King bed

orion7144

So we finally picked up our trailer. We opened our new 3" king memory foam topper and it dwarfs the "king" bed that came in the trailer. Here is a picture.
d09328f9a1c0ce10c50dbf8f20c821f9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

JamesL73

RV king is only 70x80. Regular King is 76x80. I just cut my foam to fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
The mattress size in our 2015 Key Largo is 72 x 80. In our 2012 Big Country the mattress was stated to be a king size but only measured 70 x 80 so go figure the definition of king size.

bwdt

WOW! I pick up my new 5th wheel in three weeks and now I'm worried I won't be able to buy fitted sheets that fit.

I was planning on upgrading the mattress, buy I guess I'll have to find a place that makes custom sizes......

RickL

WOW! I pick up my new 5th wheel in three weeks and now I'm worried I won't be able to buy fitted sheets that fit.

I was planning on upgrading the mattress, buy I guess I'll have to find a place that makes custom sizes......

We just replaced our king mattress today. It’s a 72” X 80” ( which is a European king size wise). We use standard king sheets and while they are a little big you can tuck them under the mattress with success. Yes, you won’t be able to bounce a quarter off them but it works. We purchased the mattress from a web vendor called Mattress Insider ( mattressinsider.com) They sell a number of sizes both in mattresses but also linens.

donr827

I cut down my foam mattress pad with a electric knife. Easy to do. Measure twice and cut once.
Don

david-steph2018

We just went ahead and bought a RV King made by Denver mattress when we got the Road Warrior. But let me tell you the cost was high. We found out later we could had gotten a matt from the Original Mattress Factory at less than half the cost.

ziggysun

Amazon has a wide selection of memory foam RV King Size mattresses also. We replaced our original mattress with a 72 x 80 Brentwood Gel 13" Memory Foam one and it made a huge difference! As for mattress pads or sheets, California King seems to work a little better than regular King for getting a better fit (I have a lightweight mattress pad on the RV Bed in Calif King), but since I have a King Bed at home and had extra sheets I just use those in the RV.

If you go the memory foam route, don't unpack the mattress until it's in the bedroom. They vacuum seal those things and boy do they expand!

LBR

Amazon has a wide selection of memory foam RV King Size mattresses also. We replaced our original mattress with a 72 x 80 Brentwood Gel 13" Memory Foam one and it made a huge difference! As for mattress pads or sheets, California King seems to work a little better than regular King for getting a better fit (I have a lightweight mattress pad on the RV Bed in Calif King), but since I have a King Bed at home and had extra sheets I just use those in the RV.

If you go the memory foam route, don't unpack the mattress until it's in the bedroom. They vacuum seal those things and boy do they expand!
x2 on the Brentwood 72x80 mattress....ours is the 9" and I've never slept on a better mattress in my life.

chasdvorak

As long as we're on the subject of King sized beds, I have a mod that I would like to add to our 2009 BigHorn 3580. I previously installed a King size Sleep Number bed but it is not the RV model which means I too am 4-6" short on the width.

I'd like to replace the bed platform (the part that swings up for under bed storage) with something other then the particle board that was used when the coach was manufactured. I have a storage compartment which is approx 10-12" wide on the right side (sleeping position) of the bed which I plan to remove since I rarely use it. Removing the compartment will give me the extra width but I need to fabricate a wider platform for the mattress. Any ideas other than using particle board. I would even consider some type of laminate if it didn't add too much weight or have problems with sagging in the middle section.

Thanks,

Chuck

GETnBYE

So we finally picked up our trailer. We opened our new 3" king memory foam topper and it dwarfs the "king" bed that came in the trailer. Here is a picture.
d09328f9a1c0ce10c50dbf8f20c821f9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

We did the exact same thing. That even looks like our old mattress and the topper that we bought.
We cut it down to fit and it felt great for about 2 nights, then we both had horrible back aches from it being so soft. I would suggest you sleep on it before cutting it down (not an easy job), if that option is available. With it being on top of the mattress that was in the camper we just sung down into both.
We ended up have a man make us a temporpedic to fit the area that we had.
If you are close to Summerville Ga, look up Southern Bedding. Mr. Spears and his son run the place and they can make you anything you need.
good luck.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Although we have an RV short queen, we went the all foam futon/platform bed route. Otis bed makes numerous models and sizes including custom sized ones. http://www.otisbed.com/

The wanted to upgrade our mattress and had a hard time deciding on what we wanted. We had a Otis futon mattress (Moonshadow model) that is over 12 years old and is still in excellent shape. We thought quite a bit about that mattress and then decided that the durability and comfort were there but wanted something a bit firmer that the moonshadow for the RV so we ended up ordering the RV Short queen sized mattress in the model Halley 110 from http://www.urbanfutonbeds.com/Best-Futon-RV-Mattresses-s/158.htm

We have now had nearly dozen nights on the new bed and have found that it was worth the price and was not nearly as expensive as many of the other brands of mattresses we had considered.

Comes compressed in a box.
Otisbedbox.jpg

Looks like a regular mattress when all expanded out.
Otisbedinstalled.jpg

Last edited:

Gerri

LinenSpa 6 Innerspring Mattress, Cal King.
This is a traditional spring mattress. A quilted fabric cover and inner foam layer provide comfortable sleep, at the same time steel coils give long-lasting support for your body.
Best choice for me.
Was used queen mattress as well.
Geri

Last edited:

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We did the same thing with our bed . I also got a goose down cover for it nice and comfy for us .