Black tank will not drain

Bill Boyd

I went to drain the black tank and pulled the handle and nothing happened. I have check the cable at the valve and it moves. Could the valve be broken or do you think the tank is just plugged up.

fljlcw

it could possibly be A piece of plastic left from when they cut out the drain hole in the tank I got lucky and mine passed the drain valve and hung up in the hose

fhollan

I've had that problem twice before on the TT I had. It turned out to be the solids in the tank blocked the drain. After banging on the drain several times with my fist, it drained. Also the previous post (fljlcw) with a piece of plastic, that's happened to me also. Hope that helps!

Last edited:

ChopperBill

Took mine to the dealer because it was slow to drain. They wrote "no problem found" on the work order. So, I took it home and ran hose down the stool and drained into my "Blue Boy". Did that a few times and rag of some sort came out. Been draining pretty good since.

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
I went to drain the black tank and pulled the handle and nothing happened. I have check the cable at the valve and it moves. Could the valve be broken or do you think the tank is just plugged up.

Mine did the same thing Labor Day weekend. Pulled the handle and nothing. It still will not drain but due to all the rain and hurricanes in my area I have not had a chance to look for the problem. Would like to know what you find your problem to be if you get yours corrected.

Bill Boyd

I checked the valve and it looked like it was working. I decided to add more water to the tank and all of a sudden it cut loose and drained. I gave it a good cleaning with the sprayer. Hopefully that will be the end of that problem. Thanks for all of the replies.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I have noticed, when I drain the black tank, that sometimes it will get a big chunk hung up the valve or hose. I close the valve and let it fill part way up, with the sprayer, to get a little pressure behind it. Then when I open the valve again the clog clears.
Fred

SmokeyBare

I always find it best to have a full tank when dumping. Seems that volume of liquid helps drag everything out nicely. It's always nice to have good pressure when using the Sani-Flush while dumping the Black water tank. The high pressure helps scour the sides of the tank.

I've give up worrying about the sensors, instead I go by the Burp signal to remind me to dump. When the Toilet Burps back slightly as I flush... I know it's time to dump.

After I dump the Black water tank... I feel the hose gets a good flushing by dumping the gray water... Kitchen tank first then the Gray Shower water tank.

Works for me !

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
I think I will avoid the "burp" method, especially in hot environments. You "burpers" are sick, ugh! LOL. It only takes one incident of walking in after a long day to your rig and smelling the stink. Ask your neighbors in the park. In my military experience, when someone didn't clean up, they found themselves scrubbed down to make a point. If you use the "burp" method watch out for neighbors walking around with scrub brushes. You might find out the hard way! LOL

soilmovers

I think I will avoid the "burp" method, especially in hot environments. You "burpers" are sick, ugh! LOL. It only takes one incident of walking in after a long day to your rig and smelling the stink. Ask your neighbors in the park. In my military experience, when someone didn't clean up, they found themselves scrubbed down to make a point. If you use the "burp" method watch out for neighbors walking around with scrub brushes. You might find out the hard way! LOL

Actually, this was some of the best advice I received on this list. lol!!

Not having a lot of experience with RV's, I relied on the sensor reading, which isn't very accurate.

Now, the tank is emptied at the very first sign of a burb without any problems-

thanks to the advice of a fellow burper!

Cindy

jnbhobe

I agree, We have used the burp method for 30yr. never failed. You need the force of a full tank to thoughly empty the tank. The only time I empty a partly full tank is when we are not going to use the trailer for a while.It WFM. JON & PATTI :):);)

SmokeyBare

Larry was trying to be CUTE... and took it a touch beyond the subject at hand...

I consider the source.... as there is no reason to step into personal hygiene when the subject was about Holding Tank Water...

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Oh please smokeybare get real and lets not get so personal as yes I was trying to be cute, but when we were in hot weather this summer what I said about the smell actually occured. Since sensors aren't very reliable, we try to estimate 2/3 to 3/4 blank tank filled before draining those tanks. Thankfully, we have never had the burping u brought up, but each to their own. You appear to be very sensitive, and to "consider the source" I believe you are a little out of line with a personal attack. I made a little joke, and you make it personal. I guarantee if the blank tank overflows, personal hygiene becomes a real issue. This is a forum to express opinions, and that was mine. Please try not to make your posts so personally offensive as I was only trying to help. I know you are experts but everyone has had their own experiences, and I expressed mine, with a little humor thrown in. Obviously soilmovers thought it a bit funny, and you ought to lighten up. If you have a personal issue with me PM me and we can talk about it and maybe get on the same page. I am here to humbly learn and express opinions and did not appreciate your "below the belt" comments.