our pickup they found this. The said they will fix it at no charge to us but at the time I spoke with them they did not know the cause. Anybody have any ideas?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140823748@N07/40034937285/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140823748@N07/40220395144/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140823748@N07/40034938995/in/dateposted-public/

Looks like water damage. Water soaked into the compressed wood pieces (wrapped with wood grain paper), swelled, and cracked the paper.

Maybe the toilet was not winterized, froze and broke something, and caused a flood into the hall? Made the carpet buckle? Im wondering if they are trying to cover something up here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bogie

I agree with the assessment of others. Looks like water damage.

The question is....where did it come from? If the dealer is repairing it, they should be able to determine the source and tell you where it came from. I would ask for a definitive answer along with pictures. It's highly possible the toilet is involved or there may be a vent pipe in the wall behind the toilet. If there is one, the roof vent may have leaked and water ran down the pipe without affecting the ceiling or wall.

Once you go out there, I would spend some stepping hard on the floor all around that area to check for a soft floor. You can also probe the floor a little with an ice pick or awl tool to see if the floor is rotten.

As previously said, don't hand over the check until you are satisfied the problem is resolved.

Good luck.

ronjohn99

Thanks for all the replies. There have been a couple of questions come up and I will answer them in this one post. We are buying it used...in fact we have already purchased it and had worked out a storage deal with the dealer. As for the carpet stretcher that was going to be done anyhow at out request due to a wrinkle in the carpet near the bed. I will update this when I talk to the dealer again.

kowAlski631

Our shower hose sprang a leak in the hose and the molding looked like yours when all was said and done. Make sure that the dealer accesses the shower and makes sure it doesn't have a slow leak .

ronjohn99

Well the dealer has fixed the door frames and trim. They did find that the vent cover over the bathroom fan was slightly open so it is possible that wind blown rain or snow (they had snow in Portland) got in there and leaked on to the bathroom floor. When we get out there next week we are planning on having the carpet pulled back to see if there is anything going on under it just to be sure. Thanks for the responses.

KenandKK

Hi Ronjohn99, and welcome to the Heartland Family.

I just wanted to add to the possible sources of the water..... Inside the wall, somewhere, there is a anti-siphon/vacuum break valve for the black tank flush line. If that fails, and they do, it tries to fill the wall with the flush water. You may want to have the dealer run the black tank flush, just to be sure. Most times they are installed in back of the shower enclosure. Enjoy!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Based on your dealer finding the vent cap was slightly open, you've got a good reason to either have them, or DIY, install MaxxAir vent covers over the moveable vent caps to prevent this kind of thing. Over time, exposed to the elements, the OEM vent caps will dry up and fracture without too much provocation. Cheap enough to replace, but not if they leak while you're not there or the rig is in storage.

Our BC had the same damage. We were told it was from the same cause. When the unit was on the lot someone opened and forgot to close the bathroom vent. HL sent new trim and the dealer repaired it before we picked it up.

jmbuys

i have a 2013 Elkridge 34tsre. does anyone know where I can find the interior door jambs (trim) Mine was also damaged by moisture.
any help would be appreciated,

Attachments

• doorjamb1.jpg
    doorjamb1.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 61
  • doorjamb2section.jpg
    doorjamb2section.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 59

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Call Heartland Customer Service, they should be able to help.
Have your VIN handy.
574-262-8030

Peace
Dave

Viahogger

Hello all,

My interior bathroom door jambs at bottom got wet from clean water overflowing, possibly from leaking toilet valve. I installed a sharkbite ball valve behind toilet to and shut off the main water supply while not at 5th wheel. Heartland does have door jams, problem is I live in Ontario, Canada and Heartland does not have a broker to ship to in Canada. I am going to call a few dealers and hope for the best.