Need Help on 16" tire swap!

mcbubba

We have a 2008 3012RE that we tow with a 2007 2500HD Duramax. We are very happy with this setup but are now concerned with the 16" Missions on the 6,000 lb. axles. I have read all the good imfo on ST vs. LT tires and yet the consensus seems to be for michelin RIBs which are LT tires . My question is can I take my Bridgestone LT 245/75 R16 E rated tires and put them on my Sundance. I have only 7,000 miles on these tires and need to buy tires for winter as these tires are not rated for snow? THANKS, McBuubba

jnbhobe

McBubba, You didn't say what size tire your using now, but I would guess 235-85-R16. The 245-75-R16 will be a bit smaller maybe 1 to 1-1/2 in. check the weight rating on the side of the tires, if their close and you won't have any clearance problems you sould be ok. I've used a lot of different LT tires on my trailers with no trouble. Good Luck, JON:):)
PS.don't you love SNOW country:(:p:(

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I think you could use the tires, they are 16" and E rated so the rims should handle them if the missions are E reated. Look on the side of the Mission tires and see what the max weight is and then look on the side of the Bridgestone tires. If they have the same weight and E rated then you should have no problem.

mcbubba

16" tire swap

Thanks Bob and Pat, My Bridgestones have an equal load rating as the Missions so I'm going to go ahead with the swap. Thanks, Tom (mcbubba)

jwb187

I have over 15000 miles on my 16" Mission tires haven't had a problem yet. I watch my inflation pressure 80 psi and examine the inside and outside sidewalls frequently. I remember in prior reading about Missions that the main problem was with the 15" tires which required a much higher inflation pressure of 110 psi. I'm going to run my Missions until they wear out or I start having problems. jmho, jwb. Seems financially unsound to change unless having problems.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I changed out the Mission (3) and Freestar (2) that came with my 3400RE the day I rolled it off the dealers lot. I had heard that many had ran their tires a number of miles and some that failed with a low mileage. I figured that a $1200 investment was worth not having to possibably mess up my new trailer and loose time while on my way to Canada and other intresting places.. It is like buying insurance. It is a gamble. Not will they blow but will they go before I change them out. I feel it was money well spent.

Each owner must gauge what risk they wish to endure. I am a real wimp..:p

sasha_j

I remember in prior reading about Missions that the main problem was with the 15" tires which required a much higher inflation pressure of 110 psi. I.

Are you sure about that? I am not aware of any 15" rubber taking 110 PSI. I think 65 PSI is the norm for 15".

cmart

McBubba, First thing I'd do would be get an independent shop to make sure the axles and frame were aligned, then put on perhaps the tires you want to use, and make sure the air pressure is the proper amount and then go for it. And yes, the tires I put on were LTs instead of STs. I've monitor the tread depth and wear patterns since I've installed the michelins ribs and nothing has changed. Peace of mind is worth thousands.

geeman53

Sasha J, our D load 15" Maxxis are 65 psi.Maxxis E load 15 " are 80 psi.We replaced the original C load 35 psi Missions with the D load Maxxis.

nugget

1. Has anyone moved the spare 16 inch trailer tire from under the trailer to the back bumper?
Is the bumper strong enough for the bigger tire?

2. Will the spare tire and rim on my 06 duramax (LT 245/75r16) fit on to the trailer axle?
If so why couldn't I use the truck spare as a trailer spare also?

Clare
sundance 3300sk
2006 Duramax

CPE

I was told that tires for trailers must be trailer rated as on original tires.
State may not inspect trailer with those tires. I was told this by a friend.

CPE

dreamer

Yes the spare from your 06 Duramax will fit the trailer. I have done that.as for mounting the spare on the bumper i think it could be done if you custom made a mount that kept the spare almost touching the trailer to avoid leverage and hence extra twisting on the bumper.

Bicycle racks should NEVER be mounted to stock bumper unless the bumper has been heavily reinforced. I unfortunately speak from experience. It was costly but no one was hurt!! The bumpers of say the last 10 years are not as solid as they were say 15 years ago.It is a huge risk to have something fall off the back. You are play with peoples lives! Hope this helps:)