Solar Panel Installation

Triber

I installed a solar panel on the roof of my 09 Big Horn. The dealer suggested drilling a hole in the roof above the bathroom, removing the small panel behind the toilet and running the cables down into the basement and then into the controller.

I didn't like the idea of drilling into the roof or removing the wall panel. I mounted my controller in the control cupboard and , after studying the layout, removed the rain cap from the shower air vent, drilled a hole in the side of the stack. I then got into the sub-basement and drilled a hole in the side of the stack. I ran the cables down the stack , siliconed the wires in the holes and replaced the rain cap. From there, it was an easy run to the controller and thence to the batteries.

I used 06 cable for low resistance and I mounted a junction box on the roof near the stack. That way, if I want to add a second panel, It will be a simple matter to tie it in to the junction box.

Triber

Pulltab

I ran my cables down one of the vent pipes, drilled a hole and pulled it thru then sealed the hole back up. I assume your fridge is in a slide out otherwise the fridge vent is the best route.

boatdoc

I mounted our panel on the door side, up front right above the battery's for ease of cable run. Came down the vent for the W/D and out under the dresser and thru the floor right to the batterys. The controller is mounted on the wing wall that the closet sliding doors come to. All in all a very easy install, except paying for the parts.

Triber

My fridge is in a slide so that wasn't practical. Also, I run four 6V golf Cart batteries (series/ parallel) and so I removed the 12V battery in the hydraulic compartment and in the front basement. I mounted my 4 batteries in boxes in the front basement and then installed my Prosine 2.0 inverter in the hydraulic compartment. This means I have a steel panel between the inverter and the batteries but it is only about a 16 inch run for the inverter cables. The battery boxes are vented to the outside. I wanted my solar controller and inverter controller in with the other monitor and switches and this worked out well.