The 21FBS sink...

chrispitude

Hi all,

We are looking forward to purchasing a 21FBS next spring. I keep looking over pictures online and everything looks perfect to me except for one aspect...

The angled sink seems awkward to me from the pictures. Also, there doesn't seem to be a lot of countertop space for use while cooking or prepping meals. I have been very happy with our Rockwood 2605's sink/countertop arrangement, although it's about the only thing I've been happy with it about. Looking at the 21FBS floorplan, I haven't come up with a better arrangement, but I wanted to ask 21FBS owners how well the sink/countertop arrangement works in practice.

Honestly, this was the biggest "problem" I could find in the design of the 21FBS, and it's not enough to be a deal-breaker. :)

Oh yeah, the only other thing I would change on the 21FBS would be to convert the bed to a jack-bed that flips up to become a sofa during the day! (The Surveyor SV-249 has this, you can search for pictures to see how it works.)

- Chris

Hart

I don't own a 21 but looked at it extensively. Area seemed plenty roomy when you are standing in front of the sink. If you want extra counter space, a flip up counter addition could be mounted at end near doorway.

Interesting comments on the bed.....I prefer "non flip up" bed so you don't have a line/crack that you are sleeping on.

Two minor things about it bothered me. The small cabinet (near bathrm) did not open for storage and there is just a small part of the window (over dinette booth) that opens; the remainder is fixed glass.

One big plus: window in bathroom.

Overall, a very nice unit!

eddysgarage

Hey there! It's Eddy and my new 21FBS works very well in the sink area. Just leave 1 cover over the right sink and you should have room to prepare foods.
We plan a trip to Pensacola, FL in Feb 09 for 1 month and really are comfortable with the large bath and comfy mattress.
I'm still puzzled why the winter valves for the WH are hidden so well!!!! :(
REGARDS for a nice fall.....

Longshot1

Spent a 3 week streach in our 21Fbs and had no problem with food prep. Used both sinks and if we needed more room we used part of the table. There was just the wife and myself. When I cook I try to use as little room as possible. I make the mess, the wife cleans up. Marty

chrispitude

Thanks guys! It's good to know the layout works well in practice, and this is the real-world experience I was hoping to hear. Does the stove have a cover so it can serve as another work surface? The 21FBS we saw at the Hershey show had no cover. Our Rockwood stove had this and it was quite handy.

- Chris

smildrum

Hi Chris,
We also have a 21FBS that we got in July. Our stove does not have a cover for it. We use a large wooden cutting board resting over the sink area and move it on top of the stove (when not in use) for additional counter space. We used this kind of set-up in our last trailer too.

Recently my husband made sink cutting board covers that fit into the top groove of the sink. We use and remove those as necessary.

We love the 21FBS and actually have very little issue with counter space. One thing that has helped us is we stand a vinyl coated metal shelf under the kitchen window. I think it is 24 inches long. This gives us an additional horizantal surface to put things.

Sue

Last edited:

irvin56

Here's what I did for ours

Thread: 3 burner stove cover

icon1.gif
3 burner stove cover
Morning everybody.
I made a wooden cover for our stove. Sorry no pic's

I took a 1x3 ( accual size 3/4x2-1/2) and stood on side, attached 2- 15" wide shelfs (3/4" thick)to it and made one big cover to do the complete stove and area behind it.
TOTAL over all size is 30" long and 26" wide
I glued and screwed to the shelfs, 1x3s on 3 sides and left the front open as not to sit on stove top to damage it and have an area to lift it off. The shelve setup sits on the counter itself as I attached uprights to the very outside lip of shelve. The inside measurement is 23-3/4 inchs.

The area behind stove is a waste anyway and we always cook outside so this gives Gail a nice flat surface to work on.
The 2-1/2 inch height of the1x3s give the proper clearance of the burners and does not even rest on them. No way to damage elements or stove top. I put some little foam pieces on the bottom of uprights so it does not scratch counter.
If we do cook inside, we can lift off and put on bed untill . We will also remove from counter when we travel

I went to Rona and picked up a stain Called Butcher Block, It's made to do cutting boards or any surface that will or may have food contact. A safety and sanitary issue with anything wood.

2309817470065703481S425x425Q85.jpg

2220559830065703481S425x425Q85.jpg

cool.gif

Last edited by irvin56 : 06-01-2008 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Forgot to add stain
progress.gif

Hunter

Newby
We had a Kodiak 195 Hybrid that had a very very large kitchen counter. The quality of the 21fbs overweighed the lack of counter top.

We just purchased the 21fbs in time to put it into storage, but, we are already planning our mods. One of the mods is to put a fold down extension to the counter using 4-Position Folding Brackets from Lee Valley.
http://www.leevalley.com
item number 12K95.01

Attached is a rendition of the proposed mod.

Attachments

• FirefoxScreenSnapz009.jpg
    FirefoxScreenSnapz009.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

hml

Love our 21fbs. Last summer had no problem with room on counter and stove space. Loved it!!! Used our table when necessary, but not often. Lots of room, and not akward at all. Can't wait for May /09 to start camping!!!