Fridge isnt too cold

Deepsky3539

My fridge hasnt been too cold this seaon. I found the adjuster but I am pretty confused as to how it is supposed to work. Anyone know enough about how raising a sensor can change the fridge temperature to explain it to me?

Rickhansen

My fridge hasnt been too cold this seaon. I found the adjuster but I am pretty confused as to how it is supposed to work. Anyone know enough about how raising a sensor can change the fridge temperature to explain it to me?

Stratification. With the door closed, the colder air falls to the bottom of the refrigerator cavity. Warmer air rises. When you raise the sensor into the cavity, it will sense the warmer air, keep the fridge 'running' longer. I've played with moving my sensor around and found that the net effect is minimal.

I too have been disappainted with the refrigerator performance in our Bighorn 3670. I did achieve success with the following mods:

1. I added a 12-volt fan in the rear of the refrigerator to push the heat out of the chase.

2. I also installed some insulation on top of the fridge (and the kitchen slide roof) to keep the heat from being trapped in the the chase and around the freezer.

3. I added a 12v fan inside the fridge ( rvrefrigfan@yahoo.com) I found from from ebay for about $15,

4. I installed a resistor kit kit from Dometic to offset calibrate the sensor by a few degrees. (I don't think these kits are in production any longer, but I found one on ebay - I think a 10k ohm resistor inline with the sensor would do the same thing.)

Seems like quite an expense and a bother - but I do have cold beverages now.:)

wshamby01

I put a thermometer in mine and moved it up and down until I found the perfect spot for me. I left it in each spot for a couple of hours to get a good reading. My fridge will get down to around 34 degrees and that is plenty cold for my drinks.

Tankie

Hello, we have a dometic RM1350 in our 2009 3670RL, fridge would not stay cold. I checked it out and the 2 little fans in back where not working so I put a 7 in. elec. fan in back to move air tell I could get to a dealer that would do warranty work. The fan was working great even had to turn it down, but on the way to CA. from CO. on those great roads a weld broke on the cooling unit and fridge started warming back up. Took to a dealer yesterday and the new cooling unit is about 10 days out, as long as outside temps. stay cool I might make it. So keep an eye out for a yellow residue running or dripping down the back of fridge! But after cooling unit gets replace still have to deal with fan issue. Tankie

rvansnick

Also found our fridge would not stay cold in our driveway which is not level and has quite an incline. Fridge has to be perfectly level in order to function properly. Just my 5 cents worth as that is a problem we had with the fridge and of course, took it to the dealer and they told me fridge was working perfect. Went to pick it up, took it home everything fine, then next day, fridge not cold again and freezer defrosting. Found out the hard way that the fridges dont work if not level. Happy Camping

Rick VanSnick
Nova scotia
Canada,
2008 Cyclone 3795

Shadowchek

When I First get a new 5ver I level it to the fridge then set up my outside levels. Not only will it not cool properly if unlevel but it can cause permenant damage to the fridge. Rv refridgerators use heat to cause the freon to change from liquid to vapor instead of having a compressor like your house or car. You have an electric heater when you are running it off of electricity and a gas burner when running off of propane. Heat rises to where it is supposed to when it is level but if unlevel it misses the sweet spot causing a lack of heat to get to the freon so it doesn't vaporise enough. When it is in the vapor state it releases the heat that it collected inside your fridge and then comes back around and collects some more heat. If there isn't enough heat to vaporise enough freon you fridge won't get cold enough.

Greg

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
At one of the North American rallies, the Dometic rep told us that as long as we were comfortable in the FW, then it was level enough to run the refrigerator.

I have a slight incline in my driveway and it has never caused a problem with cooling. However, in Rvansnick's situation, I would believe that his incline is too great to try to cool it. I guess the question here would be - is the FW level enough to be comfortable in it?