Advice Needed - Keystone Laredo vs 2018 Heartland Pioneer 322

Boone

Hi everyone. I’m new here and new to the RV world as well. I am looking for a fifth wheel to traveli with my wife and two young kids. I am trying to make my mind up between a 2015 keystone Laredo (33 feet) and 2018 heartland pioneer 322 (37 feet). The heartland is only a couple thousand dollars more. My questions and concerns are this:

How do you guys like Heartland as a brand, and if you know how does it compare to Keystone.

I am also very worried about the 37 foot length and that I may not be able to get into some campsites. I will be towing with my 3/4 ton crew cab F250. If anybody could give me some advice on lengths that would be greatly appreciated.

jimtoo

Re: Advice Needed

Hi Boone,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Enjoy the forum and hope to see you in a Heartland unit.

Jim M

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired

Boone,
Welcome to the forum!

It's not a secret that the longer the rig, the more you limit the possibilities for campsites. The 4' difference probably won't hurt you much at commercial campgrounds but even the 33' could be restricting at some of the older State and National parks. They just weren't built with 5th wheels in mind!

As to the question of Keystone vs Heartland, it's like asking Ford or Chevy or Dodge for a towing vehicle....there's no definitive answer. In my mind, the decision is based on the floorplan of the coach and how well it will serve our needs. Next up is quality at the pricepoint and just as important is the reputation of the manufacturer.

We feel that the Heartland Owners Club and the Heartland Forum are as good as it gets. Remember, if you decide another brand is best for you and your family, you'll still be welcome here to take advantage of the groups knowledge and experiences.

I doubt my comments will make your decision any easier. You're not the first to be in this quandary. The decision has to be what's best for you, not what's best for us.

carl.swoyer

Hi everyone. I’m new here and new to the RV world as well. I am looking for a fifth wheel to traveli with my wife and two young kids. I am trying to make my mind up between a 2015 keystone Laredo (33 feet) and 2018 heartland pioneer 322 (37 feet). The heartland is only a couple thousand dollars more. My questions and concerns are this:

How do you guys like Heartland as a brand, and if you know how does it compare to Keystone.

I am also very worried about the 37 foot length and that I may not be able to get into some campsites. I will be towing with my 3/4 ton crew cab F250. If anybody could give me some advice on lengths that would be greatly appreciated.
Don't worry about the length.
My 2012 Landmark Rushmore fifth wheel is 40 feet and I've never had a problem getting into a site. Sometimes I tell the campground I'm 36 feet just to get more flexibility in my site choice. And to address State and National Parks, I use them all the time. Never had a problem getting into any site. I use National, State, Army Corp parks.
Purchased mine new and I am extremely happy with the performance of Heartland fifth wheel. Know how to manuver your rig and you can put it anywhere
And this forum it awesome

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
97e79453cf25710f4daa0364967d98b9.jpg

jerryjay11

Boone,
Welcome to the forum!

It's not a secret that the longer the rig, the more you limit the possibilities for campsites. The 4' difference probably won't hurt you much at commercial campgrounds but even the 33' could be restricting at some of the older State and National parks. They just weren't built with 5th wheels in mind!

As to the question of Keystone vs Heartland, it's like asking Ford or Chevy or Dodge for a towing vehicle....there's no definitive answer. In my mind, the decision is based on the floorplan of the coach and how well it will serve our needs. Next up is quality at the pricepoint and just as important is the reputation of the manufacturer.

We feel that the Heartland Owners Club and the Heartland Forum are as good as it gets. Remember, if you decide another brand is best for you and your family, you'll still be welcome here to take advantage of the groups knowledge and experiences.

I doubt my comments will make your decision any easier. You're not the first to be in this quandary. The decision has to be what's best for you, not what's best for us.
I'll go along with this and add the Heartland is newer and has a warranty.

MTPockets

You really need to verify the payload limit for your truck and consider how much you can handle. The fifth wheel pin weight plus all cargo added plus passengers weight may put you under capacity for a larger unit.

Boone

Thank you everyone for the advice, I bought the Heartland Pioneer. It is pre wired for a backup camera, can I get some advice on what to buy? Thanks again!

CoveredWagon

Thank you everyone for the advice, I bought the Heartland Pioneer. It is pre wired for a backup camera, can I get some advice on what to buy? Thanks again!

Many folks buy the Furrion observation camera. There is a lot of discussion on this site. Search “Furrion backup camera”.

carl.swoyer

How's about some pictures.
And curiosity, how much does it weigh empty.
Congratulations

jbeletti

Thank you. It weighs 9600 lbs. dry.

I’m on my phone and I dont see how I can add pictures.

You can use the Tapatalk app to access the forum from a mobile device and add images from that mobile device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

Thank you. It weighs 9600 lbs. dry.

I’m on my phone and I dont see how I can add pictures.
Touch on reply
Then scroll down to photo,file, videos.
Touch on the +
Then pick a source. Camera-photo
Gallery
Or, attachment

skippydo

Hi Advice Needed:

We are THRILLED to be a part of the Heartland Family. Last year we purchased a 2017 Pioneer 5th wheel PI276.
Maybe this will help. Our first was a used 2006 Coachman Cascade (holds soft spot for us) next was brand-new StarCraft Travel Trailer aka the hunk of junk. Both of which we had warranties.

Star Craft although new had a host of problems the manufacture would NOT help us out with. From "off" interior building problems to a ditch AC unit (coleman mac) that would not cool. Living in the south without a proper AC unit is an awful experience. For example 90 degree weather took our 29ft travel trailer over 12hours to cool. We ran to Home Depot for stand UP AC and fans. Finally packed UP and drove home.

Contacting StarCraft and resolving our issues was always met with ho-humming around to endless emails and photos WE had to send to prove we had a problem and/or it must be your problem Mr/Mrs skippydo but it is not StarCrafts. We finally had enough and within months of our new purchase we traded it.

Heartland has been absolutely wonderful. They stand behind their product. This has been our experience.

What I can speak about is a few things.. *note above* Our Pioneer has DOMETIC AC as apposed to "Coleman MAC" (not happy with coleman mac) We have learned that when you have a rig longer than 27ft ...having one 13btu ac will not do the trick to cool the entire unit IF you are traveling during the hot hot weather months. Our average temps outside reach 90plus degrees, humidity just as high if not higher.

When we bought our Pioneer 5th Wheel we added a 2nd AC (13btu) above the Master Bed. For us it was the best decision. While your making your decision LOOK at where the AC vents are located. Where is the return? Are your needs being met. Remember the air must make it's way all the way back to both ends of the rig. Some sleeping room areas in rigs only have 1 vent.

Take your time, really take your time when seeing if a coach is right for you and your family. AC and heat/cooking source are very important. We always cook out side so interior stove area was not a big deal.
A goodnight sleep too. CAN you lay down, roll over and SIT up without clonking your head. Our Star Craft had a very low over head area...it was awful.

DO you need space beside your bed for clock, sleeping machine or other medical devices? Some rigs do not have a bedside stand area. What they do have is a floor to ceiling wardrobe. Our Pioneer has two bedside stands. Plus it gives us a feeling of not being wedged in.

Searching for a new RV is so much fun. I wanted to mention a few of the things we now make sure we double check before signing on that dotted line.

Heartland has stood behind their product and they are user friendly when you need to call them.
Happy Trails and Happy RV hunting.

*some campsite do have restrictions on length of your unit. Give a few "dream spots' a call and ask what their guidelines are first before you buy.