New to RV World

Boone

I just bought a new Heartland Pioneer. I pick it up next week and plan on going straight to a campground to put it to the test. Besides a back up camera, what are the immediate purchase items I need before I arrive to pick it up? Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Oregon_Camper

You should plan to do a complete your own Pre-Delivery Inspection. You can use the link below to download mine, or you can search the internet for another one.

This document will take you about 4 hours to complete (don't rush it) and will ensure you understand all the operations of the trailer as well as having you inspect the trailer. This will help you find all sorts of "gotcha" stuff that might not pop up until later down the road (ie...when your 100's of miles from an RV shop). No matter what the dealer says, their PDI will never cover everything.

Complete this PDI and get dealer to fix all issue before paying for trailer...that way the dealer is very motivated to finish.

https://www.rvwiththetanners.com/pre-delivery-inspection

Once you're at the PDI page, you can click on the menu bar at the top to look at our "Should Have" and "Must Have" list under the "Recommended Gear" section. :cool:

Boone

You should plan to do a complete your own Pre-Delivery Inspection. You can use the link below to download mine, or you can search the internet for another one.

This document will take you about 4 hours to complete (don't rush it) and will ensure you understand all the operations of the trailer as well as having you inspect the trailer. This will help you find all sorts of "gotcha" stuff that might not pop up until later down the road (ie...when your 100's of miles from an RV shop). No matter what the dealer says, their PDI will never cover everything.

Complete this PDI and get dealer to fix all issue before paying for trailer...that way the dealer is very motivated to finish.

https://www.rvwiththetanners.com/pre-delivery-inspection

Once you're at the PDI page, you can click on the menu bar at the top to look at our "Should Have" and "Must Have" list under the "Recommended Gear" section. :cool:

wow! This is a huuuuge help. Thank you so much!

CoveredWagon

Make sure all the doors interior and exterior etc open and close properly. Ours didn’t fit the frame properly. I still fuss with them a little. Make sure all the dump valves work properly I still have an issue with a very slow draining gray tank. Not just that the handles pull. Check for proper working tv s. These are a few of the issues we had/have. Minor considering, but still the more you get the dealer to fix the easier life will be for you.
Good luck and have fun.

jerryjay11

Prior to any shake-down trip the only needed item to purchase is the beer. Other than that the PDI is the important thing to get done before any other purchases. Once you get the first trip out of the way you'll discover on your own what you want for updates.

This adds to what CoveredWagon posted:
I will advise to look closely at the entry doors to ensure they latch properly when closed. Ensure the frame of the door doesn't have a gap and the door seal mates with the frame properly. Had mine replaced only after arguing and insisting the doors did not close properly.

Also make sure the "T" handles on the black and gray water dump valves are tight. My "T" handles almost fell off because they were never tightened.

Remember the only dumb question is the one never asked, so ask plenty.

eddylives

Make sure you put pen to paper.
As any issues or concerns arise on the maiden voyage be sure to document them.
It is easy to forget something as the days go by.
Even make a "wish I had this " list as you go for things you did not anticipate.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I just bought a new Heartland Pioneer. I pick it up next week and plan on going straight to a campground to put it to the test. Besides a back up camera, what are the immediate purchase items I need before I arrive to pick it up? Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

I would recommend some leveling blocks and a water pressure reducer for your city water hookup. Other than that all of us could recommend things that work for us but might not for you. We are always adding and getting rid of things as we go. You will figure it out as you go. Congratulations and enjoy your new rig!

Boone

Thanks everyone for the advice. I got the pioneer 322.

Do I need leveling blocks? I thought that’s what the legs were for? It also has the auto level function.

CoveredWagon

Thanks everyone for the advice. I got the pioneer 322.

Do I need leveling blocks? I thought that’s what the legs were for? It also has the auto level function.

That kinda depends on where you are parking. Fairly level ground, nope, hilly ground, maybe, maybe not. But if you need them and don’t have them then, well you get the idea. I haven’t heard too much good about the plastic blocks as I’ve read the will crack and or break if on rocky or rough ground. Many folks carry wood 2x? Blocks. I have 12x12 pieces of stall mat to put under my blocks if on rough surfaces.
Just my $.02 for what it’s worth.