Potential new owner--need help weights

aatauses

hey--potential new owner--looking for some help---currently backpackers and looking to buy 5th wheel. Too much information about weights. Am I figuring this correctly? Typical 3/4 ton empty is 5800 #, add people gear and get 6500#---add pin weight of 2800# for a total of 9200 # for truck---if the rv is 14000 gross do I not subtract the pin weight to get the rv weight of 11,200# and then add that to the truck for total wt of 20,400#?? thanks--still looking

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
aatauses, your train of thought is correct though the weight of a "typical" 3/4 ton may be a bit more than 5800#. I had a Chev 2500HD with 8.1/Allison. With me, wife, dog, fuel and hitch in the bed was 7085# Needless to say, with our 3400RL we were a few hundred over our trucks GVRW. Happy Shopping

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Get your truck on a certified scale, don't go by the manufacturers weights.

My 6100 lb truck(according to the manufacturer) actually weighs just over 9000 lbs full of fuel (125 gallons) with me in it plus the amount of gear I carry

Wouldn't be surprised if your truck is actually close to 7000 lbs or better if it's a quad cab