Battery advice needed

jandvs

In Feb. we replaced the very poor stock battery on our new 3210 with an Optima D34M AGM battery. It has now gone dead for the 2nd time and will not take a charge. Optima tells us it probably has a dead cell and will have to be replaced. At the time we bought it we understood it was a deep cycle battery but have now learned it is a dual purpose starter and deep cycle together which is not adequate. We don't want another dual purpose and we also have doubts about AGM batteries as a whole since our auto mechanic has told us they haven't lived up to expectations and he doesn't recommend them.

We must do 5 straight days of boondocking while working so must have reliable battery power. We need to know what direction to go - AGM or lead-acid, one or two batteries, how many amp hours, recommended brands.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
For Duration the 6 volt golf cart batteries are the best way to go and I believe they are the only true deep cycle battery out there. I use four of them in my Landmark.

Don

beardedone

Beardedone
Sorry to hear about your batteries. My last set of two golf cart batteries lasted me eight years. I put a new set into my Titanium 2 years ago and didn't hesitate to put them in our new Landmark this year. I wouldn't do it any other way. Just measure everything up so you know how much space you have for two.

jandvs

Thanks for the info on golf cart batteries. That definitely sounds like the way to go. What brands would you recommend? Are there any brands you'd stay away from? Our internet research tonight indicates the Trojan T-105 would be a good choice but the nearest dealer is a 160 mile round trip which we'd rather not to have to make. It doesn't appear the Asheville NC area has much choice in golf cart battery dealers.

beardedone

Beardedone
Sorry I couldn't pull your email up. The batteries I have were made locally so that isn't much help to you. Check around this site and I know that there has been a lot of battery info on RV.NET so you could try there.